Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel hop! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel hop! Help!

I went to the track on drag radials tonight and the car wheel hopped so bad that it jarred the cat back off the back of the car. I have adjustable BMR parts as follws
-panhard
-LCA's
-torque arm
-QA1's in the rear

This didn't happen untill I switched from the 12 bolt to the S60. I have the pinion set at negative 2 degrees off the torque arm. Everything is set up the same as the 12 bolt was and it never wheel hopped with that rear. I have a M6 2000ss @ 3650lbs h/c. Anybody that has any suggestions would greatly help me out, because I'm stumped at the moment.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get the UMI weld in relocation brackets. Guaranteed to work. My wheel hop was so bad with MT DR's it felt like the car was going to shake apart. I got the RB from Ryan at UMI. It took me about 2 hours to weld them in good. I used the bottom bolt hole and from then on ZERO hop.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigdsz
Get the UMI weld in relocation brackets. Guaranteed to work. My wheel hop was so bad with MT DR's it felt like the car was going to shake apart. I got the RB from Ryan at UMI. It took me about 2 hours to weld them in good. I used the bottom bolt hole and from then on ZERO hop.
Cool thanks....any more suggestions anybody?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Shock settings?
Tire pressures?
Pinion angle is set thru a comparison with the driveshaft, not the torque arm...
Old 04-07-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Shock settings?
Tire pressures?
Pinion angle is set thru a comparison with the driveshaft, not the torque arm...
Shock settings was on # 1, whatever that means. ( there 12 way adjustable)
Tire pressure was at 20 psi cold on nitto drag radials 275/40/17.
Pinion angle is set to the driveshaft. I was just saying that it was negative 2 degrees and I set it by the torque arm. Is 2 degrees to much? I was allways told to go negative 2.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Talking The setting of..

Originally Posted by 2 fast 2000
Shock settings was on # 1, whatever that means. ( there 12 way adjustable)
Tire pressure was at 20 psi cold on nitto drag radials 275/40/17.
Pinion angle is set to the driveshaft. I was just saying that it was negative 2 degrees and I set it by the torque arm. Is 2 degrees to much? I was allways told to go negative 2.
1, is dead soft. It may be you should start at 6.. 50/50, and tune from there. Being full soft, they are not likely to control the hop.

The pinion angle is Ok, as long as the bushings and control arms are not distorting, and allowing the angle to go above zero.
I've not used the Nittos, but have had good results with the M/T's. [We did alot of testing for them, some yrs ago, and the ET streets were killa!!]

Quick Reply: Wheel hop! Help!