Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do I need a SCAN tool to bleed brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Do I need a SCAN tool to bleed brakes?

I tried searching and I cant find a solid answer. The repair manual says that you need some kind of SCAN tool just to bleed the frickin brakes. I want to install my linelock today but I dont have a scan tool just yet. What can I do?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all you need are basic tools, THATS IT. i would recommend bleading them a few times to ensure there are no air bubbles in the lines.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine without a scanner. What would you need a scanner for ?
Old 05-25-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no idea. It says in the Haynes manual you need a scanner etc etc. Thats why I have never taken off my calipers to paint them on the Firebird. Im afraid to remove them because I dont want to mess anything up with the computer or whatever.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think... keyword is think,,, that they refer to a scantool because there's a method for getting air out of the abs unit via the computer. I have the big GM service manual for my car and I thought I remember reading in there for brake bleed procedure to hook up to computer and run abs brake bleed program yadayada. I'll try to remember to look in the book tonight, if it mentions anything relevant i'll post it for you. I think it's the complete procedure, like when on the assembly line and you fill the entire brake system.

when you do your brakes, don't let brake fluid drain completely out of the system. clamp something over the banjo fittings (vice grip and piece of rubber or rag) when you remove them from the calipers if you're going to have them off for any length of time. That way fluid don't drain out the system that much, and keep the cap on the master cylinder tight, don't remove it till you're ready to add fluid when bleeding at the calipers.
I'm doing my brakes now, and have had all 4 calipers off for the past 2 weeks trying to polish them. Always seem to find something else to do,,, but the level in the master cyl resevoir hasn't dropped yet. If you're only going to have the caliper off for a few hours I wouldn't worry about it at all. Plenty of guys do their own brakes, if it were a likely problem i'm sure it would've been posted.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah man, I have found some more info on it, it doesnt seem like anybody uses a scan tool. The reason I ask is because I want to paint the calipers on the WS6 and also Im going to install a line lock on the Camaro. Thanks for the input though!

Quick Reply: Do I need a SCAN tool to bleed brakes?