Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

(You Must Read) Fixed Rate or Variable Rate Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gollum
BULLSHIT! All 4 into 1 long tube headers WILL drag especially over speed bumps lowered or not lowered.
Where are you getting this information? The header collectors are NOT the lowest point in the system if you have decent headers (i.e. anything other than SLP headers).
Old 03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BULLSHIT! All 4 into 1 long tube headers WILL drag especially over speed bumps lowered or not lowered.

Anyway...fixed rate springs are easier to dampen than variable rate springs.
Well yeah a speedbump is a different story
Old 03-05-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i stopped my car on a speedbump at various different points and measured about 2" of clearance with my pacesetters - stock ride height

Last edited by iamsickofitall; 03-05-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

All current long tube headers will drag when lowered more than stock.
That is not true.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good read. I was always interested in the performance difference between fixed rate and variable/progressive rate springs. It never crossed my mind that the shock would have to accomodate for the gradient of a progressive rate spring.

I just purchased some Strano springs a few days ago. I knew I made the right choice.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Where are you getting this information? The header collectors are NOT the lowest point in the system if you have decent headers (i.e. anything other than SLP headers).
I have Edelbrocks and the collectors/merge would probably be the lowest point if I didn't have cats welded into the ORY.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Redlinez
Just remembered, mine were Hypercos and I loved them.
I had Hyperco that are included in the Bilstein Tuned Suspension kit. They put my convertible on the ground basically. It was really not drivable. I talked to the President of Hyperco (Kelly) and they have since added a disclaimer they are not for convertibles.

I went with SLP Level II springs (Eibach) on the uppper perch of the Koni in the front and the stock 1LE springs with Koni in the rear. I think its the best set up for the convertible.

I don't race though. I also have 30lbs of mufflers under the rear bumper, 65 lbs. of Dynamat throughout the car, and another 45 pounds of custom sub enclosure and amp in the rear. And I always have a full tank of gas.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:40 AM
TECH Addict

Mine were perfect.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter what you do in the aftermarket world someone will not be happy. It is absolutely impossible to please every customer out there. If Sam was to make a 3/4" drop sping he may gain a few of you for business but loose the others who prefer the spring he offers now. If he was to produce both styles the price for a set would be quite a bit higher because they would be producing half as many of the size he currently carries. This means more design time, set-up time and production time would need to go into the other set. The production numbers of the springs would be lower and the price would go up. For Sam to put 3/4" springs on his shelf they may sell here and there but he may feel that is a lot of investment sitting there to sell one set a month. I am in manufacturing, I know how this works why he has choosen to do what he has.

As for headers and lowering springs. If you buy a good fitting set of headers (Kooks, Stainless Works are good examples) you will have no issues with clearance on a lowered vehicle.

Ryan
Old 03-06-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Really? Wow! Someone had better tell my Pacesetters that they need to start scraping, then.

In reality, the y-pipe will scrape long before the headers, especially if you have a catted y-pipe. Ask me how I know.

A recent thread about this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/664548-progressive-rate-springs.html

Some of the information I said was wrong, but was corrected later in the thread. I feel it was a pretty intelligent discussion.

And your "I know more than everyone else and I'm always right" attitude sucks. A lot.

-Mike
Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I have Edelbrocks and the collectors/merge would probably be the lowest point if I didn't have cats welded into the ORY.
Add that to the list of headers that shouldn't be used with lowering springs then.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Anyway...fixed rate springs are easier to dampen than variable rate springs.
You stock springs are linear, and my StainlessWorks headers don't drag. You need to be carefult about absolute statements...

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Good read. I was always interested in the performance difference between fixed rate and variable/progressive rate springs. It never crossed my mind that the shock would have to accomodate for the gradient of a progressive rate spring.

I just purchased some Strano springs a few days ago. I knew I made the right choice.

we're talking headers here!!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where do you get your information?? You have SLP's so those will scrape going over a flattend pop can in the middle of the street. And judging from your post count, 1000+ I think you would know that your statement is incorrect. Just a guess though.
Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
And your "I know more than everyone else and I'm always right" attitude sucks.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You need to be carefult about absolute statements...

My friend, you have been Next time,
Old 03-06-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You stock springs are linear, and my StainlessWorks headers don't drag. You need to be carefult about absolute statements...
Sam ... are your headers guaranteed not to drag when lowered, if so I will buy a set. How much do they cost with CATS and Ypipe included? My local Summit store has some VERY AGGRESSIVE speed bumps (the high plastic ones) which my car with stock springs and SLP headers will barely clear. Yes KOOKS will drag also when lowered, SLP headers only hang about 1/2" inch lower for better floor pan clearence. I have heard of instances where some floor pan hugging headers (KOOKS, QTP) will knock against the floor pan at idle and while excellerating.

Last edited by gollum; 03-06-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha, no one can guarantee headers not to drag. If he does that, he might as well guarantee his springs to lower exactly 1.5000" on every vehicle, absolutely nothing more or less
Old 03-06-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam...are Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads anygood? I just bought a set at Autozone for $29.99
Old 03-06-2007, 07:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

come on dude... let's get real. I'm not going to tell you anything of the sort, I'd be insane. I'll tell you that my headers use 2.5" collectors, which automatically gets me ground clearance (and I out torqued a set of 3" headers too). No two cars are the same. Maybe your motor mounts suck and the engine sits lower?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can see why a shorty headers would not drag and I have seen pictures of a new TRI-Y LONG tube header with twin 2.5" collectors that I know would clear most anything. But all current 4 into1 long tube headers will drag when lowered.

Are Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads any good?

Last edited by gollum; 03-06-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

But all current 4 into1 long tube headers will drag when lowered.
Wow you really haven't learned anything from these posts have you?

I think it's time you turned in your LS1Tech username.

Quick Reply: (You Must Read) Fixed Rate or Variable Rate Springs