Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What exactly does a torque arm do? Fitment in 4L60E?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What exactly does a torque arm do? Fitment in 4L60E?

Which torque arm do I need if I've got a 4L60E? I've heard of some clearance issues. What exactly does it do and how will I benefit from it?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stronger torque arms are for launching. The stock torque arm is stamped steel and weak. If you ran with no torque arm and launched, alot of the horsepower would "dissolve" into the chassis. I'm trying to think of an example but can't. Just think what is happening to the frame of the car upon hard launching. The rear wheels flex inward towards the front wheels. It's almost like a subframe connector.

I plan on getting a Torque Arm that isn't transmission mounted. Transmission-mounted TA's attach to the rear end and the transmission. Hard launches can damage the transmission's tail shaft and thus, the reason I will be purchasing a tunnel brace mounted torque arm. It attaches itself to the rear axle to the center of the vehicle's frame.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

torque arms are not only useful for hard launches, but just driving in general. when i replaced my stocker with the UMI adjustable, i can notice a big difference even in daily, granny-shifting driving....very worthwhile upgrade IMO, and if i had known how much it helped, i would have got the arm before i got my sway bars. the only other thing (suspension-wise) that is generally recommended to do before the torque arm is new shocks....which will probably be my next upgrade (Koni's).

but yes, a stronger torque arm is definitely recommended if you like to do a lot of hard launches.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

If you are going to get one make sure you either get one that does not mount to the transmission or get a re-location bracket. My buddy had a BMR torque arm on his 02 Z that was transmission mounted and it actually cracked the transmission case in the rear when it attaches from all all the force of hard launches. He then bought the re-location bracket and hasn't had a problem since.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by waldershrek
If you are going to get one make sure you either get one that does not mount to the transmission or get a re-location bracket. My buddy had a BMR torque arm on his 02 Z that was transmission mounted and it actually cracked the transmission case in the rear when it attaches from all all the force of hard launches. He then bought the re-location bracket and hasn't had a problem since.
you can probably get away with a tranny-mounted one for a while at stock power levels, but once you start modding and making more power, i'd get it off there asap
Old 05-21-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Oddly enough his car has no motor work at all. He has a 3400 stall converter, shift kit, torque arm, LCA's, POSI 4.10, panhard bar, SLP cold air induction kit and a pcm tune. It's crazy what kind of et's you can get with these cars with a stock motor and just some suspension and tranny work. He's into the mid to low 12's already!

Quick Reply: What exactly does a torque arm do? Fitment in 4L60E?