Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone Interested In 14" Brake Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edit: Evo calipers ARE NOT a direct bolt on. Their mounting points are 30mm off stock specs.
Bringing this back up because I've been doing a lot of thinking to try to get a similar kit to fit behind 17" rims. Evo calipers have the same mounting distance between the spindle / caliper mount holes, as the caddy so they should also be a direct bolt on (130mm EDIT: this is not true, evos have 156mm mounting points). From all the pics I’ve seen, It looks like they have shorter mounting extensions, which should bring them closer to fitting behind smaller rotors. I’m considering picking up a set of calipers and trying to make them work with either stock or c5 (most likely C5) rotors. Im worried a bit about the offset, but Im thinking thats somthing a washer or two can solve.

Heres the Evo VIII / IX calipers EDIT: THIS IS NOT ON AN F-BODY SPINDLE

Heres the Caddy's

I think it would be a better option and much more feasible than trying to mod and re-drill a spindle like Jason was mentioning earlier.

Pic for reference

What do you guys think? worth a shot? Am I missing anything?

Last edited by hpjunky98; 07-24-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're halfway there. The problem is not the mounting distance from the center of the hub, it's the offset of the rotor. These dual piston brembos, whether they are from an EVO, STI, CTS-V, or whatever, are too thick. The outer part of the caliper (part that says Brembo) comes in contact with the wheel spokes.

The 14" CTS-V setup actually fit (diameter wise) in my stock ZR1 wheels...the problem is you will have to run a 3/4" (I think that's right) wheel spacer. What needs to happen is push the caliper back toward the engine. Problem with that is there is no rotor with enough offset to compensate (at least not a one piece regular production rotor). I've called about getting custom 2 piece rotors made, and they will make them, but they are expensive.

So unless you have a wheel with thin spokes that are flush with the lip (i.e. C6 wheels), this is a no go. It might be able to be done with a smaller diameter rotor (lots more cars with 13" and under running around) but then you lose all the benefits of the multiple pistons...unless you are just looking for looks.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fast377
You're halfway there. The problem is not the mounting distance from the center of the hub, it's the offset of the rotor. These dual piston brembos, whether they are from an EVO, STI, CTS-V, or whatever, are too thick. The outer part of the caliper (part that says Brembo) comes in contact with the wheel spokes.
I thought that an inch of clarance ( what i currently have from the spokes) would be enough.
When I look closer, the caliper only has about a 3/4 inch gap between it and the bolts on the inside of the wheels.

The 14" CTS-V setup actually fit (diameter wise) in my stock ZR1 wheels...the problem is you will have to run a 3/4" (I think that's right) wheel spacer. What needs to happen is push the caliper back toward the engine. Problem with that is there is no rotor with enough offset to compensate (at least not a one piece regular production rotor). I've called about getting custom 2 piece rotors made, and they will make them, but they are expensive.
How much do they run? Have a link you can PM me? most likely out of my price range though.

So unless you have a wheel with thin spokes that are flush with the lip (i.e. C6 wheels), this is a no go. It might be able to be done with a smaller diameter rotor (lots more cars with 13" and under running around) but then you lose all the benefits of the multiple pistons...unless you are just looking for looks.
The evos run 12.6 dia. rotors with this calipers. They seem to perform well enough. Granted, its not a 100% optomized set-up, but I don't understand how I would loose the effectiveness of the multiple pistons. The only appearance mod I have done to my car is the wheels, and they were 90% for performance in the first place. Im a function over form kind of guy. I wouldn't do much "just for looks"

