Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Body mount torque arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Body mount torque arms

Search is not working for me right now so here ya go:

It is about time that i start looking into getting an ajustable torque arm for the car. I want to get a body mount torque arm to take the stress off of the tail housing, however I have been hearing stories of the body mount torque arms causing bad vibrations and making bumpy roads unbearable.

Is this true about body mount torque arms? Which body mount torque arm is the best..............Also I will need one to clear LT's and possibly true duals in the future

Thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same predicament as you. I wanted a tunnel mount t/a but I refuse to give up my x-pipe/TD setup. I talked with Ryan from UMI and the solution is to buy the trans mounted t/a and the relocation bracket kit. That setup tucks into the body much nicer and allows for true duals with an x-pipe. As for quality, you CANNOT beat UMI.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i like my jegster torque arm
Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 AM
TECH Junkie

A plusssss for the jegster bar 12yrs,now the adjustable one is goin in soon
Old 03-19-2007, 03:45 AM
TECH Resident

I vote for the BMR transmission crossmember with TA relocation.
I have this on my car with the TH400 and I really like the setup.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by revtime
I vote for the BMR transmission crossmember with TA relocation.
I have this on my car with the TH400 and I really like the setup.

Glad to hear you like the setup. This is the type of setup I would recommend. The long style torque arm with our adjustable relocation mount will allow you fine tune the placement of the arm. This adjustability will allow you to obtain the best available clearance with exhaust and ground and over all performance. If you have any questions about our products please feel free to ask

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 03-20-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depends how sensitive you are. I have tried several set ups and can not tolerate anything but a tailshaft mounted torque arm
Old 03-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Teching In

sorry to jack the tread.... but how many low time slip f bodies arm running a torque arm relocation bracket compared to a tunnel mounted torque arm?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Plenty of fast cars on full length torque arms. BUT a shorter tunnel mounted arm will have an advantage over the longer arm at the starting line
Old 03-20-2007, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

So, would the relocation brackets and a full length arm be more street friendly as far as noise and vibration goes?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS14PSI
I am in the same predicament as you. I wanted a tunnel mount t/a but I refuse to give up my x-pipe/TD setup. I talked with Ryan from UMI and the solution is to buy the trans mounted t/a and the relocation bracket kit. That setup tucks into the body much nicer and allows for true duals with an x-pipe. As for quality, you CANNOT beat UMI.
I dont have true duals but this is the set i have.BMR adjustable tourque arm and relocation bracket
Old 03-22-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
So, would the relocation brackets and a full length arm be more street friendly as far as noise and vibration goes?
Noise and vibration is all about how much squishy material there is between the torque arm and the sheet metal of the car.

The most quiet is a stock torque arm because it is surrounded by 3/4 of an inch of rubber and is attached to the transmission which sits on a rubber bushing

A tunnel mount like UMI has 2 polyurethane bushings

A relocation crossmember has 1 polyurethane bushing.

The tunnel mount has 2 bushings but IMO is attached to a noisier part of the floor. The relocation crossmember is attached to a quieter part of the floor but has one less bushing. They're both going to cause noise and vibration, take your pick. Some people can tolerate it, but I couldn't.

Last edited by OldeSkool; 03-22-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:28 AM
12 Second Club

I have UMI relocation trans support (M6) . no noise or vibration felt. other then it feels like I can real feel the road now. IMU has only one polyurathane bushing on it. I'm running TD's with no problems.

fuerzaws6
Old 03-24-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got the yank trans crossmember with a random tech torque arm mounted to it
and you can feel the vibration even after I rubber mounted the crossmember.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Launching!

get your duals fit to your torque arm, thats what I did. yes there will be more vibration, but if your doing duals you don't really care about that anyway
Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS14PSI
I ordered the tunnel brace mounted adj torque arm based upon printing copies of their install pics on their website and crawling under car to size up clearences... the tunnel brace mounted torque arm fit great... am glad I didnt go with the tranny mounted set-up

Originally Posted by Heartless
Well, although UMI promised a 4-5 day turn-around that actually took 4-5 weeks, I feel the need to stick up for them... I ordered an adj tunnel brace mounted torque arm. I have a Vert, which means I automatically have chassis/suspension issues, I have true-dual exhaust with the "X" crossover right above the tunnel brace and a stock 10 bolt rear end.... It was a pain in the *** slipping (actually horsing) the torque arm over the brackets on the rear end, and due to the "X" crossover being close, was a bit of a challenge getting the bolts entered and tightened on the front bushings... but other than that, the torque arm fits like a glove with no BFH adjustments required anywhere.... and btw, I'm no mechanical wonder, but It took me and my WIFE about 90 minutes to complete the install....

http://heartless.us/35LESSModsindex.html

Quick Reply: Body mount torque arms