Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

(You Must Read) Fixed Rate or Variable Rate Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen Sam's car up on a trailer. I was standing there looking under it and didn't realize that it had headers on it. I didn't see anything hanging down that made me go "gee, headers". They tucked up well enough that I didn't even pay attention to them and they didn't draw attention to themselves either. Probably one of the best (if not the best) fitting set of headers (as far as ground clearance is concerned) I've ever seen.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's a pic of my Hooker LT's and y-pipe. The lowest component I have is either my driveshaft loop or the left side of my Y-pipe. My Hooker headers tuck up REAL nice. I am lowered ~1" and I don't have any issues with anything dragging.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gollum
I can see why a shorty headers would not drag and I have seen pictures of a new TRI-Y LONG tube header with twin 2.5" collectors that I know would clear most anything. But all current 4 into1 long tube headers will drag when lowered.

Are Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads any good?
My kooks don't drag on any even bumpy pavement. They may possibly if I go over a hill hump, or get out of one of those uneven driveways, but I think other things would drag before they would. Beat that into your head.

Use the search. It's a well known fact that SLP have lower clearance than almost all other long tubes.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is just one tread of several about people being unhappy with there 1.3" lowering springs. Just do a search in the suspension section under dragging, scrapping, too low, etc.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=dragging

My SLP springs will be delivered here by UPS on Thursday.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's Stainless Works late model Fbody headers
http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/i...80_247_256_257
Old 03-07-2007, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just one tread of several about people being unhappy with there 1.3" lowering springs. Just do a search in the suspension section under dragging, scrapping, too low, etc.

Thats why he listed a couple options besides his springs that lower it 1.2-1.3 inches including the SLP springs you bought.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Alright man...time to take a step back. You need to start thinking before you start posting stuff like this.

The springs in question in your first hyperlink are the Eibach Prokits. Those springs are WELL KNOWN to drop the car more than their advertised 1.3". In reality, it ends up closer to 1.75"-2". That was even eluded to by the poster (who said his was dropped 1.75"). That IS too low...but that's not what Sam's springs drop (he made sure they drop an exact 1.2" with testing). If you would have looked into this, you would have known of this issue.

You are the one that chose headers with the worst ground clearance. You now have to pay that price. If you would have done the leg work, you would have realized this, and steered away from them. My Kooks headers are NOT the lowest point on my car, and there is no arguing that point. You are making a blanket statement without taking all the facts into account.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Sam ... are your headers guaranteed not to drag when lowered, if so I will buy a set. How much do they cost with CATS and Ypipe included? My local Summit store has some VERY AGGRESSIVE speed bumps (the high plastic ones) which my car with stock springs and SLP headers will barely clear. Yes KOOKS will drag also when lowered, SLP headers only hang about 1/2" inch lower for better floor pan clearence. I have heard of instances where some floor pan hugging headers (KOOKS, QTP) will knock against the floor pan at idle and while excellerating.

Get it into your thick skull...the Kooks headers themselves WILL NOT DRAG. They simply do not hang low enough to do so. My SLP subframes hang lower than my headers. You have very little grasp on reality.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is the reason I put the ground control set-up on my car. I can pick the spring rate and adjust the ride height to what ever I want. Works great. Does not cost that much more. Get what you want. The best of all world.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, started off with springs rates, moved to headers, and then a reversal to buying springs

anyone?

next time
Old 03-07-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last car that I installed SLP springs on didn't drop the front at all. None. The rear looks great, the front looks stock. I hope you have better luck.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

As an SLP dealer I appreciate the fact you supported the one vendor who came in here looking to help. That's sarcasm, I never even got the chance to price the parts...
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-07-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
As an SLP dealer I appreciate the fact you supported the one vendor who came in here looking to help. That's sarcasm, I never even got the chance to price the parts...

another reason i'm lookin for the good ole sam...just the way it was written, i figured he didnt talk to you or order throuh you
Old 03-07-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I just looked at that thread link Gollum posted. I might give the soda can test a try myself this weekend just for sh*ts and giggles. I didn't however find anything that would indicade a widespread opinion that longtubes drag.

Sure if I go over a speedbump big enough, I might drag. And if I go over it at 40 mph I'm gonna hit something. I did end up bumping something last weekend that was metal. Just because you hit something going over a speedbump too fast, doesnt mean you will drag stuff on a bumpier than normal road
Old 03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That's because he obviously knows more than you, Sam.

/sarcasm

-Mike
Old 03-09-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
The last car that I installed SLP springs on didn't drop the front at all. None. The rear looks great, the front looks stock. I hope you have better luck.
The stiffer front 0.50" drop SLP springs will work perfectly with my future 100lb heavier iron block project. The extra 100lbs WILL lower the front even more.

Look Here...this is cool!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/671143-slp-l92-cylinder-head-manifold-package.html

Last edited by gollum; 03-09-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You really don't get it..... The springs are stiffer because they are lower. But the amount stiffer they are isn't much relative to the lowering. Basically you just exchanged a little rate for a little height.

And lest we forget... LT1's are iron blocked cars and we use the same shocks/springs, etc. on them.

Never mind, I'm clearly clueless here.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sam...adding 100 more pounds on the front will not lower my 2002 SS? I know when I prop against the front fender the front of car will lower.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

The SLP springs are the perfect spring for my future iron block project.

Last edited by gollum; 03-09-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm an SLP dealer I guess you missed that. SLP springs don't jeopardize my business. Maybe you're right though, because I tend to sell what I know works correctly for the job, and I don't like to sell things based on poor assumptions and understandings. Clearly I'm missing out on easy money.

And FWIW, I couldn't have sold you stock springs, which is what I said might be the best option in the first place.

Quick Reply: (You Must Read) Fixed Rate or Variable Rate Springs