Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Those with DMS springs...COME IN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with DMS springs...COME IN!!!

Just looking for pics of DMS springs on peoples rides....I would mainly like to see T/A's but if you have a Camaro POST THEM UP too!!!

Also any complaints or issues about them? also please post what shocks your using.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

no one has these springs?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

There are a TON of pics of spring pics in the sticky at the top of the section. Please read stickies....... Here are some pics anyway:
Rear Isolators Removed

With Rear Isolators

Have A Nice Day!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did not see any pics of a T/A in the sticky....maybe I overpassed them

Oh and btw your little smiley was rude...if you dont like answering questions....why post a comment or come to a message board....thats what they are there for!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here s a pict of mine a while back. I'll take a couple more and post them tomorrow.

Here are my impressions:
-The car looks awesome it has a nice rake, I was lowered by a tad over an inch. The front is perfect and about as low as I would go.

-The car turns much flatter and hardly dives when breaking hard.

-Driving around town is still decent hardly noticeable from stock, it is a bit rougher on crappy roads. Large pot holes will send you to the Chiropractor! (valving on my shocks is set fairly stiff). I'm using Koni Double Adjustable.

-rear spring is a bit softer than the 1Le so I experience a bit more rubbing with my 18" corvette rims (need a bigger spacer), however this happened on extreme race track cornering. Nothing on the street.

-I have to be really carefull over entrance ramps and such. I have a tranny mounted Torque arm and the cross brace hangs pretty low. Yes lower than my Longtubes. So I've scraped it a few times, mostly just testing how high a ramp or or incline I could go over.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

SWEET!!! Looks killer!!! yeah if you could take some more it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

I apologize if it sounded rude at all, I was just informing you that stickies are there for a reason. So that way the same questions dont get asked over and over and over again.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Xx01CamaroZ28xX
I apologize if it sounded rude at all, I was just informing you that stickies are there for a reason. So that way the same questions dont get asked over and over and over again.
Sorry to hijack. ^^You are an example of the reason Ls1tech > cz28.com. Instead of starting an immature flame war, you simply apologize and move on. That is all.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Banned

Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

The DMS springs have their rates listed on that springrates page that I think a few people have posted for you. Here's the info from that page:

front rate: 325-630
rear rate: 95-160
drop: 1.30"

So if your thinking of these, they aren't really in Sportline spring ride height territory that you were saying was your top priority in your other thread. On another note if you do want this ride height, why not get a spring that has a linear rate. The progressive rates sound cool, but no shock has a progressive rate to catch up to the differences in the spring. So the spring will be dampened well sometimes, and other times not. If you want this ride height, I suggest a set of Strano springs which are around ~500 front and 150 rear. It's a perfect balance for the car's weight distribution and a good balance to prevent too much over and understeer.

I know you don't want to race your car, but a street setup and autox setup pretty much go hand in hand. It's not like apples and oranges. They both pretty much want the same front to rear balance.

What made you interested in the DMS springs anyway?

ps. Take the stuff people say lightly here. Imagine these are just your friends bustin your *****. Expect opinions about suspension setups to be taken very personally by occasional people, especially if you are going for an unusual setup
Old 04-11-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I decided on DMS springs cause of the drop....I have seen Strano springs and they dont drop the car as far as I want my drop to be....Yeah I have decided against sportlines, cause it seems you cant have a decent ride with them and thats what Im after...

I want to go as low as possible without having a horrible ride...It seems like the DMS springs will put me right on where I want to be..

Originally Posted by Xx01CamaroZ28xX
I appreciate your apology, its just I did search thro the sticky and did not see any DMS spring setups....maybe I missed them....Also I wanted comments on them as well...I actually did a search and there were very few threads about them.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Funny considering they claim 1.3 and I say about 1.25" and have the measurements to back that up. First off, their numbers are not so accurate (which is common with highly progressive rate springs). Secondly ride height is related to ride quality. The less you have, the less working wheel travel you have. the less of that you have, the sooner you are on the bumpstops, etc.

