Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Finally Decided: I am NOT doing the C5 Conversion anymore. Here's why . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
And is the C5 conversion bracket required to run the C5 rotor even without the C5 caliper?
Yes. The c5 rotor is larger by 0.4" radius from the center of the hub (.8" diameter overall) and you need to relocate the caliper accordingly for proper rotor to caliper clearance.

When I did my conversion I did not compare the sizing of my fbody pads to the c5 pads. Now I assume that the c5 would be a taller pad vs the fbody. Since the 12.8" c5 rotor has the wider hub to outside surface area, and the c5 caliper is now moved .4" away from the center of the hub, I would think that wider pads are used to utilize the entire increased surface area.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
This whole time that I've been searching for a good price on some C5 Calipers, I thought, "I am switching from my 2 piston setup to a . . . . . . . . . . 2 piston setup." Yes the C5 caliper is pressure-cast instead of gravity-cast. Yes the C5 caliper is SLIGHTLY larger and holds SLIGHTY larger pads. Does it justify the 250-300 price-tag? No.
I can understand the frustration. I was there for about 6 months....until I really dug in and searched AND decided that I did not need GM powder coated z06 calipers.

All totalled: Bob Bishop conversion brackets (trackbracket bought the design and now makes these), used c5 front calipers with abutment brackets and hardware, Hawk HP pads and d/s zinc washed rotors (all 4 wheels) for $575. Throw in the self satisfaction from the time to clean the front and rear brakes, paint the calipers, and the labor to complete it all, to me it is well worth the expense.

To replace all the rotors with the fbody front rotors and Hawk HP pads was $400, so the $175 for the c5 calipers and brackets was the point of decision.

Again, I was originally frustrated looking at the brackets being nearly $300 + another $250-300, plus still needing to spend $400+ for rotors and pads. I searched until I dropped and found a killer deal. There are other deals out there. But being patient was more than a virtue in my case.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im using Kore3 C5 brackets, stock Fbody calipers, C5 blank rotors, Hawk HP Plus pads, ATE Super Blue fluid... AWESOME stopping power. I didnt feel the need to get C5 calipers at first because i wanted to check out the Fbody calipers with this system.. if i feel they are no good on the track, then i will look into getting C5 calipers.. but for now.. my stopping ability is great.

oh and to the guy who said there are 4 piston replacement calipers... can you PM me with that info? You can post the name, just not a link to the sight or price..
Old 07-07-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SSBC says that they are direct replacements but they won't clear our rims most likely. I was thinking about SSBC's Tri-Power calipers though.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

"if i feel they are no good on the track, then i will look into getting C5 calipers.. "

Most guys have a problem with the Fbody caliper spreading, but they may not see it until heavy road race usage. SO what kind of track do you mean?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viper
"if i feel they are no good on the track, then i will look into getting C5 calipers.. "

Most guys have a problem with the Fbody caliper spreading, but they may not see it until heavy road race usage. SO what kind of track do you mean?
open track days at Miller Motorsports Park in UT.. i only go once every 2 months.. and only do 3, 20min sessions in a day... tracks are 2.2 miles long.. sometimes the full 4.5 mile track is open.. and then there is the 3.4 mile track..

Quick Reply: Finally Decided: I am NOT doing the C5 Conversion anymore. Here's why . . .