Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

installed umi adj tq arm, great quality but horrible fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default installed umi adj tq arm, great quality but horrible fit?

Hello, yesterday i had my umi adj tq arm installed and when we got it on the rear. Moser 12 bolt it was pressed aginst the tunnel while on the lift with the suspension un loaded. we ended up having to hammer the tunnel to get it to work and fit good??? why did i not read about this at all anywhere? i have a 99 z28. i wish i left it stock.. my installer called umi and they told him they never had a issue before?? i must have a rare car or something?? im just a little dissapointed in the fit. anyone else have a issue? thanks

Last edited by 99zman; 03-24-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you specify a torque arm for the 12 bolt because i know when you order it it as what rear end u have
Old 03-23-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

the tq arm i received can be used for the 10,12bolt and 9 inch.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99zman
Hwhy did i not read about this at all anywhere?
I've heard of that a lot, actually. Sam Strano mentioned it when I ordered the same torque arm from him. There are lots of people in the gears and axles forum that have mentioned it. Most people I've seen either hammer the floor pan a bit or wait for it to dent itself.

-Mike
Old 03-24-2007, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well first, we never told you we have never had an issue. We said that is common, either your installer is lying to you or totally mis-understood us or didn't even listen. What you are seeing is common with ANY aftermarket torque arm and esp. on a 12-Bolt. The 12 bolt housing is bigger then a 10-Bolt, there for it pushes the torque arm to the drivers side and closer the tunnel area. The stock arm is ok because it is so small and thin and doesn't matter. Again, every brand aftermarket torque arm is going to do this. It's a downfall when installing aftermarket parts on your car and making other companies parts work together.

This problem is also worse when the car is lowered, is the vehicle lowered? If so that is one issue you may be seeing. A solution you can look into is cutting off our first set of mounting holes and using the inner set, this is why they are there. This will allow the torque arm to slide onto the rear end further and away from the tunnel area. But please before cutting make sure with it being cut it will still work on your specific rear end. Also does the vehicle have an adjustable panhard bar? We asked the installer but I can't remember, he said the rear was good and center but since he told you different then what we said did he even check that? An adjustable panhard bar will allow you center the rear end under the vehicle and can help get the rear away from the tunnel area as well. Also just denting the floor a few times with a hammer will cure the issue too.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, I just really wish the information was straight and correct before posting.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-24-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know about ya'all, but the first time I took a BFH to my car, the way I looked at the car changed. Before that it was beautiful, fragile, almost feminine; after smashing the innerfenders with a 4# hammer a few times for tire clearance, it is all race car!

Ryan is 100% right, things like this are just part of the game.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

I AGREE WITH RYAN
center the rear end to help pull it away.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Well first, we never told you we have never had an issue. We said that is common, either your installer is lying to you or totally mis-understood us or didn't even listen. What you are seeing is common with ANY aftermarket torque arm and esp. on a 12-Bolt. The 12 bolt housing is bigger then a 10-Bolt, there for it pushes the torque arm to the drivers side and closer the tunnel area. The stock arm is ok because it is so small and thin and doesn't matter. Again, every brand aftermarket torque arm is going to do this. It's a downfall when installing aftermarket parts on your car and making other companies parts work together.

This problem is also worse when the car is lowered, is the vehicle lowered? If so that is one issue you may be seeing. A solution you can look into is cutting off our first set of mounting holes and using the inner set, this is why they are there. This will allow the torque arm to slide onto the rear end further and away from the tunnel area. But please before cutting make sure with it being cut it will still work on your specific rear end. Also does the vehicle have an adjustable panhard bar? We asked the installer but I can't remember, he said the rear was good and center but since he told you different then what we said did he even check that? An adjustable panhard bar will allow you center the rear end under the vehicle and can help get the rear away from the tunnel area as well. Also just denting the floor a few times with a hammer will cure the issue too.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, I just really wish the information was straight and correct before posting.

