Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Baer Decelarotors cracked!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its alwasy been said. stay away from drilled rotors. reg. or slotted are the way to go.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:43 AM
On the tree

I have read the stickey and have used blanks from autozone and warped them as well. That was when I went thru the entire front system to make sure I did not have a siezed slider pin or bad pistons in one of the calipers.

I know some on here are die hard blanks fans but I also think you cna use drilled on the street and have no issues. My first set of front drilled I got a deal on because the shop sold them to a customer and the guy did not like them, but I think the guy just went right out on them and did some hard stops because I had 1 crakc right after I put them on the car. I ran those powerstops for at least a year before I turned them even with the crack and they ran fine with no more issues.

the rears were brand enw powerstops and have almost 55,000 miles or so on them and the pads still have alot of material left and the rears have no cracks on them.

I put the Baer Decelerators on the front about three months ago so they only have about 5000 miles on them but I also did no go right out and do hard stops, gave the pads some time to bed in before I did any hard stops and so far they are fine.

But like I said I had to many issues with blanks so I went to drilled and have never had a issue with them. They have been to the drags several times and have worked well.

I think alot of it before was quality control issues from the blanks manufactures that may of have been fixed now. I have had drilled rotors on my car since about late 2002, maybe the material and workmanship has gotten better to where blanks are a good option now, but I wasnt going to try them again to find out. I dont have the extra time to be pulling front rotors off every 3-6 months to get them turned or replace them.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
My first set of front drilled I got a deal on because the shop sold them to a customer and the guy did not like them, but I think the guy just went right out on them and did some hard stops because I had 1 crakc right after I put them on the car. I ran those powerstops for at least a year before I turned them even with the crack and they ran fine with no more issues.
Sneaky. Better you than me. I dont think I would put a rotor on my car and run it with a crack in it. Sometimes a good deal is trumped by safety. Dont get me wrong I think the drilled to look good. But because it is a cosmetic thing I choose the route of safety and stayed with brakes. Not worth the chance. IMO
Old 05-04-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have slotted and cross drilled brake rotors and i am having no problems with cracking. But the rotors that i bought have a countersink put into the holes which inturn reduces the stresses in the hole created by drilling it, so if i when i buy new rotors, if they do have holes in them im going to put countersinks in them just to be safe
Old 05-04-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believed baer said the holes were chamfered, which was supposed to reduce the chances of cracking.

I won't say that they haven't seen some action, but it def. isn't daily abuse.

Anyone have these experiences with the Brembo Blanks:
Quote:

I run LS1 front brakes on my CMC car. I installed new Brembo OE blanks last night nad relagated the ones that were on there to be spares even though I have about 50/1000ths left in there. The new rotors are relatively new and the old ones were bought about a year ago.

For the heck of it and because I have become obsessed with weight, I decided to weigh the new ones and the ones that I took off to see how much weight I was gaining with the rotor change.

To my surprise, the used, somewhat worn rotors weighed more than the new ones. Both sets were Brembo OE blanks and are visually identical. This wasn't a couple of ounces...

New Rotors: 19lbs
Old worn rotors: 20.5 lbs

a decrease in weight with supposedly more material seems backwards to me.

The only possible explanation would be different density due to different alloying. But +5%?!

Quote:

I purchased four new Brembo OE blanks. The place I purchased them from is mostly an autoparts/garage parts supplier so when I picked them up, I asked them if they noticed any differents or had any comments about the Brembo over the last 12 to 18 months. The one guy said that they had no specific comments but in that timeframe, they noticed that the Brembo boxes no longer had the big MADE IN ITALY sticker on them and they are stamped MADE IN MEXICO in a small font instead. Interesting.

So, I weighed them. Remember, my old worn ones were 20.5 lbs and the replacement ones were 19lbs. The 19lb-er was the one that cracked. Three of the new ones weigh 18.5 lbs and one weighs 18.75. All of these weights were taken on the same postal scale.

Quote:

figured something was up with these rotors. Though it is hard to see, these rotors cracked through in three places at Mid Ohio last weekend.

I am losing the faith in Brembo as a result of the weight issue and now this.

Wondering if people have been having issues with their Brembo blanks? I ran across this above stuff from another site I like to frequent.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry I don't have pics up of the Baer rotors yet, I'm really bad when it comes to getting pictures of things.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Ugh, great...I JUST bought and installed 4 Brembos...they are probably made in Mexico
Old 05-07-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Ugh, great...I JUST bought and installed 4 Brembos...they are probably made in Mexico
The 4 new brembos I just put on my car are made in Mexico. So far they seem identical to my previous set.
Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
I had a 89 Formula, I have a 01 Formula now.

