Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

subframe connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default subframe connectors?

Trying to get some opinions on adding a pair of weld-in subrames connectors on my 98 t/a coupe. Ive read that it will increase frame rigidity reducing squeaks and rattles, but they will make the car ride much harder. Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant even tell they are there but thats me
Old 03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't want to get into another debate on the worthwileness of SFCs.....but...

The difference will be minimal at best.

What I can tell you for sure is:
1-your wallet will b lighter
2-your car will be heavier

There are just plenty of more worthwhile ways to spend $ on these cars. I had some and took them off.

Just MHO
Old 03-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed your car is a hardtop though subtleZ. Doesn't that negate the need for SFC's or at least reduce any positive effects they would have. I would assume that's why you chose that particular platform for handling? Most T-top cars SEEM to benefit from them for the same reasons any unibody car without a top would.
To answer your question Blacked Out, most people that have them just feel the car has a more solid feeling and less squeeks and rattles...not a harsher ride. That comes from other suspension mods. Again, this based on opinions from people I know that have them, not neccessarily fact. SubtleZ actually uses his car for autocross competition so he would know handling. Every car is different though!!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks fellas!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:07 AM
11 Second Club

I didn't notice anything from sfcs. 35 lbs but im happy to have them, maybe they help for something worthwhile.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
I noticed your car is a hardtop though subtleZ. Doesn't that negate the need for SFC's or at least reduce any positive effects they would have. I would assume that's why you chose that particular platform for handling? Most T-top cars SEEM to benefit from them for the same reasons any unibody car without a top would.
I wish my opinion on the T-top Vs hard top issue was more educated, but...
Based on what I've read, and how my headliner looks, ther is minimal difference between hardtop and T-top cars. Just a composit pannel covering the roof rather than Ts. My car still has the beefy center roof support.

Granted, that Is why I chose my car...and it is low mileage (19k when I baught it last year). So I can see where you are coiming from.

I've been in these SFC debate threads a few times. I do not claim to be an expert. Just a little skeptical about SFCs as there benifits are not proven. I have a hard time paying 4 something that only FEELS Better. Just want some facts on my mods.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bolted on my slps and the car took corners better. i vote yes for them.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by subtlez28
I have a hard time paying 4 something that only FEELS Better. Just want some facts on my mods.
I'll agree with that statement!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
i bolted on my slps and the car took corners better. i vote yes for them.
No offense 3.4...but that is exactly what I 'm talking about. What the #&!! does that mean EXACTLY????
Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

I wish my opinion on the T-top Vs hard top issue was more educated, but...
Based on what I've read, and how my headliner looks, ther is minimal difference between hardtop and T-top cars. Just a composit pannel covering the roof rather than Ts. My car still has the beefy center roof support.

Granted, that Is why I chose my car...and it is low mileage (19k when I baught it last year). So I can see where you are coiming from.

I've been in these SFC debate threads a few times. I do not claim to be an expert. Just a little skeptical about SFCs as there benifits are not proven. I have a hard time paying 4 something that only FEELS Better. Just want some facts on my mods.
the sides on the roof are also solid, and I doubt the t-top part is structural there. I put SFC's on my car and didn't feel a damn thing, I'm probably going to keep them on though since it would be a huge PITA to grind all the welds off, + they are a nice jacking point.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put weld on SFC's on my '91,and it definitely got rid of some squeaks and rattles.They made the car a hell of alot more stiff,it wasn't just me that thought that,I had a few friends ride in it and they said it before I told them about them.I'm going to put them on my '02 and a STB too.I felt improvements with both when they were on the 3rd gen.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
the sides on the roof are also solid, and I doubt the t-top part is structural there.
Sounds right, thanks. I'd love to see the structure benieth the panel or headliner. Any one know where i could find some pics of this--->not willing to rip my car apart 2 c.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put on a set of UMI sfc's and I can tell they're there for sure. The ride is stiffer for sure. And that's good & bad. It's good when I'm cornering or entering a drive at an angle and the body doesn't flex or squeak like it did. It's bad when I hit a bump on the road at speed and it feels like the whole car skips over the bump where before it felt like those types of impacts were more absorbed. I think it's a good mod overall, especially if you're adding power and plan on pushing your car hard at the dragstrip or track.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

No offense 3.4...but that is exactly what I 'm talking about. What the #&!! does that mean EXACTLY????

it means I FELT the difference. FELT! That's what you wanted right? The *** end didn't swing around during VERY tight corners. I'm talking about around a light poll in the parking lot. As soon as I put them on at school, I took the car out and went around the parking lot. Did a few tight turns and I FELT that they kept the car more rigid. I am happy with them.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds right, thanks. I'd love to see the structure benieth the panel or headliner. Any one know where i could find some pics of this--->not willing to rip my car apart 2 c.
I've got pics from my t-top conversion. HUGE difference between t-top cars and hard top. Basically on a t-top car, look at the round exterior support side of the t-top itself, that is the exact size and dimension of the metal support that was cut out to get the t-tops in. You are losing a HUGE part of the frame and support on both sides of the roof to put the t-tops in. I will try to get home and get the pics up soon, I don't have a scanner though so I might have to find someone with one first. Knowing what I know, I would recommend them for a t-top car. I may or may not put them on my hardtop though, I can't decide if they will be worth it at the drag strip. I think I am more scared to tweak my frame than anything since I run stickies at the strip. I can see why you question the need on a street car, but on a drag car that leaves the line HARD I would think they are surely helpful
Old 03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
I've got pics from my t-top conversion. HUGE difference between t-top cars and hard top. Basically on a t-top car, look at the round exterior support side of the t-top itself, that is the exact size and dimension of the metal support that was cut out to get the t-tops in. You are losing a HUGE part of the frame and support on both sides of the roof to put the t-tops in. I will try to get home and get the pics up soon, I don't have a scanner though so I might have to find someone with one first. Knowing what I know, I would recommend them for a t-top car. I may or may not put them on my hardtop though, I can't decide if they will be worth it at the drag strip. I think I am more scared to tweak my frame than anything since I run stickies at the strip. I can see why you question the need on a street car, but on a drag car that leaves the line HARD I would think they are surely helpful

I did a ttop conversion on my Z, those metal things you cut out are just stamped sheet metal. I was able to bend it and break it with my bare hands. There is no way that is doing anything for the car. 4th gens were designed with ttops in mind and those metal things you cut out dont do anything, just there to support the fiberglass roof.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
I did a ttop conversion on my Z, those metal things you cut out are just stamped sheet metal. I was able to bend it and break it with my bare hands. There is no way that is doing anything for the car. 4th gens were designed with ttops in mind and those metal things you cut out dont do anything, just there to support the fiberglass roof.
Mine were nowhere NEAR as flimsy as you describe. They were solid
Old 03-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by shudog
I put on a set of UMI sfc's and I can tell they're there for sure. The ride is stiffer for sure. And that's good & bad. It's good when I'm cornering or entering a drive at an angle and the body doesn't flex or squeak like it did. It's bad when I hit a bump on the road at speed and it feels like the whole car skips over the bump where before it felt like those types of impacts were more absorbed.
Exactly my experience - except the bad (impact harshness) is more noticeable than the good (rigidity in cornering).

Quick Reply: subframe connectors?