Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Subframes-Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subframes-Worth it?

Well after doin a little reading and checking around I am unsure if I want to install my subframe connectors. I have a set of SLP Bolt in that I got for a good price, and I noticed they will add a little weight to the car, I plan on supercharging my car and know that it would be a good idea to have them but should I wait to install them, I have minor mods nothing to big so are they needed or will it just be added weight?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

they're definitely on my to-do list....from what i've heard, they're well worth it
Old 04-09-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

There are literally dozens of multi-page threads on this topic. Search is your friend.

I took them off my to-do list. I'll worry about it AFTER the suspension is completely done, if the need for them arises.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have them. SLP bolt-in SFCs. I bought them right at SLP in Toms River, NJ from a head shop manager. I am not impressed. I did not notice a huge difference. In fact some of the diferences I think I might feel, are just in my head because I installed them and I expect a difference. Upon, installing them myself, I came to find out that my chassis seems twisted. I couple of the holes where the SFCs connect to the tunnel brace, didnt line up perfectly. I DID have to slightly drill out one hole to make them fit. I tightened down every bolt that CAME WITH the SFCs as hard as I could, since they give no torque specs. And also used blue thread locker on all of those. The 4 bolts where the tunnel brace is, have a fairly fine thread, so I was worried about tightening them too much. I did not use thread locker on those, and I will be checking on their tighteness tomorrow. Possible taking them out and putting thread locker on them as well. The LCA bolts are, well, snug. I did not notice a huge difference, my t-tops still rattle, and most bumps still seem to be felt throughout the whole car. I am seriously considering taking them off and selling them.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Teching In

I have the UMI bolt-in SFCs and they really did make a difference in my car. They definitely tightened up the whole car an eliminated some rattles and squeaks. The most noticeable thing for me is that when you go around a turn it feels like the whole car is turning at once instead of the front going through the turn followed a second later by the rear.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RobA300
I have the UMI bolt-in SFCs and they really did make a difference in my car. They definitely tightened up the whole car an eliminated some rattles and squeaks. The most noticeable thing for me is that when you go around a turn it feels like the whole car is turning at once instead of the front going through the turn followed a second later by the rear.
My konis did that as well. If you have them, why not just install them. They are last on my list of suspension stuff to do, if i even do them.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Easy answer Yes put them in every F-body should have this done as one of the first mods IMO. Keep those bodies nice and straight!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Teching In

there worth the money keeps the body straight and go with weld ins seem to work better.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed a diff. when my BMR SFCs were welded on. Then again I had stock suspension at the time. I'm considering taking it off when I finish my suspension to see if i notice a difference, but that wont be for a long while.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

I believe its worth it. But I too have the weld in ones, from spohn. After installation my car felt very solid. Before the weld-ins my car had a very loose feel to it, it didn't seem to be planted to the ground. After weld-ins, the car feels very stable. When launching the car, it stays straight and true, also it helps to prevent wrinkles in the rear quarter panels if your car sees any track time. Although the steering wheel now has a heavy feel to it, the benefits of the sfc out weigh the added weight.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I shouldve went with weld-ins.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You can get the bolt-ins welded after-the-fact.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Today I installed a set of bolt in SFC's. My first impressions were the car felt stiffer. Not a huge difference, but now when I drive over bumps the whole car doesnt rattle. Dont get me wrong, it wasnt like I drove around and thought, man this is a totally different driving car. They do their job, but dont expect to feel like your driving a newer car. All in all, Im happy with them
Old 04-11-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

If you don't autox and want to jack up the entire side of your car quickly, get them in. If you want to improve your stock suspension, get better shocks
Old 04-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

I have a popular boxed type weld in. No difference in my opinion. It does have more vibrations and road feel. Stiffer=more interior rattling over bumps etc.
I wasn't impressed. Plus it's developed more body wrinkles after they were installed.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Launching!

i just bought the BMR boxed SFC's hopefully they make a difference for me
Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just love trolling these SFC threads.
Mine were my first suspension mod and made a world of difference.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

How many people that say they are not worth a **** put them on with the suspension unloaded that is my question???????
Old 04-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I usually chime in on these SFC threads to warn guys from my own experience. Yes, they made my car feel tighter, but at the price of a much harsher ride. I had to get Bilstein shocks to mitigate the harshness and so it proved to be a very expensive mod. SFC's are the only mod I've done to my car that I regretted afterwards.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't feel as passionately about this as I used 2. I did bolt-on SLP SFCs as one of my 1st mods. I think the ride was harsher, and I bottomed them out on a driveway (SLPS hand LOW!-you can see them uneder my car in the sig pic). So I took them off and sold them after more research and my personal experience.

Its hard to realy measure how well/if they work.

What I know for sure is:
1-they make the car heavier
2-they make your wallet lighter

I wouldn't go as far as to call them worthless, but I think your mod $ is much better spent elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Subframes-Worth it?