Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks for Hotchkis

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks for Hotchkis

What would be a good shock for Hotchkis springs on a SS ? Please list from fair, good, and best
Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by jonssz28
What would be a good shock for Hotchkis springs on a SS ? Please list from fair, good, and best
I'm running Bilstein HDs with great results. I would say they are the minimum required shock for the Hotchkis springs. If you have the money, i'd shoot for Stano's Bilstein Revalves. If you really have the money, Koni SA's are widely praised, but they really are not cheap.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even though the Koni's are not cheap, i believe the price is well worth it. you really get a superior product for the price.

not only do they have a lifetime warranty, but you also get the ability to adjust the height by an extra 1/2" - 3/4" if you want, as well as being able to adjust the stiffness/softness of the shocks at any time. i don't know of any other shocks in their price range that gives you all of that....

and what happens if you end up not liking the springs you put on the car, and you want to go with different ones? koni's got you covered.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe Strano will chime in here. I dont think he is going to use the car for road racing or for really hard conering. I think the Re-valve Blisteins will work great.

Does anyone know the difference between the Revalves Blisteins and the Blistein HDs?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by PunkNPonys
Maybe Strano will chime in here. I dont think he is going to use the car for road racing or for really hard conering. I think the Re-valve Blisteins will work great.

Does anyone know the difference between the Revalves Blisteins and the Blistein HDs?
Yes the HDs use a generic valving that Bilstein chose most likely to make them applicable in as many situations as possible. Therefore, they are good at everything, great at nothing. That's just the way it works with shocks like that. That being said, I have them and in my humble opinion, they are more than adequate for the Hotchkis springs on the street.

Sam Strano will custom valve Bilsteins for whatever spring you are using. He can give them ideal damping characteristics for your application. Thus the name "revalves". To me, if you have the money, the revalves are the way to go. I only did the HDs because I was buying a suspension when I should have been buying brakes and a clutch.

If you don't have the money, despite what many will tell you, the HDs will be just fine.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would definitely go with the Koni SA.....

John
Old 06-03-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1 SIC Z
I would definitely go with the Koni SA.....

John
Do you still have those Hotchkis springs for sale?

JONSSZ28 is looking for some.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Yes the HDs use a generic valving that Bilstein chose most likely to make them applicable in as many situations as possible. Therefore, they are good at everything, great at nothing. That's just the way it works with shocks like that. That being said, I have them and in my humble opinion, they are more than adequate for the Hotchkis springs on the street.

Sam Strano will custom valve Bilsteins for whatever spring you are using. He can give them ideal damping characteristics for your application. Thus the name "revalves". To me, if you have the money, the revalves are the way to go. I only did the HDs because I was buying a suspension when I should have been buying brakes and a clutch.

If you don't have the money, despite what many will tell you, the HDs will be just fine.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have regular bilsteins, and am happy with the front, but the rear rebound was pretty poor until I installed relocation brackets. Even then, it is probably just masking the mismatched rebound.

I also have 18s with 275s in the back, which adds weight, so I am probably asking way too much of stock valved dampers anyhow.

The ride with same wheels and tires with Hotchkiss on stock bilsteins in the rear was pretty horrible IMO. Noticably worse rebound that stock rear suspension. With the brackets it is better.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Koni Sa's fo sho
Old 06-04-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

With Hotchkis springs I'd only get konis or Bilstien revalves. If you are satisfied with a bouncy ride, you could get HDs
Old 06-04-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the koni sa's paired with my hotchkis and I like it.

mike
Old 06-04-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PunkNPonys
Do you still have those Hotchkis springs for sale?

JONSSZ28 is looking for some.
Yep sure do.....tell him to PM me if he is interested...thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by z28bryan
With Hotchkis springs I'd only get konis or Bilstien revalves. If you are satisfied with a bouncy ride, you could get HDs
I have HDs. No bounciness whatsoever. None. The Z51 suspension package on the C6 has more bounciness in it than my car has with Hotchkis + HDs.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

strano bilistein revalves , is your best bet.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Konis.