Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano, I need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007 | 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Okay, well stilll I would think they have the same aspect ratio and they shouldnt be ahuge difference as nittos.
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one bud
Old 05-21-2007 | 06:51 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I would try the tires before I tried everything else...talking to a guy that drove a Vette on ET Streets down the quarter mile, he complained that as he went through the traps, the car felt squirrely every time. He never had issues on his regular tires.
Old 05-21-2007 | 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

+1 for tires.. i mean nittos arent the best DR by far but the tire compound is really soft and will grip and pull anything..

QUESTION..

try driving at like 3500 and punch it and let off, punch it and let off.. not all the way tot the floor but make it jerk a little.. when you get off the gas does the rear end wiggle around??

edit.. im talking like, does it sway back and forth or pull to one side?
Old 05-22-2007 | 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
New tires. More air might help a little (having no idea what you are running now for pressure.

I am running 40 psi ( A lot!) at 18 psi they felt just as sloppy as with 40 psi
Old 05-22-2007 | 01:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by carado1984
+1 for tires.. i mean nittos arent the best DR by far but the tire compound is really soft and will grip and pull anything..

QUESTION..

try driving at like 3500 and punch it and let off, punch it and let off.. not all the way tot the floor but make it jerk a little.. when you get off the gas does the rear end wiggle around??

edit.. im talking like, does it sway back and forth or pull to one side?
I will try an dlet you know. ALL I know is at 5500 RPM and the tires W 15 psi the car hooked and I could have hooked better even at a 6200 RPM launch!

Its great for drag, but you have to heat em up first. It just feels sloppy on the freeway at high speeds.
Old 05-22-2007 | 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

after reading through this entire thread, you've made me want to blow my brains out.

you ask for help, then when the answer is right in your face numerous times, you continue again and again to ask for more advice...

what is so hard to believe that you need to run different tires?

First, you're running 3.73's vs. 3.42's and though there is only a small difference, the power isn't being put down the same as before... if you're running on a cold drag radial at higher speeds that were not meant to be obtained at a constant basis on those tires, of course its going to be a bit more difficult to drive. They're not the best lateral handling tires you know, a lane change even on drag "radials" can still cause an accident if the driver is not cautious or informed of what the tires he is using on the street are capable of.

second, as was mentioned, more unsprung weight, that can't help any of course...

and third, you answered the question yourself a few times not to mention how many other people also came to the same conclusion...

why do you put Sam through a slew of questions only to ignore it? I feel that's pretty rude.
Old 05-22-2007 | 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Since you don't like the tire replacement idea at all, then tell us what answer you want to hear and I'll have someone post it up for you to follow.
Old 05-22-2007 | 09:24 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

try different tires, and don't waste everyones time anymore until you do.
Old 05-22-2007 | 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
after reading through this entire thread, you've made me want to blow my brains out.

you ask for help, then when the answer is right in your face numerous times, you continue again and again to ask for more advice...

what is so hard to believe that you need to run different tires?

First, you're running 3.73's vs. 3.42's and though there is only a small difference, the power isn't being put down the same as before... if you're running on a cold drag radial at higher speeds that were not meant to be obtained at a constant basis on those tires, of course its going to be a bit more difficult to drive. They're not the best lateral handling tires you know, a lane change even on drag "radials" can still cause an accident if the driver is not cautious or informed of what the tires he is using on the street are capable of.

second, as was mentioned, more unsprung weight, that can't help any of course...

and third, you answered the question yourself a few times not to mention how many other people also came to the same conclusion...

why do you put Sam through a slew of questions only to ignore it? I feel that's pretty rude.
Shut the hell up dude. You arent seeing it from my pont of view. Somethimes people have solutions that just may work and dont require what 99% or people are suggesting. Ive see it done before.

Also Its hard to accpt because I never heard of street tires making such a big difference on the road.

