Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My ABS INOP and Brake are On

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My ABS INOP and BRAKE LIGHT Stay On And Won't Go Off

I took my 2002 camaro ss to the car wash and later that night my ABS INOP came on and would not go off. After work I started my car the light was off and every thing was normal. The next day I started my car and the ABS INOP and Brake lights were on. My E-brake is off and the lights are still on. I still have brakes and I have looked under my car and I don't see any thing wrong. Can any one give me some advice I would rather fix it my self rather then go to the dealership and get over charged for some thing simple.

Last edited by whitemikescamaross; 10-09-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

Well, from my experiences the ABS INOP light is either a problem with the abs unit itself, or the most common problem is with a wheel sensor (getting wet). as for the BRAKE light it just runs off the switch on the brake lever inside the console.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

The BRAKE light is used for more than just for the e-brake. For example, check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

bump.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Teching In

I checked out the car today and the ABS INOP and BRAKE lights are still on. I've gotten under the car and checked and I don't see any thing abnormal. I've checked the brake fluid is at max and all ABS fuses are good. I drove up and down my drive way and I have good brakes. I want to drive it on the streets but I'm afraid of some thing breaking and my brakes won't work. Before this happened when I have hit deep pot holes the ABS INOP light does come on but goes off right away. I gonna check every thing again tomorrow and if I can't find any thing I will to go the dealership. But I thinking some thing shorted out because all this happened after I washed my car.

Mike
Old 10-09-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Dont go to the dealership they will make up some random problem and charge you up the ying yang for it........I would wait it out for a couple days.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Check all your wheel speed sensors for damage. That particular code should show C0245 when you scan it. Which is general for the WSS's
Old 10-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Wear can I get my codes checked at? I've that Autozone can't check because a different kind of scanner is needed and that a dealership has too scan for certain codes.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:13 PM

i'm having the exact same problem right now. its frustrating
Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Ever figure the problem out?
Old 05-19-2023, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is most probably the sensors or the electrical plug connectconnectio. If traction control equipped locate the speed sensor wire at each wheel , disconnect the connector and properly clean the wire connections. If no traction control then you have the same procedure on the front two wheels and the rear ABS sensor is on top of the differential. To fix is the same either way. one has four connections and the other has three. If you clean the connections and still have the problem then I will give you my shade tree mechanic approach. Since I don't have the information to test each sensor at $35 a corner up front, I can replace the bearings which include the speed sensor. I don't recall what the cost was to replace the 2 rear sensors nor the cost for the sensor on top of the differential if not traction control but in this instance you can throw parts at it $100--$150 and you will fix the problem and perhaps fix a pending front bearing issue before it's squeals. This is a pretty straightforward repair and a great time to start learning the breaking system. Make sure you wire brush the spindle mating surface if you replace bearings.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

16 years later....

Quick Reply: My ABS INOP and Brake are On