I warped 2 factory sets of rotors, the ones the car came with and the ones the GM replaced them with at 2000 miles. Turned them at 7000 miles only to have them warped by 12,000. Replaced them at 17,000 with Powerstops on all four corners and never looked back.

I dont want to get into a pissing match on this subject because both sides seem to be very adamant about how they like blank or drilled.

I personally have had no issues with my drilled rotors. They have held up at the drags with no issues and handled several 140+ stops with no issues. The only reason I have the Bears now is because they dropped under min specs and had one crack on one of the front rotors.

If solid rotors were the best option then motorcycles would be using them, yet every sport bike I have owned uses drilled rotors. T ouse the comparison to race cars doesnt relaly work as they use alot better materials and or realistically unobtainable materials that most people cant afford to use on the street like the carbon rotors.

To each their own and I will say this is one of those areas that we will have to agree to disagree.
The GM rotors are known to have metallurgy problems and are prone to warping because of this. When turning GM rotors it isn't a question on if they will warp again but how fast.

I personally don't consider drag racing very hard on brakes.....you make one hard stop (maybe hard.....maybe gradual depending on the track)from maybe 115 mph and are done. I've cracked a set of GM rotors and a set of Brembo blanks....I cracked the GM rotors with stock pads and the Brembos with Hawk HPSs. A drilled rotor wouldn't even last a month with how I brake

Motorcycles are stopping 2000lbs LESS than our cars...hardly a fair comparison. Most of those "race cars" are indeed using solid rotors and most still use metal rotors.

I will agree with you that the drilled look cool..but they aren't as durable. It's just a proven fact. Once again I'm not saying the stock rotors as they are known to be of inferior quality material. If you want to run drilled rotors I'm not stopping you...if your braking needs aren't as severe they might hold up OK.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Cheapest place to buy Brembo blanks??? I see tire rack has them for $55 a pop which I guess isn't bad.

Should I replace the front pads while I do the rotors?? Need some opinions on both as I would like to purchase and install the parts this week, trying to go to OSW on the 29th, don't want to go on my cracked Baer junk.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

All of you that keep mentioning rotor warping get a big

Take a few minutes and read this
Old 06-17-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The brembo blanks and Autozone Duralast (I have the latter and auto-cross and beat the hell out of them) work GREAT. One drawback is the hubs look kinda nasty after a month, so a nice coat of paint on the hubs is well worth it.

Check out Tirerack, or go to Autozone, or call up Sam Strano.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

So the Baer rotors actually have a 3 year warranty. I'm trying to sort autozone out cause when they pull up my warranty info the part that comes up when they type in the number is 4 valucraft rotors or some garbage, and well I have never even bought any other rotors, so something is messed up in their system. I'm supposed to call the manager tommarow to see if anything different comes up in the CA computers, which he has to call, which sounds ridiculous that the manager is the only person who can call the CA store where I bought them at about this dispute.

I still think I'm going to order the brembos though maybe, I'm sure another set of the Baers will just crack? Was I lucky to get 10k out of them or something?
Old 06-17-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

something wrong with stranoparts.com?? I click on brand names, but then nothing comes up on the next page??
Old 06-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Not everything he carries is on his website. Call him.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, well nothing at all would come up though. Only the main page and then the list of brands he sells, then you click on the name and it always goes to a blank page.

Ah well, I still suck about brakes, should I do the pads at the same time? I also need a pad recommendation, I would like to order parts tommarow, so any help is appreciated.
Going to get the blanks, but need a pad recommendation, or if I should change them at the same time.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Looks like the links aren't working for me either.
You should tell him when you call.

If you are getting new rotors, I'd suggest new pads as well.

As for pad recommendations, Hawk HPS are the most recommended for all around use (I also have them), but there are many choices on pads (and many varying opinions). It all depends on what you want to do.

When was the last time the fluid was changed? Might want to upgrade to a good DOT4 fluid while you are at it (ex: ATE Super Blue).
Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks.

So the HPS pads also do well for daily driver duties?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by camar0corey
So the HPS pads also do well for daily driver duties?
Yes.
My 2001 Formula has been my daily driver (including snow in winter) since I bought it new in 2001 and I've had Hawk HPS pads on it for around 3 years now.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Alright I ordered the HPS pads and the brembo blanks.

Still going to try to get autozone to get me a new set of decelarotors, they are under warranty. Perhaps someone out there will want them and I will recoup my costs for fixing my brakes situation.

Quick Reply: Baer Decelarotors cracked!