Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car is vibrating/shaking on highway....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is vibrating/shaking on highway....

My car shakes pretty bad on the highway above 60 mph. It does this even in neutral. It also seems to vibrate a bit at about 3k rmps and up although I am not sure cause I used run a open cutout and that itself would make the car vibrate.

I can feel it in my seat, as well as the steering wheel. I noticed that my shifter shakes too. It does not feel safe go WOT above 60 mph, it feels like I am going to have a blowout. I think its mainly coming from the front. What could be causing this nasty vibration?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately a lot of things could be contributing. What mods have you done that would affect the car that way?

Typically if you feel it in the steering wheel, it's in the front end. I'd start with wheel/tire balance. Tires towards the end of their life often have internal damage you can't see that causes vibration. Check your front wheel bearings to make sure the play isn't excessive.

Other things that are likely causes are pinion angle out of whack. Aftermarket torque arm? Lowered car? Aftermarket rear end? Bad u-joint?

Also, it doesn't vibrate when you aren't moving I presume--only when moving above 60 mph. That eliminates your aftermarket clutch assy.

Looks like you have some work to do. Vibrations are a pain.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

all stock suspension including the rear end... just replaced the u-joint not to long ago. Could warped brake rotors cause this? or maybe tranny mount? cause my shifter vibrates in sync with the overall car vibration that i can feel in my seat.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

got tires balanced it helped out a lot but I think my tires need to be replaced as it STILL shakes a little on highway but it is way better now that wheels are balanced. I think it is time for a new set of tires. But what is weird is at about 100 mph it starts make a grinding sound almost like grinding against a bad bearing.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The tires could still be the problem, how many miles are on them. I would also check the tie rods, ball joints, sway bar endlinks, etc. Anything that can wear.

Warped rotors typically won't cause a vibration concern unless you're applying the brakes.