Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: street driving w/out front sway bar?
yes I do it-not that dangerous
57.65%
no-I like corner carving-it's too dangerous
42.35%
Voters: 451. You may not vote on this poll

street driving w/out front swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a freind do it before we drove to the track which was a good hour to an hour 1/2 away and we took back roads and he was in front of me and carving those corners like he had it on. All i can say is i gave him plenty of room and was waiting for him to fly into a tree! He is also now permantly riding on skinnies and i wouldnt be suprised if he never re-installed the swaybar. Ill never do it but thats just me, i think this thread is getting alittle to rowdy though, lets not go crazy fellas.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it off if you want. It won't be any worse than a car with low tires and worn out shocks... If that's what you want your car to drive like. Braking may be scary on a bend.

Safe is relative I guess. My car handles good, so I end up driving faster. Is that safe?

Personally I can't stand driving floaty, wobbly, leaners. But that's me.

Please be nice guys, and remember that we don't all have 10 second streets cars or even want one. Turning and Braking is always a good thing for the street. And if you want to learn by trying.. go ahead. I wouldn't do any street racing though, even in a straight line without a bar.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CamTom12
I scan ahead and use proper spacing. Also, I don't drive on the street like an *******. There are no emergency lane changes using these techniques, haha
Yea, until some idiot starts pulling out of a parking lot or a street without looking, I've had it happen, driving exactly the way you were talking about. When you're driving you only have the ability to control what you are doing, not what happens around you, and we all know **** happens. Just for the record, I've never driven !swaybar.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Wow, it was awsome how people said "if you want to hurt or injure yourself go head and take it off." That was a bit retarded, and I have a good feeling they have not driven their car without a sway bar. If you "test" your car without and drive like your in the indy 500, yes it is going to make a difference, since that would be considered "hard cornering" and thats what the bars are made for. If you drive normal, even a lil on the fast side, and take corners fast enough to make em a lil fun, it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Its not going to make the car "unsafe" for the street, nor a harm to anyone else. However, I would not remove the rear unless there was a anti-roll bar in place b/c it causes the car to weave around and could lead to a wreck.

I know I wont be able to say anything good about strano parts. There is more to buying a product than just the product, and thats the company behind it. That attitude and name calling to people that might even be, or in the future become customers is just **** poor!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

"If you drive normal, even a lil on the fast side, and take corners fast enough to make em a lil fun, it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Its not going to make the car "unsafe" for the street, nor a harm to anyone else."

-----Sure, the cars limits are just lower, but hope you like oversteer.

"However, I would not remove the rear unless there was a anti-roll bar in place b/c it causes the car to weave around and could lead to a wreck."

------A sway-bar is the same thing as an anti-roll bar...also taking off the rear bar creates understeer or "push/tight", which is much easier to control and safer for most people. If the rear shocks and springs are too soft, then you remove the bar, the rear will be even more unstable.

"I know I wont be able to say anything good about strano parts. There is more to buying a product than just the product, and thats the company behind it. That attitude and name calling to people that might even be, or in the future become customers is just **** poor![/QUOTE]"

------Sam does get frustrated some times.. We all have bad days. It's your call who you want to deal with.

Last edited by Greggy; 04-04-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for breaking down my post. In my case, it would be fine, b/c the only people that would consider it, would be people who straight line race, there is no need for it honestly, and it does not make it unsafe for street racing nor driving, it wont be as tight, or hard corner as good, but you shouldnt be hard cornering on the street anyway.. ;-)

If your into autocrossing, its a given, you need a front sway bar, even a stiffer one, but that does not make the ones who take it off stupid.

As far as the rear sway bar or anti roll bar is concerend, the "push/tight" might be easier to control on the street, or autocrossing, but on a dragstip, or straight line racing, it is dangerous. The rear of the car weaving back a forth, then you trying to correct it, compiles and it can lead to you losing control. As i already said, I would not remove the rear sway bar unless there was an anti roll bar in place, makes sense huh? The only reason to go from a rear anti sway bar to a anti roll bar is b/c in higher hp cars, or harder launching cars, the anti roll bar does a much better job of keeping the car level.

Yes, your right, it is to each his own when dealing with sponsors or vendors. But calling board member, your customer base ignorant and stupid, is not good public relations. Im sure if anyone was talked to like that they would not appreciate it.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

So you're saying a larger rear sway bar..say 25mm... is called an anti-roll bar? I thought they were the same thing. I know a big rear bar helps to launch straight and even.

Anyway I guess it just depends on what you're comfortable with. I'm not a strip person, so balance is my goal.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Greggy
So you're saying a larger rear sway bar..say 25mm... is called an anti-roll bar? I thought they were the same thing. I know a big rear bar helps to launch straight and even.

Anyway I guess it just depends on what you're comfortable with. I'm not a strip person, so balance is my goal.
Understood, different types of racing = different types of setups. A big rear bar will help to lauch straight and even, but a anti-roll bar will do a better job.

Anti- roll bar: http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...ff/rollbar.jpg

Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had numerous conversations, both on the net and by phone, with Sam. He really does mean well, he just has a bad way of going about it.

Also, the sway bar-anti roll bar thing is new to me, too. I thought they were the same thing. ???
Old 04-05-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drag Racing Auto Cross

We need a pole like this.
If I want to drive my car as a daily driver should I keep the front swaybar on or is it safe enough to take it off?

