Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear wheels locked up after taking car out of storage..

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear wheels locked up after taking car out of storage..

I took one of my winter beaters out of storage and the rear wheels will not rotate. Car was in storage a little over a year. Car has 4 wheels antilock brakes- 94 camry. What do I need to do to get them rotating?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Was your parking brake on? If it was, it sounds like they froze to the drums. Lots of banging with a hammer is the only way to get it undone that I know of.
Good Luck.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

+1 on brake seizure... being a FWD, there's not much moving around back there except for brake hardware. If it's a drum rear I'm betting the cylinders leaked and mixed with the used/expelled brake pad material to form a nice gunk that has locked your shoes to the drum on the wear groove. If you have trouble removing your brake drums, this is most likely it.
(or your shoes' securing pins have rusted or fallen off, and the whole shoe assembly has shifted internally and jammed against the wear grooves)

You *might* get lucky and loosen the whole mess by trying to move the car backward and pumping the brakes, but make sure you can do this safely, the car will lurch when/if the brake assembly breaks loose.

Otherwise, it might be a case of the parking brake cable that might be rusted internally. You need to get back there and tug at it to loosen the parking brake.

Quick Reply: Rear wheels locked up after taking car out of storage..