Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspensions are packages... they must work together

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Default Suspensions are packages... they must work together

Why is it that people think they can just toss parts together, or only change say a couple of shocks or springs and have it work correctly? The suspension is the one system on the car that is at work all the time. Cruising @ 25 mph, running 130, crawling over speedbumps, launching, carving back roads, stopping....

Because your suspension has to do so many things, it's not just a matter of tossing some parts on--unless you want a mess in the end.

If you wanted some more power, would you only put on right side headers and leave the manifold stock? Maybe only change half your valve springs when you put in a big cam? Replace 4 of 8 injectors? I don't think so. So why is it that people think it's ok to replace only two shocks? Did you leave the other half of the car @ home when you drive it? Of course not, so how can two shocks be junk and two be just fine? They can't. The issue is if you change just two, you'll quickly find out the other two aren't so good either. Not to mention a huge mismatch in damping is not safe. Hell, with 4 worn shocks at least the whole car is underdamped, which tends to slow folks down more.

I beg you all to take things like this into consideration. This doesn't mean that all parts have to be change together. There are times when changing just one swaybar is fine (and times it's not at all ok). But bars aren't wear items, and they are in no way as poor as the stock shocks on this car either.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good reminders for the crew Sam.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting take... I would never have guessed anyone would only want to change 2 of the 4 shocks/struts...that's kinda nuts.

Suspension is such that once you get it set, it's much less expensive and lasts longer in the long run than engine mods. Just something you got to "nail" before you have the car you want.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well if you read much in this forum you will see all kinds.

1. I don't need a front sway bar, GM didn't know what they was doing I run doing 100+ its fine. LMAO

2. I put some 200 pound rear springs and 650 front springs, will some used decarbons be ok for the first year?

I mean you see everything.

I think has some good points.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Someone please make this a sticky!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Someone please make this a sticky!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:58 PM

You could go into more detail about individual parts and What works for what?

I'm prety new to the suspention. I did just the rear QA1 shocks (mainly for drag racing) and they were free. New too. I would like to change the fronts as well, but it's not top on my list right now.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I sure Sam could write a book. The search feature has a lot of good detail! And most of the time he likes to talk to you to "see" what you need. Some people want Sams advice and then go back the part over at XYZ for 10 dollars cheaper and then they get no pre or post sale support or explanation on anything.

Sam will not SELL you stuff you don't need.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davered00ss
You could go into more detail about individual parts and What works for what?
HAHAHA...You have to call him to get any info. But it would be nice if Sam wrote a good sticky on suspension.

Last edited by gollum; 04-07-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Very good point ,thanks to bring it up Sam! i would also like to add tire´s into this discussion, people are buying the cheapest crap they can find without thinking of the performance. All in here have at least 300hp in theirs car and dont care about the consequences of underdimension/wrong part adding to theirs vehicles, so crazy!
Old 10-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Great Post Sam. I'm a graduated from UTI in Phx. Az. and you would be amazed how tech's out in the field do half *** work like that. For example I actually saw a tech try to sell a customer only one shock for his vehical and replace only one side of the vehicals brake pads. The rule of tossing things together applies arcoss the board in anything.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like you are venting out from a customer. I just have this to say:

People don't know these type of things. I've learned a lot of information from these boards about how cars work. I was not afraid to ask questions. I eventually learned about matching shocks to your spring rates. I'm sorry, I didn't know that before. I am sure at one point of your life you didn't know about these things you are referring to in the thread right now.

People don't come out of their mother's knowing Suspension tech. That's why we ask professionals. Quit your whining and bitching.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nah ^

Hes not complaining about people who dont know anything.

The problem is that people will spend months researching which set of headers they will buy. A year figuring out what head+cam package is best for their application and then finally. they'll stop in here one day and say "Hey, i saw an Ad for QA1... looks good to me, anyone else like em?" then before they even get a response they run out and buy some.

The problem is this last-minute, get it over with as fast and as cheap as possible attitude towards suspension.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
people will spend months researching and flooding Tech with the same damn question on which set of headers to buy.
fixed

And yes I agree with what you actually said.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

when I bought shocks I replaced the rears first. Needless to say I ordered the front shortly afterward as the cars balance was out of wack.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I understand that. Just keep your composure. You come off as a lil' dick when you **** and moan about Suspension Tech.

I have had a few questions with Predator-Z and Patrick G and they've been very professional and patient with me and others. I like how they don't belittle you but try to help you learn.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think Sam should write a sticky! Anyways, I will be calling him today to order a nice suspension package!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

HAHAHA this is the funniest thread ever. I was just thinking about ordering 2 shocks at a time to save money and a set of springs...I guess Im not how do I go about getting hold of you sam I'm trying to figure out suspension and I dont know much.Good thing I happend to be reading around about it and found this!

Almost Messed up Jim
Old 10-03-2007, 01:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Let me be clear.....

Suspension is not a black art. And I'm willing to (and you know that I do) explain things to folks wanting to learn. The point of this thread is quite simple, I'm not going to give you a list of A, B, and C, unless I know what you are trying to do. Maybe that comes across as whining. I really don't know why it would. I'm trying to tell you that when you call a business and essentially tell them "I know nothing, what do I need?", you're asking for trouble. I'm different. I prefer to actually get folks what they NEED. Trouble is I can't know what they need until I know what they are looking to change.

I'm not asking for anyone to never ask a question. I'm asking for folks to use their heads and realize that they have to work with me to get them a correct package for the results they seek. As such I need to know what results they seek. And yes, it's frustrating when people want to use me as a crutch and do no independent research. I think I'm trustworthy, but I don't think you'd walk into the GM dealer and say "sell me a car" without having done some checking and knowing a bit about what you want. You could well leave with a Cadillac instead of a Corvette.

And if you'd stop for just a second and acutally read my responses you'll find that I'm to the point. I answer what I'm asked when I *can*, but I don't blow smoke up people's asses. I think that's helping them learn as well. I'm not a school teacher. I run a business, and that business involves the right parts for the right results. It's not a technical school or a slumber party. I don't think you'll find many instances of folks hating me. Maybe some, because I have in the past not sold parts I knew wouldn't work and that has twisted some folks off. And that's ok, I can't be all things to all people. And frankly, I don't want to have customers who are willing to accept internet chatter without asking why, or is that right for me.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Last edited by Sam Strano; 10-03-2007 at 01:20 PM.