Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
VIP1, this thread astonishes me. Wow.
Best of luck, guys.
How so?
Old 08-27-2007 | 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
but how much will they take
I've never seen one fail on a street car (including 2 10 second Impala SS's that I know have them...4400 pound cars trapping over 125 mph)...I've seen some ridiculous off road machines put a hurting on them, but they were making WAY more power and loading them in all sorts of unorthodox ways going over rocks and other nonsense.
Old 08-28-2007 | 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

My only other concern with using those would be whether they're too wide.. if there would be enough space between the housing and the two sides of the mounting point that it would be bolted between. If the housing contacts the sheet metal, that would eleminate all those degrees of rotation. It seems to me that even the 2 inch (diameter) version would run that risk. i didnt see the width anywhere
Old 08-28-2007 | 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VIP1
How so?
Perhaps I am over reacting. But I recall our discussion a few months ago about LCAs. And I consider the importance of having the ends exactly parallel with each other. And then putting the correct type of ends on each end (poly/poly. poly/rod, rod/rod) and insuring that they are correctly parallel, as well as the correct length (being non-adjustable). And all this work for a $150-200 part on a $10k car. I just wonder why, when there are companies out there that do this for a living, have all the jigs correctly set up, tested, verified, and proven to be correct.
I, for one, would not trust my car nor my life to such a venture.
But again, perhaps that is just me.
Old 08-29-2007 | 12:36 AM
Banned

Perhaps I am over reacting. But I recall our discussion a few months ago about LCAs. And I consider the importance of having the ends exactly parallel with each other. And then putting the correct type of ends on each end (poly/poly. poly/rod, rod/rod) and insuring that they are correctly parallel, as well as the correct length (being non-adjustable). And all this work for a $150-200 part on a $10k car. I just wonder why, when there are companies out there that do this for a living, have all the jigs correctly set up, tested, verified, and proven to be correct.

well koolaid kid
i have welded for the last 5 years of my life. i trust my weld more then anyone i know or came across. i am certified in all welding fields.
so why pay 150-200 or even 300 for the good stuff when i can make it for less and make it the way i want it to be. not stuck by other companies limits. any leght, any color, any size, easy just let me know oh yes i do adj. just not most pop
Old 08-29-2007 | 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know what you think goes on in these companies shops with this talk about everything being tested verified and proven. all it takes is a good tubing notcher and a simple 90* jig or even one of those magnetic right-angle triangles to hold the bushing tubes in place (provided you haven't cut them down yet) while you weld them together. There's nothing magical about it. The "name brand" stuff breaks all the time. And being exactly the same length? the stock GM pieces don't achieve that, and they don't need to, as long as they're close enough that the thrust angle isn't waaaay off.

And besides all of that, the best way to go is just to get threaded rod from a chassis fabrication place in whatever style you want- aluminum, steel, round, hex, sweged with wrench flats, etc. Just get it in the right length and order the proper rod ends (or johnny joints, or whatever you like) and thread them on with jam nuts and you've got a pair of lightweight, incredibly strong LCA's that cost less than 75 bucks and you dont have to weld anything.

But for people who don't know- they can just buy the aftermarket ones... thats what they're there for
Old 08-29-2007 | 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
My only other concern with using those would be whether they're too wide.. if there would be enough space between the housing and the two sides of the mounting point that it would be bolted between. If the housing contacts the sheet metal, that would eleminate all those degrees of rotation. It seems to me that even the 2 inch (diameter) version would run that risk. i didnt see the width anywhere
Yeah...thats why I haven't built a set of arms for the Camaro yet...I'm still trying to figure that out. I run the 2.5" joints on my Impala and they're perfect, housing doesn't hit anything...Camaro definitely needs smaller joints. I'm not looking for that extreme range of motion they can allow...a rod end has more than I need...I like them for the poly cushion/isolation.