Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Brake Replacement Question

Old 05-29-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Replacement Question

I recently replaced my front rotors and pads (AIMCO rotors, and OEM pads)
It had significantly cut down on the pulsation during hard braking, but my car still vibrates during hard braking, and now if feels like it is coming from the rear only.

Should I just go with AIMCO rotors and OEM pads again for the rears? Is there any tirck to changing out the rotor/drums on the rear? Thanks for any info...

Tommy
Old 05-29-2003, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Rear Brake Replacement Question

NO real trick, it's about like changing the front ones. THe rear rotors warp on these cars as well. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

It is probably caused by excessive braking from high volicity runs made availible only from a very warmed-over engine and a lead-footed driver.....

Suggestion: replace EVERTHING that is subject to wear...

ever
Old 06-18-2003, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Like trackbird mentioned, nothing special to the rear rotors. Just make sure you have the parking brake off when you try and pull the old ones off
Old 06-19-2003, 12:15 AM
Teching In

I recently replaced my front rotors and pads (AIMCO rotors, and OEM pads)
It had significantly cut down on the pulsation during hard braking, but my car still vibrates during hard braking, and now if feels like it is coming from the rear only.

Should I just go with AIMCO rotors and OEM pads again for the rears? Is there any tirck to changing out the rotor/drums on the rear? Thanks for any info...

Tommy

Tom,
Before buying entirely new rotors I would maybe have them checked and turned (machined) it will save u a ton of cash. I own a 1998 Z28 and can vouch that the brakes on these cars are crap, and expensive to replace i.e. new rotors. However, GM did make it very simple to change out pads as you may know. For the rear brakes, your parking brake system will run interference. As you may or may not know is basically a drum brake within your rear rotors. The shoes on the parking brake are a pain in the *** and make it difficult to remove the rear rotors, due to them pushing out onto the inside wall of the drum inside the rotor. For some reason the adjustment on the wheel cylinder for the parking brake to retract the piston is only accessible once the rotor is off **shrug**.
I used a rubber mallet and a lot of swearing to remove my rear discs. I also removed the parking brake cable from the back of the wheel cylinder to ensure that it was not putting any pressure into the system.

Old 06-19-2003, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Tom,
Before buying entirely new rotors I would maybe have them checked and turned (machined) it will save u a ton of cash.

My opinion is that replacing the rotors is the best way to go. Turning your warped rotors may be a fix for the very short term, but with even less material now, they'll likely warp again in no time and then you'll have to buy new ones anyway..
Old 06-19-2003, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotors are at their best when they're the most dense. They resist warp at their thickest. Turning them is a cheap/temporary fix and they'll only warp sooner b/c you have removed more material from them. Now they're less dense and even more prone to warping.

Replace them.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:06 PM
JTM
TECH Regular

$39 a rotor from autozone, thats cheap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Brake Replacement Question