Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

You guys lie about sfcs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my SFC's. I use them as jacking points.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Which is why I suggest modding your suspension and getting your car where you want it to be...before trying subframe connectors.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems pretty much a waste to get them just to use as jacking points, especially when you can already jack up the car just as easily without them.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

There has been plenty of heated discussion on here on the value of SFCs. I don't think any one is a liar for saying they can tell a difference......but.....I (and many others) feel they are not necessary or the end all be all some think.

Feeling a diff doesn't mean much. It definatley doesn't proove them worthwhile or (the ever popular) "BETTER".

There was a thread on here discussing the dredded 1/4 dimples. A guy suggested they are caused by crush zones over the axle. Personally I think he is correct. Besides SFCs tie into the floor, well ahead of were the 1/4 dimples form.

People expect way too much of SFCs. At best they tie into 6 pieces of sheet metal (welded or bolted). They cannot cure all the shakes and torsional stifness. I suppose it could improove it some...but it would be tough to measure.

Bottom line....what people may or may not FEEL doesn't mean much 2 me.
What I can tell you for sure if you add SFCs:
1-Your car will be heavier.
2-Your wallet will be lighter.

Beyond that, if it feels "better" and make you happy---GREAT.
I personally took mine off and sold them. I sincerely hope the new owner is happy with them.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

i have a pair sitting in my garage that were never installed.... sometimes you just have to make sacrifices!
Old 03-24-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

SFC are a great addition to any F body but they simply do nothing to reinforce the rear of our cars. The connect the front and rear unitized long members. The rear long member or unitized frame rail is a two piece rail with a "very" weak point "crush zone" just behind the rear seat or cabin erea. This acts as a hinge and allows the rear of the body to flex just enough that we get the dimples in the quarter panels. The quarter panels are a structural component on our cars and they do get a lot of torsional stress applied to them. I also have seen countless stock unmodified cars with the dimples and I feel it has far more to do with the rough roads or driving habbits than the torque output of the engine tweaking them. I have cut these cars appart and pieced them back together enough times that I know the inner structure of them like the back of my hand. The only thing that will add structural support to the rear of the car is a roll cage. My Mecham had a Wolf 6 point installed when it was brand new and its never shown any signes of this problem. My last few Fourth gen F bodys had the dimples long before I did any mods to them. I would also think removing weight from the rear of the car like the spare tire ect. might help slightly to relieve the problem.

The next time you jack your car up take a look at the rear rails right above the rear axle with a flash light you will see the weak erea im talking about.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

You might feel a slight difference if you get SFC's but it will be absolutely nothing compared to a shock, spring, or swaybar upgrade
Old 03-25-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

I have a set of weld in SLP sub-frames sitting in my basement waiting to go in. I wonder if I should even have them put on now.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I added my Kenny Brown DD's first. They were one of the first mods I did. Long before any power mods. I noticed a difference right away in cornering and bumps. I've since replaces all factory parts except for the SLP pro rate springs. The car handles tight. Very tight.

Recently had an off road incident. The SFC's saved the car from a total. With all the money and time and effort I had into my car I wasnt looking for an underpayed insurance check. If I look at it from that stand point alone they were worth the money but its the performance in the beginning that made them stand out. They've been on the car so long I forgot to put them in the sig
Old 03-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Launching!

The first year I had my car back in late '01, I had problems with the front end alignment. My tires would have abnormal wear, I would get the front end aligned, then the problem would com back. I had a pair of Hotchiks SFC welded on about a year and a half later and never had a problem with tire wear since. I don't know if it's just coincidence or if that solved the problem. Either way, my car did feel "tighter" when I launched it after getting them installed
Old 03-26-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not confident that SFC's matter so much on a hard or even T-top car nearly as much as on the verts when it comes to the street. I never would have needed or wanted SFCs on my T-top car. However the squeaks and rattles in the vert placed KBDDs in the first round of mods. They cleaned up almost everything and gives a much tighter feel. I agree that they may make for a harsher ride. Overall I was very pleased with them though.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

That was coincidence. They don't even hook anywhere near the front suspension. Your last alignment was just better, or didn't slip (and both bad alignments and slipping bolts are common).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-27-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

i didnt notice too much of a difference with the SFCs.. i think it definitly complements my lcas & phb.. car just feels stiffer, nothing like a night and day difference
Old 03-27-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

No SFC for me.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Teching In

I've never tried them on a 4th generation f-body, but they made a HUGE difference on my '92 Firebird with T-tops. The third-gens are much weaker than the fourth-gens though.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

If all else fails it provides a good jacking point
Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Does anybody have any pics of these dimples in the rear quarters? I went 100K miles without SFCs. After I put them on, I felt no diffrence. I think they are a hold-over from the time when sub frames used to be mounted to the body with rubber body mounts. Or am I just hitting the crack pipe again?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Good read... looks like I learned one more new thing not to buy right away. Thanks everyone for your honesty about the SFC's. It's threads like these that really help some of the new guys out when making their decisions on which mods to do and which mods not to do.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:06 AM
12 Second Club

I noticed a difference on mine, when I launch front left end used to go up higher then right side. with sfc front end lifts even, not to say from rear it not but, I have t-tops and I believe it stiffens the chassis. on other hand I dont think sfc would be needed on non t-top bodies. just my opinion. I happy, cant see to drive my car with out them. doesn't rattle as much.....

fuerzaws6
Old 03-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

My 98 had sfc on it when purchased. I noticed a slight difference over the 97 i had. But the best thing above the sfc? Two weeks after i bought the car i got hit on the rr quarter panel. When i took it to the body shop, the guy said "all that bracing under there" probably helped keep the frame from getting tweaked. Idk if that's bs or not, but it sounds like pretty cheap insurance to me.

Quick Reply: You guys lie about sfcs.