Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA Recommended Settings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Koni SA Recommended Settings?

I'm finally getting around to installing my front struts, but I'm wondering what is a good starting point for the settings.

The car has an otherwise stock suspension.

I did a search but couldn't find what Mr Strano is recommending. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2007, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the same boat as you. Going to be installing my koni's and strano springs this month. If the weather ever feels like cooperating. Wish I could help. Hopefully someone will chime in and help us both out.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

With stock springs and 4th gen fronts and 3rd gen rears, I was recommended 4 turns from full hard in the front, and full soft in the rear. You may prefer a different setting in the long run, but that setup is pretty popular
Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As you change the settings on the sa's how does the dynamic characteristic of the car change? I may mess around with my setting but was wondering if it would be worth my time or not.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
With stock springs and 4th gen fronts and 3rd gen rears, I was recommended 4 turns from full hard in the front, and full soft in the rear. You may prefer a different setting in the long run, but that setup is pretty popular
I'll give that a try. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

How about with the Strano Springs. Anyone have a baseline?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
As you change the settings on the sa's how does the dynamic characteristic of the car change? I may mess around with my setting but was wondering if it would be worth my time or not.
As far as I know, the rebound is only adjustable on these shocks. No need to adjust the bump setting though since on DA shocks I've noticed the same recommendation for bump setting on almost all spring types.

I'm not an expert on this but I'll give it a try. The way I want my springs to act is to compress and then return once, without oscillating several times. I don't know who would want their spring to bounce more than once. For example if you put on lowering springs with stock shocks, the rebound setting isn't strong enough to slow down the spring from bouncing back. With the Konis you can adjust the rebound until your spring does exactly what you want it to do. I kind of just pulled this out of my own experiences of doing autox/road race type of things for the past 3 years.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I'm finally getting around to installing my front struts, but I'm wondering what is a good starting point for the settings.

The car has an otherwise stock suspension.

I did a search but couldn't find what Mr Strano is recommending. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Your name?
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-16-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The adjustment is for the low speed rebound. It controls how slowly the shock extends. If you push it down by hand at full soft it will extend fairly quickly. At full hard it will extend verrrrry slowly.

The effect this has on the car is related to the body control. I actually like as much firmness up front as I can stand. Eventually the ride will suffer. Like going on the freeway and the car goes through a low spot. The car drops like a rollercoaster and your stomach goes up into your chest. It made me a tad sick, so I backed it off a tad. Try starting in the middle and see how it feels. The firmer the front is the quicker the car will respond to steering input. Meaning it will jump left and right when you want it too. If you go too firm it will lift the inside front wheel in a turn and you will loose grip.

In the back I felt full soft allowed the rear to slide a bit too easily. I typically run it one full turn from full soft. As you go too far the ride will get real bumpy so you'll need to find the sweet spot.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonWW
The adjustment is for the low speed rebound. It controls how slowly the shock extends. If you push it down by hand at full soft it will extend fairly quickly. At full hard it will extend verrrrry slowly.

The effect this has on the car is related to the body control. I actually like as much firmness up front as I can stand. Eventually the ride will suffer. Like going on the freeway and the car goes through a low spot. The car drops like a rollercoaster and your stomach goes up into your chest. It made me a tad sick, so I backed it off a tad. Try starting in the middle and see how it feels. The firmer the front is the quicker the car will respond to steering input. Meaning it will jump left and right when you want it too. If you go too firm it will lift the inside front wheel in a turn and you will loose grip.

In the back I felt full soft allowed the rear to slide a bit too easily. I typically run it one full turn from full soft. As you go too far the ride will get real bumpy so you'll need to find the sweet spot.
Thats good info. I will try turning the rears in one or two turns to feel the difference.

Anyone else have experience with different settings?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

The front adjustment uses sweeps which is 1/4 of a turn.

2 turns on the rears is going to be very stiff. Start at full soft. Try 1/2 turns to get a feel for it and then 1/4 turns to get it just right.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of springs are you runnning Jason?
I have a set a Koni SA's (4/3 combo)on full soft, on stock springs w/124Kmi. The rides is real harsh, SoCal roads suck. As I go down the road, the back kinda bounces up and down and I don't know if I need some DA to help with the extra weight of 17x9 wheels and 275 tires.

I think I might try turning the rears up one and see what happens...
Old 04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
I have a set a Koni SA's (4/3 combo)on full soft, on stock springs w/124Kmi. The rides is real harsh, SoCal roads suck. As I go down the road, the back kinda bounces up and down and I don't know if I need some DA to help with the extra weight of 17x9 wheels and 275 tires.

Eibach universal race springs on GC coilovers. 550lb fronts, 160lb rears.

17x9 shouldn't weigh that much. I have 19x10's and the ride is quite smooth. Your rear should not be bouncing unless it is hitting the bump stops. The short rubber ones really like to bounce. Check that first. Firm or overinflated tires can cause a harshness as well.

Also try firming up the shock. You won't know till you try.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-16-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r

Your tires are probably over-inflated. I have my settings on 2 turns from full hard front, 1 turn from full soft rear, and its hardly any more harsh than stock, and certainly less jarring.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I doubt Sam will tell you want settings to go with if you didnt buy them from him....thats the perks of buying from Strano
Old 04-16-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sam couldn't tell him if he wanted to. Every car and every driver is different. Your going to have to experiment to see what works best for you.
The following users liked this post:
Coy (09-13-2022)
Old 04-17-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Your name?
PM sent
Old 04-17-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

My tires at about 30PSI. And I do have the stock Z28 rubber bump stops. I bought my Koni's from Sam, so after I adjust them and if I still don't have the ride I want, I will give Sam the Master a call...

EDIT: Could worn out springs allow my car to move up and down more because they aren't 'pushing up' as much since they are worn?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Sam couldn't tell him if he wanted to. Every car and every driver is different. Your going to have to experiment to see what works best for you.
To a degree that's true. But I can explain what is changing and what the results generally are, so it's not 100% accurate to say I couldn't tell him something that would help.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-17-2007, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately I am probably on my own in terms of setting up my koni/strano package. I have bought stuff from sam in the past. Just not my springs/koni's. I found my strano springs from a member on here and saved some money on new Strano springs that he had. My konis I wasnt able to buy from sam for the simple reason that I was able to get 1 year same as cash on my purchase from a different vedor. If Sam had a credit program, well I would probably be that much farther in debt. I just didnt have the up front money to buy them at the time from Sam. I appreciate his help and understand his notion of not only being a parts rep but also an excellent service rep.

I appreciate everyones imput on a good starting point to set up my suspension. I will in the future be picking up sam's sway bars. Maybe when I am able to purchase those I can inquire from sam some expertise for my suspension setup.

Quick Reply: Koni SA Recommended Settings?