Instead of getting mad at me or trying to argue as to why I would keep asking the same question, maybe you should try and figure out why I was doing do in the first place. Maybe I have something else in mind. I ran all weather tires at first and then I ran Nittos ( 3 times after that) The nittos had teh same exact manners as the all weather tires ( except for them being much stickier tires). This is the first time, where they feel waaaay different. I mean Its very noticable. Thats why Im asking, because maybe someone else wouldf have something else to say. Just because he is Sam Strano, doesnt mean he has all teh right answers all the time ( No offense, the guy is extremely knowledgable in this section) But I dont see why it offends you if I try a little harder to squeeze some more information out of someone else that may have found a very small difference, that is easy to do, that can easily be done, that one of you guys may have forgotten to mention. It has happened before and until humans are perfect I will keep doing so, thank you very much.
Old 05-22-2007 | 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pjb
try different tires, and don't waste everyones time anymore until you do.
The reason I posted a thread on LS1tech is to see what everyone will say. Everyone is saying tires so Im pretty damn sure this is the right reason. However, Its easier said than sone. I just got these tires and am not gonna get new ones til I go through with them. so I have to live with this weak-suck rear tire handling.
Old 05-22-2007 | 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Weezzer
Since you don't like the tire replacement idea at all, then tell us what answer you want to hear and I'll have someone post it up for you to follow.
As a matter fo fact, Strano mentioned that a temporary/small-time solution is to fiull the tire with as much air as acceptable and that should help more. So thats what I will do.

I think there are many out there that think Mickey Thompson E/T street radials are a good alternative to Nittos for DD. I think They need to be warned that they arent good for street use. Not because their treadwear is gonna suck or because they will slip in the water. No but because at speeds over 75-80 the car feels wobbly as hell. and is unsafe.
Old 05-22-2007 | 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

and just a FYI my old front tires ( Falkens) were much better than my New front tires ( Sumitomos) The sumitomos, when I brake screech much faster than the Falkens do. But the sumitomos were put through abuse much worse and had bald spots which were causing vibration @ 60-70 mph.

and My Nittos were great for handling, but They were bald from the previous week at the dragstrip. Also they were causing wheelhop with my new 12 bolt in and 3.7s, because the rate of acceleration somehow and the harder compound Nittos, just didnt grip and cause the rearend to wheelhop. So my Mickey Thompsons solved that issue, but now

Im looking for an optimum tire. Something that would grip but still has a hard sidewall liek Nittos do. Maybe New Nittos would have felt different than my bald ones and wouldnt wheelhop.

and what tires would someone suggest for my fronts? I have experience with Goodyear F1s on a v6 5spd mustang an dalthough the car is slow and stock. It takes corners very well and I just have a 215/60 15 on the sucker! and it feel slike it hugs the road well. So I was wondering if any of you had experience with Goodyear F1 eagles on the camaro and how well of a tire is that for grabbing the road?

so based on what I mentioned, what would be a good front and rear tire for Daily driving, but a good handling tire as well. I know when I had nittos. the handling was good when I took it to raod racing, It was good for drag racing, daily driving manners were excellent for a tire that also performed above average in both the straight line launching and corners. as well as street racing (whenever I had teh chance, which was rare) So I think this is a good tire to stick with. on the rear. any other suggestions?

as for the dragstrip, Im gonna get a pair of weld wheels and drag slicks and skinnys up front, so I dont keep wasting my DD tires at the dragstrip.
Old 05-22-2007 | 05:26 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

What size tires are you running? 245/50R16 or 275/40R17?

If they are 17s, check out the Kumho Ecsta MX.

Also look into the BFG KDW, Fuzion ZRi.

The tires are definitely the problem. The ET Street Radials are about as soft as the ET Street race tires, just radial instead of bias ply. As mentioned above by someone else referring to a vette, my car felt VERY soft by the 1/8 mark at the track (1/8 MPH was 93mph) on ET Streets. Even going into 4th made the rear of the car feel like it wanted to hop sideways. On the other hand, with the KDW's on the back on the street, I can take the speeds way up and not feel scared. My 16" Nittos felt good up top too (118mph traps, 130+ highway runs).

The Nitto drag radial is a GREAT all-around tire. I'm debating between them and the BFG drag radial for my car. I hope the Nittos will hook well enough for me on the street. The rear side-steps into 2nd and 3rd with the balding KDW's on the back.

