Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rod/Rod suspension components

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rod/Rod suspension components

Out of curiosity who has them (LCA's PHB etc) just wanting to know how you like them and if they made the ride a bit rougher or is it noticible.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll probably find a good bit of information doing a search with this one. It's discussed quite a bit. Giving you a quick synopsis, there is nothing better regarding handling characteristics. They WILL outperform all other setups, there are noticible differences in suspension reaction.

Since the components transfer noise easily since there is little damping, you may notice road noise more. It is up to you to decide on whether you want the best handling characteristic or do you want comprimise.

How you decide on what is best for you may be best found by just trying them. One persons acceptable level may be be completely different to another persons. Some folks that have a loud exhausts may be quiet to others...

You can view our sale of suspension components listed at www.sjmmanufacturing.com/deals.html

Our package of LCA/PHR double adjustable is on special for 329.99, seperatly, the LCA's are 199.99 and the PHR is 139.99. All kits INCLUDE the upgraded bolt package.

All kits are in stock and ship typically the same day or at max within 24 hours.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will kill yourself from the noise. =(

Something along the lines of, clink, clink clink, clink, over every damn bump.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

The noise bothered me enough to ditch mine in favor of poly pieces, but the rod-ended pieces definitely handled better. Such is life...
Old 04-20-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

I have had mine on for 3+ years and they are as quite as stock pieces. I am using QA1 aluminium rod ends in my LCA's and using the LG aluminium PHB. No noise and they are daily driven in Texas where there is no snow or salted roads.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Monello
You will kill yourself from the noise. =(

Something along the lines of, clink, clink clink, clink, over every damn bump.
If you are hearing noise like this, your components are either poorly designed or they are worn out. You need to be careful...some companies are using sleeves which are have english units i.e. 1/2" but they are recommending to re-use the stock metric 12mm bolts. Some companies are also using lower quality rod-ends which wear very quickly.

If the internal diameter of the sleeves have quite a bit of play due to incompatable metric to english units...At this point, no matter how new your components are, you've got quite a bit of additional end-play between the rod-end and the sleeves that are being used...this contributes to excessive noise. The only time you'd hear clink or clank noises is when these components have play in them...other then that, the only noise you may hear is just increased road/rear-end noise transferred throught the suspension component.

If our rod-ends wear out, our customers can receive replacement rod ends for ~20.00 each. I'd be more concerned of the price of gas and what you spend filling the car up vs such a small dollar replacement component.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have rod/rod phb and lcas. I love them, the road noise did increase but its worth it to me.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Their from UMI with 10k miles on them. Rod/Poly. They have been noisey since the day i put them on. =(

I def like the way it handles, but whenever someone who isnt used to my car comes with me, they think its falling apart.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a set of UMI Poly/Rod PHR and LCA's and I honestly wish I had just gone with the Rod/Rod ... the *Skrok skrok skrok* sounds of the poly kind of bugs me sometimes
Old 04-21-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome thanks for all the replies
Old 04-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Launching!

i ll lower my car so need an adjustable PHB. which one is the most quite between all?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

The impression that ive been getting from many is that rod/rod ended LCA's aren't the answer for a road race/autox setup
Old 04-21-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
The impression that ive been getting from many is that rod/rod ended LCA's aren't the answer for a road race/autox setup
Care to explain why?

I built my rod/rod LCA's for that specific purpose.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't give the best explaination, but when I read some of the autox guys' explainations it makes a lot of sense to me. Having dual rod ended tubular arms limits a lot of suspension travel around corners, which would cause more oversteer. And my car could use as much suspension travel it can get.

I'm planning to swap the stock LCA bushings with 1LE rubber ones. Another option that I've heard people like in the autox/road race stuff is the poly/rod ended LCA's.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

I originally had 1LE control arms on the car and replaced them with rod/rod to get more articulation in my rear suspension. The rod ends with the spacers allowed for a much greater range of movement. The 1LE's were good, but I felt the were binding ever so slightly (it waz also pretty much an all stock suspension at the time). I would not use poly ever except on a drag car. With the rod ends, it seems like my limiting factor is the clearance between my rear tire and the outer trunk wall (which has been beat in for even more clearance). If I have time tomorrow, I will try to measure the degree of movement the rod ends allow before they bind up, but I'm swapping out a broken K-member, so I will be short on time.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Rod/rod LCA's will transmit some additional road noise, not much at all and well worth it in my opinion. It may just be luck but I don't have the clunking problem most people complain about.

I may be crazy, but I cannot see how a rubber bushing would cause less bind than a rod end. Rod end bodies will pivot/rotate freely around the ball with almost no resistance. A rubber bushing will cause resistance as soon as it has to move from its natural position.

I noticed an improvement in handling when I switched to rod/rod LCA's and PHB. Now I can get on the throttle more aggressively after the apex. Turn in seems to be improved also but not to the same extent. If I am wrong about the advantage of rod ends over rubber bushings some one please correct me.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rod end LCA's will change the handling ever so slightly over stock components, by it is certainly not because they are binding.

I could not be happier with my LG aluminum LCA's.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I can't give the best explaination, but when I read some of the autox guys' explainations it makes a lot of sense to me. Having dual rod ended tubular arms limits a lot of suspension travel around corners, which would cause more oversteer. And my car could use as much suspension travel it can get.

I'm planning to swap the stock LCA bushings with 1LE rubber ones. Another option that I've heard people like in the autox/road race stuff is the poly/rod ended LCA's.
I think your talking about poly/poly. Rod ends is what allows the most travel possible for our rear ends.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by felton316
(it waz also pretty much an all stock suspension at the time)
Ok so did you just do a LCA swap and then compare, or swap out a lot of other suspension components. Could you or anyone else tell me how a dual rod end LCA setup would bind the suspension less than a 1LE LCA setup? How does a solid ended, solid bar provide more axle travel than a rubber bushing/more flexible U-stamped LCA?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:23 PM
FormerVendor

I'm not going to explain this in detail but I will gloss over it a bit for you guys...you need to do a search as these topics are discussed to death.

Rod ended components are in no way a comparison to either poly or rubber.

You guys need to understand that no matter how stiff or little deflection an aftermarket tube built will perform under stress...a great deal of deflection is left due to the actual rubber or poly bushing compressing as your suspension is moving.

Whether you are using the stock extruded material or a tube...the problem is that the bushings deflect probably more then the actual OEM extruded piece of material. This is why the rear-end feels as if it wallows around a bit more. You can use poly which helps this, but then now you have a greater amount of bind as the suspension component moves within the bracket...

When you have suspension components moving unpredicably and in directions that you do not want...you are not adding to performance.

Quick Reply: Rod/Rod suspension components