Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

caliper paint....opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caliper paint....opinions needed

anyone used the VHT caliper paint? if so how is it holding up? What are some other suggestions on brands? thanks!!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I've done it on my last 3 cars has worked out GREAT for me. I've done both red and black and both have turned out great.

Duplicolor primer...I believe it is for their engine enamel paints, but I could be wrong. If that doesn't exist, its just their black sandable primer then.

Spray 3-4 light-medium coats on the calipers and let that dry.

Duplicolor engine enamel. Just the 500*F stuff. Spray another 3-4 coats on the caliper in light-medium coats as well.

Let that dry, reinstall, start driving. The brake heat bakes the paint in rather quickly and makes it quite strong. Very easy to wash too. Last time I did it, I didn't even spray the engine enamel, I just left the primer and it worked out great. I'm not looking to show them off much though, so I was perfectly fine with the flat black look. It looked GREAT. I'll be doing the same thing to my C5 brakes as soon as I get them.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:50 AM
On the tree

I just used the Duplicolor brush on enamel kit about a month ago. I was kind of tenative at first because of how the paint was looking right after the final application. Now that it has dried it looks awesome, paint laid down flat and is very smooth.

Kit was more than enough for 1 car, heck I think I have enough paint for two more cars if need be.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

+1 more for the duplicolor kit. One word of advise is to buy your own brushes. I found some cheap foam ones at a home improvement store. I also bought a wire wheel to put in my drill from harbor freight for $2. worked great in cleaning the calipers. Plenty of paint left.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

thanks for all the tips. I had noticed the duplicolor stuff as well but now that you guys recommend it i might have to run with it!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
The way I've done it on my last 3 cars has worked out GREAT for me. I've done both red and black and both have turned out great.

Duplicolor primer...I believe it is for their engine enamel paints, but I could be wrong. If that doesn't exist, its just their black sandable primer then.

Spray 3-4 light-medium coats on the calipers and let that dry.

Duplicolor engine enamel. Just the 500*F stuff. Spray another 3-4 coats on the caliper in light-medium coats as well.

Let that dry, reinstall, start driving. The brake heat bakes the paint in rather quickly and makes it quite strong. Very easy to wash too. Last time I did it, I didn't even spray the engine enamel, I just left the primer and it worked out great. I'm not looking to show them off much though, so I was perfectly fine with the flat black look. It looked GREAT. I'll be doing the same thing to my C5 brakes as soon as I get them.
I did almost the exact same thing. I polished the calipers first though (not to a perfect shine of course, but enough to smooth out the casting texture). Then used DupliColor high heat paint (primer/red/clear). Holds up just like powdercoat, and looks just as good too.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

there is proof in pictures!! guess this is the way i'm gonna have to do it then...thanks for posting the pic blackbird!

Quick Reply: caliper paint....opinions needed