Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA Recommended Settings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ask.
Me, Sam or someone will help out if we see the thread.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason...the pics help. I will assume from them you turn the allen wrench clockwise for firmer, since it wasn't stated?
Old 04-18-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Jason...the pics help. I will assume from them you turn the allen wrench clockwise for firmer, since it wasn't stated?
The plus sign means firmer and the minus sign means softer.

If your looking down on the shock from above then clockwise is softer and counterclockwise is firmer.

On the drivers side, sweeping the wrench from front to rear of the car is firmer.

On the passenger side, sweeping the wrench from front to rear of the car is softer.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
PM sent
Call made.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Call made.
Thanks for your assistance, Sam. It was nice to speak with you. The struts will be installed this weekend if I can somehow avoid helping my brother move a fish tank way up in Maine lol.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Remember, they are called shocks.
Struts are something else.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:06 AM
TECH Resident

the konis are shipped out set at FULL soft correct?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JasonWW
The front adjustment uses sweeps which is 1/4 of a turn.

2 turns on the rears is going to be very stiff. Start at full soft. Try 1/2 turns to get a feel for it and then 1/4 turns to get it just right.
In this picture, above the red spring is a silver colored metal washer.... what is immediately above that? Is it a rubber bushing and then the shock mount, or just the shock mount??

In this picture (attached) taken from a Koni install guide, I can only see the GM shock mount and the washer..... is something missing from the guide's photo?

Thanks,
UKCamaroSS
Attached Thumbnails Koni SA Recommended Settings?-koni-sa-front-assembled.jpg  
Old 04-24-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Let me try and explain. The red spring is a universal racing spring and is cut flat on both ends. On the top is the silver spring cup which is milled from aluminum and keeps the spring centered over the shock. Here is a better pic. This GC spring cup replaces the big flat metal stock piece.

The stock shock has a big flat washer like piece built into the bumpstop holder. It's the gold colored piece.

When you use the Koni's with a regular spring it will come with big heavy duty washers. That washer slides onto the top of the shock and contacts the 4 rubber nubs you see. The pic in your atttachment doesn't look like it has the washer.

So the stock flat piece contacting the upper shock mount is the gold colored bell and the Koni and almost all aftermarket shocks come with big washers. The GC spring kit is unique in that it replaces the big washers with the aluminum spring cup.

It's good to have something there. Technically the dogbone (trapezoid piece that fits into the top of the shock mount) is bolted firmly to the shock rod and it prevents the shock rod from moving up and down while still allowing the shock rod to tilt slightly as the suspension goes up and down.

I've seen people not use the washers before and it's probably OK, but it may prevent pops or noises or might reduce the stress load or something. I'm not real sure what it's purpose is. If your tearing down your shocks and the washers are not there, then go pick some up at the hardware store.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-24-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Hi JasonWW,

Thanks for the explaination..... very helpfull.

Regards,
UKCamaroSS
Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I think I told you on another thread that the washer kept the shock rod from moving up, but I found out that the dogbone piece actually gets pressed both up and down. As everyone can see the dogbone that fits into the top of the shock mount obviously prevents the shock rod from being pulled down, but the upper a-arm mount is bent in such a way as to press down on the top of the dogbone. I just learned this from another member. You can see the marks here.

I think I also figured out how the upper spring perch is made. It starts out as a thick flat piece of steel and is stamped into a kind of stepped funnel shape and is then coated in rubber. Check this pic.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

This is some great info I will be doing my install soon. Why would you want to cut that red section off?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
Why would you want to cut that red section off?
Just ignore that red part.

You can cut the spring mount flat if you are running the flat cut springs like in the Ground Control kit. You can cut it flat and let the spring ride higher which makes it easier to get to the adjustor. The main thing is that it is just a build up of rubber. It also helped me determine the actual steel shape under the rubber. I was thinking about burning the rubber off just to see what it looked like, but I didn't want to waste a perfectly good mount.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Very helpful Jason!! When I bought my Konis I didn't get the washers for some reason. As a result I destroyed 2 sets up Strut mounts. After the 2nd set blew out around the bushing, I took a good look at it and mentally kicked myself in the *** for being such a dunce. After slapping some washers on there, it fixed the issue. I wish I had of seen your pictures before I put the second set on there. Hopefully this set of strutmounts last for the life of the car. At ~350bucks for a pair from GM, they better. It was an expensive lesson, thanks for sharing so others won't waste as much money as I have. lol
Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, how the upper shock mounts and dogbone work seem to be a big mystery to everyone. It's quite elaborate, but I think I finally figured it out. Maybe I should do a write up with all the pieces and such.

So running without the washers actually made them break? In this pic the blue area is a thick steel rod and the green is pure rubber. Did the inner rod seperate from the main outer piece by breaking the rubber?

The shock rod slides into this and the dogbone then drops in and they are screwed together until the nut bottoms out. About 10 threads should be showing. The below pics are courtesy of Constrictor.

Here's the dogbone:

If you look close at this pic of a coilover mount you can see the depression stamped into the upper a-arm mounting plate that drops down and is angled.

This dropped down area is what contacts the dogbone from the top and when you bolt the shock into the car the dogbone is captured from the top and bottom. This keeps the shock rod from moving up and down while still allowing the shock rod to tilt a little as the suspension moves up and down. If it didn't tilt it would bind up and possibly bend.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-25-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, nice wirte-up, should be a sticky...

When I installed my Koni's I had no idea as to what I was doing except for the installuniversity write-up...

The above might have been exremely helpful.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Thanks for your assistance, Sam. It was nice to speak with you. The struts will be installed this weekend if I can somehow avoid helping my brother move a fish tank way up in Maine lol.
OK, so I'm lazy and still haven't gotten these in. I have, however, moved the fish tank in Maine. Maybe after I cut the grass, wire the pool's pump, etc...I can get these installed today.

Thanks for the pics and the write up, JasonWW.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Default Fr. custom shocks for 4th Camaro ??

Is this pix>>Custom Shocks? For Camaro front shocks?
I like this one . I want to get more information of this pix..
Good news for Road Racing?
Is this Koni shocks? what Shock part nu.?

Thanks for feedback..
Old 07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Nice set-up,soon as I get around to calling Sam I'll be putting on my Koni's.

On the Koni lower spring perches do you guys us a isolater in the front?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Notice black arrow pointing at silver adjustment wheel. This area needs to be stuffed with grease to keep moisture out. I have seen this adjustment wheel oxidize very badly.
Attached Thumbnails Koni SA Recommended Settings?-front_adjuster_window.jpg  

Quick Reply: Koni SA Recommended Settings?