Now, I'm not going to say anything more than springs are more than about looks. And shocks are the key to the ride anyway more so than most similar springs (some springs will really effect it).

I'm not saying mine are the answer, or that DMS's aren't. I am saying that your field of research seems kind of narrow.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by my01ws6
I decided on DMS springs cause of the drop....I have seen Strano springs and they dont drop the car as far as I want my drop to be....Yeah I have decided against sportlines, cause it seems you cant have a decent ride with them and thats what Im after...

I want to go as low as possible without having a horrible ride...It seems like the DMS springs will put me right on where I want to be..
Like Sam mentioned, if he has measurement proof of what the average ride height is from the DMS springs, then I'd go with what he says. Real life examples > marketing specifications. If you've moved away from the Sportlines, just get the Strano springs with revalves or koni's and call it a day. No more worries.

No offense but that stuff in the other thread about putting Koni's in the rear with cut springs and QA1's up front is just a bad idea. It seems like such a mismatched/hacked together setup. Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have DMS springs, and Koni SA's that I bought from Sam nearly two years ago. I basically went with the DMS at the time because of word of mouth and the GP they had for LS1Tech members. Honestly, I've been considering changing the springs. Within the first 4-5 months of the install, one of my rear Koni's busted. It was the right rear and the only time I noticed something was not right was when I had someone in the pass. seat, which is rare. So, I drove around for months on a busted shock. I have no idea if the rate of the springs had anything to do with it or not. I just recently had my replacement Koni rears installed (they were replaced under warranty, thank you KONI America). So far so good. However, the main reason I'm considering the change is that the front is a little too low for my taste. It's also low enough to cause a little rubbing on the fender wells when the wheels are cranked all the way left or right.

Here are the before and after install pics:

R. Side before

R. Side after

L. Side before

L. Side after

I think the springs have probably settled a little since these pics were taken (right after the install). Ride quality I don't think is a lot different than stock but, then again, I drove around for nearly a year on a busted rear shock and I'm just now really assessing the ride quality. Here is the most recent pic I have of my SS (3-4 weeks ago) so you can compare the ride height.

…and here's one from last summer.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thinkin of making the switch to Stranos springs also. I have the DMS springs and all i keep hearing is how the spring rates on the dms suck. So im going to save up and make the switch soon.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah its not that I dont like Sam's springs...its just I want the lowest ride possible while still maintaining a stock like ride OR BETTER!!

I have seen pics of Strano springs and they just dont seem low enough for my taste....please take no offense to that Sam....I just have a certain ride height that I like my car to look...
Old 04-12-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah its not that I dont like Sam's springs...its just I want the lowest ride possible while still maintaining a stock like ride OR BETTER!!
Still looking for that magical answer huh

The strano/koni setup is pretty comfortable assuming you won't hit too many crazy bumps along the way. If you live in an area like New England, you probably have a lot of potholes and patched up areas on the street which are a bit more uncomfortable on lower springs than stock ones. But it's not a huge deal, you get used to it. This is assuming both have the right shocks.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you want the car that low, its going to ride rough.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Look, I'm not trying to make you buy my springs. I sell lots of others too, but even that's not the issue here. How do you square a lower ride height, and up to more than double the stock spring rates with a stock ride? Less travel, higher rates are not exactly ideas for a nice ride.

Now, lots of folks here report riding fine, or even better than stock even wtih lowering springs. But you'll notice those people have very good shocks installed as well. And what I think you might not be grasping is that they are talking about impact harshness getting better, and the fixing of the floating/disconnected feeling the car has. The car becomes quite firm with lowering springs, and better controlled by the dampers. Poor dampers and springs ride "flinty".

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sam could you pm me a qoute for springs, front/rear sway bars.

I think im going to finally take your advice and get rid of my dms springs.

Quick Reply: Those with DMS springs...COME IN!!!