Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension clunking .... Sfc?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post jason, that makes perfect sense now that i think about it. Im gonna do that when i get home, should fix the clunking for many people
Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

There are two sounds I've experienced from this area under the car, one is a distinct crack or loud pop. For that, doing what Jason has illustrated will solve that one. Next, is a dull rattle from the right rear of the car at slow speeds and when traveling over uneven surfaces like expansion joints and the like. I believe I've found what might be causing this rattle but not sure on how to rid my car of it. In the link below is a short video of me under the car with a handfull of brake caliper. Listen to the sound and see if that's the same noise some of you might have.

Possible Culprit
Old 08-29-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

it sounds like your caliper bracket isnt bolted in tightly, but that would be too easy of an answer
Old 08-29-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The calipers are a floating design to allow them to move in and out when the piston expands. The amount of play you seem to have would indicate that
#1 - The grease on the guide rods is all dried up which is why it makes that clunk sound and
#2 - the caliper has been moving without grease and worn the guide rods down allowing them to move around more than they should.

I would recommend getting new guide rods and then lubing them with high temp caliper lube.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
it sounds like your caliper bracket isnt bolted in tightly, but that would be too easy of an answer
I checked them they're tight.
Originally Posted by JasonWW
I would recommend getting new guide rods and then lubing them with high temp caliper lube.
I had recently replaced the rear pads and did grease the pins but it does look like they might be worn. Is that the sound others out there experiencing on your cars?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Im not sure how those guide pins can wear out, theres not much to them. but if the caliper is the only thing moving then thats the only real possibility, $16 at a dealer
Old 08-29-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Im not sure how those guide pins can wear out, theres not much to them.
The caliper slides back and forth with every brake application. It's simple metal on metal friction that wears them down. Usually grease will get rid of the clunk sound as it fills the gaps, but if it's worn a lot then grease my not help the sound.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Lol, sorry, i do understand how they can wear down due to friction, it just seems that unless someone slams on their brakes, the friction would be almost nonexistent, those guide pins don't move much under braking
Old 08-29-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

In the time since my last post I went to the parts store, picked up a bolt/slider pins set and swapped out the factory hardware on both calipers. The slop shown in the video has been completely eliminated. I won't be able to drive the car to see if the sound is gone for an hour or so. I'll post what I find.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Sweet
Old 08-29-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im having a clunking noise on my car only its coming from the front end (very prominent on the passenger side). Everytime I go over cracks or sharp potholes in the road its so noticable and it pisses me off. Im just wondering if my passenger side coilover is loose because Ive had it off so much (had to get my QA1s revalved and now its making a squeeking noise because i think its leaking.) that I may have not tightened something up to specs.

About a year ago I had a clunking noise from the rear everytime i went over long cracks in the road (no speed bumps or of that nature). I just tightened up my panhard bar because it was loose and now, no more noise from the rear. Just typical vibration from the rear everytime i go over the same cracks in the road.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

The sound is gone! Hot Dog, my car is fun to drive again! I guess I should install new pins in the front calipers also.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
The sound is gone! Hot Dog, my car is fun to drive again! I guess I should install new pins in the front calipers also.
Pin kit:
PN#?
Cost?

Thanks
Andy
Old 08-29-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Pin kit:
PN#?
Cost?
I bought the the nut and pin set at an Advance Auto for 22 bucks. The PN on the bag reads 5081A

Last edited by Roadhouse; 08-29-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
Im having a clunking noise on my car only its coming from the front end (very prominent on the passenger side).
The front can be trickier. It's somewhat common for people to not fully tighten the upper shock bolts. The nuts have to bottom out.

Everything else can usually be checked pretty easily.

Quick Reply: Suspension clunking .... Sfc?