Thanks alot for the info. Guess I need to keep looking around

Last edited by hpjunky98; 07-23-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check out the other thread for this "CTS-V...something different" all the dimensions and everything are in there. As well as the reasoning behind the inefficiency of the smaller rotor. I'll see if I still have the emails regarding the custom rotors. If I do, I'll copy everything and send it to you in a pm.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. Ive spent hours reviewing that thread. Thought I had it all figured out lol.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, that thread is a lot to take in. I met up with Ed (the brake conversion master) after he figured out the CTS-Vs would bolt right up with the 14" Z06 rotor. I brought a few wheels to test fit...threw around some ideas, but didn't come up with much.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think your forgetting that the rotor can not go back any further. It's close to maxed out already with the F-body offset. You would need to run a spacer to clear the spokes and then either live with the tires sticking out some or else shorten the A-arms to reduce the track thereby bringing the tires back in.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I think your forgetting that the rotor can not go back any further. It's close to maxed out already with the F-body offset. You would need to run a spacer to clear the spokes and then either live with the tires sticking out some or else shorten the A-arms to reduce the track thereby bringing the tires back in.
So by that logic, wouldn't it be better for clearance issues for smaller wheels to try to use the stock LS1 rotor with the max offset with Evo calipers (which as you know have smaller mounting extentions)?

I know that this is'nt taking full advantage of this caliper or using it to its full potential, seeing as the LS1 rotor is only 12", but I still feel this may prove to be an option.

Now honestly I don't even know if this is possible. It looks like the mounting points are just about 1" less on the Evo caliper than the CTS-V one. So this may require a C5 rotor (because its 1" less than the 14" rotor the Caddy mounted to.).
Old 07-23-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
So by that logic, wouldn't it be better for clearance issues for smaller wheels to try to use the stock LS1 rotor with the max offset with Evo calipers (which as you know have smaller mounting extentions)?

I know that this is'nt taking full advantage of this caliper or using it to its full potential, seeing as the LS1 rotor is only 12", but I still feel this may prove to be an option.

Now honestly I don't even know if this is possible. It looks like the mounting points are just about 1" less on the Evo caliper than the CTS-V one. So this may require a C5 rotor (because its 1" less than the 14" rotor the Caddy mounted to.).
The offset difference between the f-body and the vette rotor is about 1/4" I think. So yeah, they would be the better rotor, but is 1/4" more clearance better than a 1" diameter increase?
Old 07-23-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good point. But for some people It may be a neccesity to fit they're wheels, although a 1/4 inch more of a spacer isn't really that bad to gain what you've lost. Im not sure about mine yet. Im going to pull them off and look when I get home. I have 10.5s in the front, so hopfully the offset isn't terrible and the C5 rotors might be an option.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good info here.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok if i can fit these calipers and maybe the corvette rotors under my 10 spokes i will do this!! also consider guys that there is some choices from BMW since they have the same bolt pattern, maybe an M3 or M5 rotor? and so ur saying the cts v caliper bolts up to my stock spindles? correct??? please let me know if i can fit this under some 17X9's 10 spokes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ae13291
ok if i can fit these calipers and maybe the corvette rotors under my 10 spokes i will do this!! also consider guys that there is some choices from BMW since they have the same bolt pattern, maybe an M3 or M5 rotor? and so ur saying the cts v caliper bolts up to my stock spindles? correct??? please let me know if i can fit this under some 17X9's 10 spokes
Like I said at the beginning, this isn't really for the guys wanting to run smaller rotors. 14" is a bolt on, everything else adds expense and complication.
EB Miller might be able to make a bracket to allow the 13.4 Vette rotors, but the 12.9" are just too small for these calipers.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Like I said at the beginning, this isn't really for the guys wanting to run smaller rotors. 14" is a bolt on, everything else adds expense and complication.
EB Miller might be able to make a bracket to allow the 13.4 Vette rotors, but the 12.9" are just too small for these calipers.

The 12.9inch rotor is about an inch shorter than the C6 Zo6 rotor, with the same offset, correct? Assuming that the Evo caliper has 1" shorter mounting extentions, this has the potential to be a direct bolt-on as well, just like the Z06 rotor and the Caddy Calipers. There should be no need for a bracket with Evo calipers. Caddy calipers with a 12.9 inch rotor would need a bracket, but thats not what im suggesting to use.

I still think that the 12.9 inch rotors have some potential, because the Evos stock run a 12.6 inch rotor with these exact calipers. Again, Its not the best setup, but It might be worth a shot. EB has the parts, and he was contimplating trying it in the large original thread, but i never saw an update.