Thanks,
Ryan
Hello, the rear is centered, i do have a adj phb. if we moved it out any more the right wheel would be sticking out. my car is lowered. about a inch and a quarter. my installer has done many other brands and he told me they will hit on a hard launch or over big bumps in the road, not usally while the car is on a lift. then it will clearance its self......but with the car on the lift and just the tq arm mounted it was pressed aginst the tunnel with no load on it. what if my suspension was loaded? we had to hammer the tunnel about a foot legnth wise to make it clear. was that hard to do? no. did i really want to do that? no. but what choice we have???? why didn't you tell him that we could have cut off the other mounting holes? he never told me that was a option. i completly understand about making aftermarket parts getting to work together. i think this was a turning point for me to leave the car alone after this is all done. i already had a headache with my mustang, and i dont want this car to become one too. i just read the instructions it came with. i dosen't say on them that hammering the tunnel may be needed to get the tq arm to fit. or posible could cut off the other mounting holes. you may want to put that in there.. like i said i have a few umi parts and they have the higest quality and i had no issues with the others parts, the tq arm is nice and works great, just wish i didn't have to hammer my car to make it fit.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1pwrdss
I AGREE WITH RYAN
center the rear end to help pull it away.
the rear was centered.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I work with an old guy that was telling me about installing headers on a Hemi Road Runner in the early 70's, and he had to take a sledge hammer to the car for clearance. First thing that came to mind was how some restorer probably wanted to choke the crap out of him.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
I work with an old guy that was telling me about installing headers on a Hemi Road Runner in the early 70's
Old 03-25-2007, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

We make our parts around a stock platform, once you start added other aftermarket parts we can not control what is needed to make it all work correctly. The vehicle is lowered, this is causing the body to sit lower to the ground. When you bought the springs did the seller tell you if you had an aftermarket torque arm you may need to use a hammer? The 12-bolt rear end is a much bigger housing then factory, it pushes the torque arm to the drivers side. When you purchased the rear end did they tell you you may need to use a hammer to make an aftermarket torque arm fit?

The point I am trying to make is if you installed that torque arm on a stock rear with stock springs there would be no issues. But since you are using it in conjunction with other aftermarket parts it appears its our fault that it won't all work together? Why did the installer not call Moser and ask them why there rear end is so big? This is all part of the game when doing this, if you have a headache now be prepared for bigger future mods. We will do what we can to help and we always to try to make all our parts work with as many aftermarket suppliers as we can but that is an impossible task. That is one reason why we added the second set of holes for different rear ends.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 03-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Well, although UMI promised a 4-5 day turn-around that actually took 4-5 weeks, I feel the need to stick up for them... I ordered an adj tunnel brace mounted torque arm. I have a Vert, which means I automatically have chassis/suspension issues, I have true-dual exhaust with the "X" crossover right above the tunnel brace and a stock 10 bolt rear end.... It was a pain in the *** slipping (actually horsing) the torque arm over the brackets on the rear end, and due to the "X" crossover being close, was a bit of a challenge getting the bolts entered and tightened on the front bushings... but other than that, the torque arm fits like a glove with no BFH adjustments required anywhere.... and btw, I'm no mechanical wonder, but It took me and my WIFE about 90 minutes to complete the install....

http://heartless.us/35LESSModsindex.html

Last edited by Heartless; 03-25-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

We make our parts around a stock platform, once you start added other aftermarket parts we can not control what is needed to make it all work correctly. The vehicle is lowered, this is causing the body to sit lower to the ground. When you bought the springs did the seller tell you if you had an aftermarket torque arm you may need to use a hammer? The 12-bolt rear end is a much bigger housing then factory, it pushes the torque arm to the drivers side. When you purchased the rear end did they tell you you may need to use a hammer to make an aftermarket torque arm fit?

The point I am trying to make is if you installed that torque arm on a stock rear with stock springs there would be no issues. But since you are using it in conjunction with other aftermarket parts it appears its our fault that it won't all work together? Why did the installer not call Moser and ask them why there rear end is so big? This is all part of the game when doing this, if you have a headache now be prepared for bigger future mods. We will do what we can to help and we always to try to make all our parts work with as many aftermarket suppliers as we can but that is an impossible task. That is one reason why we added the second set of holes for different rear ends.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Like i said earlier, lowered or not.. the car was on a lift with the suspension full extedned downward, and the tq arm was pressed aginst the tunnel while on the lift... i dont think the car could have even been put on the ground it if was hitting how it was on the lift. To answer your question when i got the the 12 bolt installed, it fit like a glove. the lowering springs also fit like a glove and i no rubbing issues at all. until i put in the tq arm that where the problem came in. we had to hammer the tunnel and now it fits ok. if i knew then what i know now i would have kept the stock one in there.

