Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Doing my suspension tomorrow, any tips for a 1st timer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007 | 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

My recommendation (even though I may be too late) make sure you tighten the top nut on the front shock/spring to its recommended torque spec. You'll need a deep socket and torque wrench to do so. If not the front end will feel like it is falling apart the second you hit even the slightest pot hole. You may need a vise grip to hold the shaft from spinning also.

Also not sure if you were supporting the spindle in the 1 pic, but your brake line looks like it was stressed the **** out. Put a box or something under the rotor to hold from stretching the brake line.

The rears are easy, a little tip to save time would be to cut an allen key so you can put it on your drill. Hold the bottom nut and drill with the allen key and you'll be done in seconds as opposed to wrenching forever.
Old 04-07-2007 | 12:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
My recommendation (even though I may be too late) make sure you tighten the top nut on the front shock/spring to its recommended torque spec. You'll need a deep socket and torque wrench to do so. If not the front end will feel like it is falling apart the second you hit even the slightest pot hole. You may need a vise grip to hold the shaft from spinning also.

Also not sure if you were supporting the spindle in the 1 pic, but your brake line looks like it was stressed the **** out. Put a box or something under the rotor to hold from stretching the brake line.

The rears are easy, a little tip to save time would be to cut an allen key so you can put it on your drill. Hold the bottom nut and drill with the allen key and you'll be done in seconds as opposed to wrenching forever.
I was supporting the spindle - if you look at the bottom you'll see the top of a jackstand there holding it up.

As for the rears, I just picked up a nice 17MM ratcheting wrench, and it was done in no time. Thanks anyway though!

Quick Reply: Doing my suspension tomorrow, any tips for a 1st timer?