"Brakes are large Brembo(R) discs with aluminum opposed calipers, combined with EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution) and Sport ABS to help ensure stability (ABS is not available on the RS trim). The front brakes utilize a large ventilated 12.65-inch (320 mm) rotor and strong four-piston calipers, while the rear uses a two-piston caliper and solid 11.8-inch (300 mm) rotor design." http://www.exoticcarsite.com/pages/mitsubishi_evo8.htm

Edit: For anyone looking at this setup, I havn't tried it, nor do I think it will work behind most wheels without a spacer, but with the right wheels, It MIGHT bolt right on like the caddy calipers did with the larger rotors.

Last edited by hpjunky98; 07-24-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, about the 2 rotors having the same offset.

Evo calipers may work, but I don't know anything about them. My intention was always for 14"+ rotors and cheap calipers.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you ever get a chance to pick a set of Caddys up? Should look amazing behind your wheels.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Banned

i really want to know if the evo calipers will work, i want to help u guys out too since i really want to do this for my car, how thick does the rotor have to be for the caddy calipers and i wonder if its the same for the evo ones, this would work on 17's if we can use a corvette rotor with the caddy or evo calipers. or maybe i can get my dad to machine me some brackets to use with the calipers, im going to watch the brembo brakes on ebay and see if i can win a cheap set of calipers, and if i do i will try to get a bracket machined to fit on to a corvette rotor or find maybe another rotor with the same specs. what about the rear caddy calipers? can those also bolt right up? maybe with our stock rotors?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ae13291
i really want to know if the evo calipers will work, i want to help u guys out too since i really want to do this for my car, how thick does the rotor have to be for the caddy calipers and i wonder if its the same for the evo ones, this would work on 17's if we can use a corvette rotor with the caddy or evo calipers. or maybe i can get my dad to machine me some brackets to use with the calipers, im going to watch the brembo brakes on ebay and see if i can win a cheap set of calipers, and if i do i will try to get a bracket machined to fit on to a corvette rotor or find maybe another rotor with the same specs. what about the rear caddy calipers? can those also bolt right up? maybe with our stock rotors?
The calipers should bolt right up, in the correct possition (with a washer or two) with c5 or z51 calipers (not sure which one works yet). You shouldn't need a bracket. Thats what Jason's been trying to achive... a bolt on brake kit using stock parts. Im just trying to get a little smaller kit for the 17" wheel guys. If you do get a set of calipers, in which case you might outbid me, get a set of C5 rotors from autozone and see if everything bolts up. I can almost gurentee your going to need spacers for the front wheels to fit these calipers though.

Still, Im not 100% possitive this will work. Do this at your own risk.

EDIT: The Evo calipers do not have 130mm mounting points. they have 156mm. This is NOT a direct bolt on.
Sorry for the confusion. Sucks cuz I just bidded on a set on ebay and might win

Last edited by hpjunky98; 07-24-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
The calipers should bolt right up, in the correct possition (with a washer or two) with c5 or z51 calipers (not sure which one works yet). You shouldn't need a bracket. Thats what Jason's been trying to achive... a bolt on brake kit using stock parts. Im just trying to get a little smaller kit for the 17" wheel guys. If you do get a set of calipers, in which case you might outbid me, get a set of C5 rotors from autozone and see if everything bolts up. I can almost gurentee your going to need spacers for the front wheels to fit these calipers though.

Still, Im not 100% possitive this will work. Do this at your own risk.

EDIT: The Evo calipers do not have 130mm mounting points. they have 160mm. This is NOT a direct bolt on.
Sorry for the confusion. Sucks cuz I just bidded on a set on ebay and might win

how about the sti or 350z brembos?? my buddy has a 350z let me see if he can let me remove of the calipers to try onto the spindle. it would be great if somebody can giv me a old c5 rotor or something to try, because i dont want to waste money buying it for nothing, so let me get this straight b4 i do more research. the caddy calipers bolt right up to the c6 z06 rotors with some shims but a 18' wheel needed, the evo calipers will not work? lol hope u dont win those calipers
Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

and also in order to fit a 13' rotor wit the caddy caliper dont we have to move the mounting bolts more to the center?

Quick Reply: Anyone Interested In 14" Brake Kit?