Hope this helps,
Bob
Old 03-25-2007, 03:27 PM

Wow, I should really stay out of this, but................Calling the installer ( a good friend of mine) a liar, kind of pissed me off. He is probably the best LS1/LS2 mechanic/tunner in New England.

I reccomended the UMI parts to Bob, and helped him install his LCA's, Panhard rod & shocks. I have UMI parts on my car and do want one of your Torque arms. I also did not want to tackle the Torque arm on BOB's car, because I knew what was involved. And I Reccomended the "Installer" because of how good he is.

Ryan, I agree with most of what you said, Just wish you had not posted what you did about the installer. He installs a great deal of your parts.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Wow, I should really stay out of this, but................Calling the installer ( a good friend of mine) a liar, kind of pissed me off. He is probably the best LS1/LS2 mechanic/tunner in New England.

I reccomended the UMI parts to Bob, and helped him install his LCA's, Panhard rod & shocks. I have UMI parts on my car and do want one of your Torque arms. I also did not want to tackle the Torque arm on BOB's car, because I knew what was involved. And I Reccomended the "Installer" because of how good he is.

Ryan, I agree with most of what you said, Just wish you had not posted what you did about the installer. He installs a great deal of your parts.
Dave, I have no idea who the installer is, I do not know his name or company so sorry to have that come out that way. We told the installer we have never seen a car rest on the torque arm before the suspension was loaded, we never have. This means the car is extremely low or something else is wrong. But what Bob posted was we told the installer we have never seen one of our torque arms hit the floor before... which is false. Information has gotten left out at one point, rather the installer mis-heard or when posted Bob left it out. I am not sure which one it is, I just wish it would have been posted more clearly instead of making us look like we do not know what we are talking about. We install these on a daily basis, we know what can go wrong and how to help correct issues.

If any other aftermaket torque arm manufactored wanted to step in they would tell you there set-up does the same thing.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 03-25-2007, 03:45 PM
FormerVendor

To answer your question when i got the the 12 bolt installed, it fit like a glove. the lowering springs also fit like a glove and i no rubbing issues at all.
And all I am trying to say is... if you would have put the torque arm on first it would have fit like a glove too. But since the rear end was already in and the springs in the torque now has to be item that fits horrible. Like Heartless said, on a stock rear his fit perfect. But now if and when he goes to install a rear end he will see the same thing you are and he will need to make adjustments from there.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-25-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

We told the installer we have never seen a car rest on the torque arm before the suspension was loaded, we never have. This means the car is extremely low or something else is wrong. But what Bob posted was we told the installer we have never seen one of our torque arms hit the floor before... which is false.

Thank you,
Ryan
What my installer told me as i posted above was that he has seen the tq arm's (other brands) hit on a hard lauch or a big bump in the road. he has never seen them rest on the tunnel while the suspension was unloaded. He has seen them hit the floor before, hard launch or big bump, but not with a unloaded suspension. regardless it's in and it's over now.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:18 PM
FormerVendor

What my installer told me as i posted above was that he has seen the tq arm's (other brands) hit on a hard lauch or a big bump in the road. he has never seen them rest on the tunnel while the suspension was unloaded. He has seen them hit the floor before, hard launch or big bump, but not with a unloaded suspension. regardless it's in and it's over now.
We actually never have either, with the suspension being unloaded. Just a misunderstanding.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-25-2007, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

ill say this i have installed both umi and bmr stuff im not being partial to umi just because i sell there products by any means but i will say this out of the after market suspension products i have installed on f bodies umi products have fit the best. one other thing yall have to relize is no 2 cars are exactly alike ive come across this alot.
i have put several umi torque arms on 12 bolts cars with no issues but then again these cars did not have lowering springs on them either so i think that may have been your whole issue.

Quick Reply: installed umi adj tq arm, great quality but horrible fit?