Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

getting new struts and shocks, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default getting new struts and shocks, quick question

I was told by a local tire place that I should also replace my upper strut mounts when doing the front struts, b/c they may be worn out. I have seen a strut mount break and release a strut and spring before on these cars, so with 92k miles is it a worthwhile replacement?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Teching In

yes,i saw one break and the strut went thru the hood
Old 05-23-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

good info right there
Old 05-23-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like I will be getting new ones, anyone know who sells them for a good price?

thanks
Old 05-23-2007, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with that many miles they will most likely get torn up trying to remove the strut nut.
I also suggest putting alittle grease or anitseaze in the cup around the nut (after its tight) so they will come apart the next time you want to remove them.
The strut mount seems to hold water right there and they are nearly impossible to remove
Old 05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

LS1 F-bodies do not have struts or strut mounts. The upper shock mount cannot allow the strut to go through the hood. You do not need to replace them unless they are damaged when removing the old shock bolt. Mine have 90k on them and now on my third set of shocks.. they are fine.

My Dad GP GTP on the other hand has strut and the strut mounts were trashed at 100k.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

just got mine from car quest today 43.00 each
Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Greggy
LS1 F-bodies do not have struts or strut mounts. The upper shock mount cannot allow the strut to go through the hood. You do not need to replace them unless they are damaged when removing the old shock bolt. Mine have 90k on them and now on my third set of shocks.. they are fine.

My Dad GP GTP on the other hand has strut and the strut mounts were trashed at 100k.
It's a "shock cup" and does pretty much exactly what a strut mount does. Go to carquest or autozone and ask for a strut mount for your car and you'll get the right part.

I just did my shocks and springs last week and had to replace my driver's side cup, it exploded about 20 minutes after it was removed from the car.

I mean, they are made of RUBBER after all. I would agree that it's not a bad idea to replace them on a car nearing 100k miles.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

i was wondering what all this strut talk is about, pretty sure my car has upper control arms and shocks, not struts. we dont need to be spreading confusing info to new members...
Old 05-24-2007, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they do have struts and mounts. the spring in mounted on the shock so it is a strut. The mount is what attaches it to the car. It may not have a pivot like most strut assembles but... Instead of using the strut as the upper support they also have an upper arm
Old 05-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
they do have struts and mounts. the spring in mounted on the shock so it is a strut. The mount is what attaches it to the car. It may not have a pivot like most strut assembles but... Instead of using the strut as the upper support they also have an upper arm
No, thats wrong.
Its a coil-over-spring design.
A strut setup doesn't have an upper control arm because the strut performs that function.

I found this using Google.
Originally Posted by www.autocenter.com/about/
a suspension design in which a reinforced shock absorber tube acts as the primary locating member, typically by pivoting in the body shell at the top of the strut and solidly mounting the wheel hub near the bottom end of the strut, which pivots in a ball-joint on a lower control arm. See also MacPherson strut and Chapman strut.
Here are articles on Wikipedia:
Strut:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPherson_strut
Shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_absorber

In a strut design, the spindle is supported on the bottom by a control arm and on the top by the strut which rotates with the spindle. In a Double A-Arm design, the spindle is supported on top and bottom by the A-Arms and the shock doesn't rotate.

Therefore, the 4th-gen f-body has front shocks, not struts.

Last edited by VIP1; 05-24-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

eeeeeeeeexactly...

Quick Reply: getting new struts and shocks, quick question