Oh, and do NOT run those M/T's at 40psi. Like you said, it didn't improve handling much, and I'm sure every other aspect about the tire got noticeably worse (grip, wear, etc.).
Old 05-22-2007 | 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Comparing a nitto to a m/t drag radial in terms of the rear end wandering around is useless, nitto's are a street tire with soft tread, the mickey's are a full out drag radial. Many peopl even auto-x and put nitto drag radials on on the road coarse, you don't see anyone doing that with m/t's.
Old 05-22-2007 | 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
What size tires are you running? 245/50R16 or 275/40R17?

If they are 17s, check out the Kumho Ecsta MX.

Also look into the BFG KDW, Fuzion ZRi.

The tires are definitely the problem. The ET Street Radials are about as soft as the ET Street race tires, just radial instead of bias ply. As mentioned above by someone else referring to a vette, my car felt VERY soft by the 1/8 mark at the track (1/8 MPH was 93mph) on ET Streets. Even going into 4th made the rear of the car feel like it wanted to hop sideways. On the other hand, with the KDW's on the back on the street, I can take the speeds way up and not feel scared. My 16" Nittos felt good up top too (118mph traps, 130+ highway runs).

The Nitto drag radial is a GREAT all-around tire. I'm debating between them and the BFG drag radial for my car. I hope the Nittos will hook well enough for me on the street. The rear side-steps into 2nd and 3rd with the balding KDW's on the back.

Oh, and do NOT run those M/T's at 40psi. Like you said, it didn't improve handling much, and I'm sure every other aspect about the tire got noticeably worse (grip, wear, etc.).
They are 245/50 16s and we put 255s for the Mickey Thompsons.

The car feels wobbly but I still took the car up to 140 with them..

Also The thing is the car feels unstable but handling is relatively the same, for example there is a steep curve near my house and I usually take it at 65 mph, which is a very High G at the curve. I was able to maintain that sam espeed again with the Mickey Thompsons and I only had 25 psi of air in them. Just because they feel unstable doesnt mean it altered my handling ( Im sure it still did)... But It isnt a huge difference in what it can actually perform. just the feedback and feeling isnt good at all.

Yes I agree that the Nitto is a great all around tire.
Old 05-22-2007 | 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Comparing a nitto to a m/t drag radial in terms of the rear end wandering around is useless, nitto's are a street tire with soft tread, the mickey's are a full out drag radial. Many peopl even auto-x and put nitto drag radials on on the road coarse, you don't see anyone doing that with m/t's.
I know. when I road raced, I used nittos and they held great. The Mickey Thompsons actually take steep curves okay too ( Not as well as the Nittos, but quite well for what they are), but the feeling isnt stable and Im usualy a risk taker, but because of the poor feedback Im cautious with these tires.
Old 05-22-2007 | 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't know what to tell ya. If there was a tire that got me into 1st in autox, got me into 11's at the strip, didn't wear out for 30k miles, and can get you through snowstorms, then I'd probably buy it.

You bought a crappy tire for the street, so now you have to live with it. Put the pressure up and probably wear the tire out quicker than ever. If you were trying to save yourself money, you took the wrong road. Those tires are competitive drag racing tires, not street tires.

What is your goal with the car anyway? Seems like you took random modifications and tossed them all into a blender.
Old 05-23-2007 | 01:38 AM
11 Second Club

My goal is

DD
on average a drag racer ( 5-10 passes) per month
road racing 3 times a year

My suspension is setup for road racing more than anythiung, but my tires on it now are drag tires, as I learned thats all theyre good for now.
Old 05-23-2007 | 06:17 AM
Banned

So you had the same tires on after you bought all your suspension upgrades and they rode fine till you added a 12bolt then you bought more of the same tire and it rides bad ? Just trying to get it straight first.
Old 05-23-2007 | 06:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I don't know what to tell ya. If there was a tire that got me into 1st in autox, got me into 11's at the strip, didn't wear out for 30k miles, and can get you through snowstorms, then I'd probably buy it.

You bought a crappy tire for the street, so now you have to live with it. Put the pressure up and probably wear the tire out quicker than ever. If you were trying to save yourself money, you took the wrong road. Those tires are competitive drag racing tires, not street tires.

What is your goal with the car anyway? Seems like you took random modifications and tossed them all into a blender.
So lts and suspension upgrades and then replacing your rear is tossing it into the blender ? LOl i must have put mine with a stick of dynomite then !

Quick Reply: Strano, I need your advice