Choices:

I have never driven without it off, but say keep it.

I have never driven without it off, but say go ahead remove it.

I have drove without it and say go ahead remove it.

I have drove without it and say keep it.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eLTwerker
Also, the sway bar-anti roll bar thing is new to me, too. I thought they were the same thing. ???
They are the same in that they use torsion bars (bars with a set amount of twisting ability, or give .. like a spring) to prevent / control or limit body roll. Anti roll bars are multi pieced and normally adjustable and sway bars are single pieced and are fixed settings.

Last edited by junior28570; 04-06-2007 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

I do it no problems, no sway bar, 9" with detroit locker, and on 315 drag raidials. Drive it in the rain too, not as dangerous as Ive heard people say, just dont think your driving a LeMans car in wet weather.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

interesting
Old 04-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Banned

I drive my nova on the street without a sway bar. It also has 3" front tires. That should be a consideration too, swaybar or not your not making any emergency maneuvers safely with 3" tires.
Some people need to come to a realization here, our cars don't drive themselves, I don't find myself flying down a highway with other cars on it, hell with the gearing of a drag car top long term cruise is about 60 mph for me.

As for a sponsor acting like an *** in a forum....take a business class man. I have a drag only car with no swaybar, an opinion that might differ from yours, and another car that might need a product you sell, act like an *******, you don't know who's reading or what they're thinking about you.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

i havent had a sway bar on my car for over 4 years and its a daily driver. in fact i dont even know where the hell it is if i wanted to put it back on.

it isnt dangerous or unsafe. most people that ride in my car dont even know its gone
Old 04-15-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

ive done no front sway bar id drop the et .2.5 taking it to 12.678 instead of. 12.834 when the car was bone stock. but i hade some idiot in a civic come into my lane one run and because of the body roll being much more i lots control and spun around to avod the wall by pullingb the e brake but all the same there is agreat risk driving without it. i the street i never went over 50 mph. thats just my 2 cents
Old 04-15-2007, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm

it isnt dangerous or unsafe. most people that ride in my car dont even know its gone

I had mine off the camaro for over a year and a half with no problems
Old 04-16-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm just curious.. what about removing the front swaybar helps in drag racing? Like I'm looking for a detailed explaination why. I know it helps, I just don't know why it helps.

I assumed it help if you had a 10 second + car on slicks so that your steering input wouldn't be too twitchy and help prevent losing control.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

1) any weight off the front is a good thing

2) the front sway bar ties your lower control arms to the frame of the vehicle to control body roll during cornering. problem with that is that it also ties the lower control arms the the frame when your launching which prevents the front end from coming up easily and prevents weight transfer to the rear of the vehicle
Old 04-16-2007, 05:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I drive my nova on the street without a sway bar. It also has 3" front tires. That should be a consideration too, swaybar or not your not making any emergency maneuvers safely with 3" tires.
Some people need to come to a realization here, our cars don't drive themselves, I don't find myself flying down a highway with other cars on it, hell with the gearing of a drag car top long term cruise is about 60 mph for me.

As for a sponsor acting like an *** in a forum....take a business class man. I have a drag only car with no swaybar, an opinion that might differ from yours, and another car that might need a product you sell, act like an *******, you don't know who's reading or what they're thinking about you.
I haven't tuned in here lately because this thread is absolutely absurd. And I'm quite sure that comment was directed at me. And you can think I'm being an *** by telling you the truth. I don't need a business class to know that some folks like their ego's stroked. But I also don't have the reputation of telling folks the truth (even if it costs me a bigger sale, etc) by lying to them. So while you think it's bad business for me to tell you all you're insane for running without a front bar, I simple don't. And maybe you need a suspension dynamics class more than I need a business class (notice he didn't say business *ethics* class).

This is the suspension and braking forum, not the make by car handle like a turd, stop like crap forum. The idea is to make cars work BETTER, not worse. And I readily admit that for drag racing that no front bar is a working idea. I also recommended either disconnecting it, or removing it for that purpose. Where are folks like you just blindly tell folks it just isn't necessary and it's not dangerous. The only ones who think it's fine are the straight liners, and a lot of them even realize that the car is much more stable with a bar than without and have re-installed one for street use.

Could you run a Powerglide on the street? Yep. Smart? No, but hey... who needs more than 2 gears really?

Keep the "take the bar off" talk in the drag race section, or qualify statements like "it's safe" for what they really are--that Joe hasn't had any issue for drag racing. But let's not pretend like the laws of physics don't exist and it's just fine to not have one on the car and working. There's a big difference between safe and just not having an issue. We all know idiots who don't wear seatbelts, and they think it's no problem.... until they get ejected from a car and killed. It's plenty safe................. until it's not.

Re-read pewter02z28gs's post. That's exactly the problem with no front bar. And anyone who claims to see no difference with and without one wouldn't be able to tell a Corvette's handling from Chevette's either.

And this is not a drag vs. autox thing. This is a suspension thing and driving a car on a road and having it be safe and work correctly is about stability and balance and neither are things that come from no front bar.

The thread is about STREET driving without a bar. Not about DRAG RACING without a bar, and it's IRRESPONSIBLE for you to say that taking 30mm of front bar of a car makes no difference, or that the difference it does make doesn't matter.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: street driving w/out front swaybar?