Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

whats pros/cons of removing front sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

It does handle like absolute **** without it. Sorry, but that's the case. If you can tolerate driving a ill-handling POS, that's your call, and hundreds of thousands of folks do it everyday with no clue something isn't right.

I could drive a car without say... rear brakes too. What's the big deal? I can can stop, as long as I don't drive hard.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^your over reacting there buddy.....as long as your not taking turns fast and your car sees lots of the drag strip you shouldnt have to worry

Ive done it before
Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, we had the other thread up there with replies, this one is two pages.

There is a BIG difference between CAN I do something and should I do something. Can I drive on bald street tires, yes is it a good idea NO. There hundreds of these arguments. You never know when you might need 100% of your PERFOMRANCE cars handling ability and miss a kid,dog, or car etc.

Why, there is just no point when you can take it off at the track or disconnect it? Has a lot of people done it without getting hurt...yes, but there is a lot of things people have done and got by with..dont' mean it was a good idea or a safe one.

Just use common sense if GM could have saved xx dollars on that, you think they would have put it on the car if it really didn't need it? You can cut your stock shocks and drop it 2 inches and ride on stock shocks...is that a good idea?

Well I tried...hope everybody keeps safe.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolformula
you think they would have put it on the car if it really didn't need it?
:cough: :cough: 10-bolt
Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I might have your missed your point. What other cheaper rear end would GM put in these cars?beside the 10-bolt? The 12 bolt would have raised a fixed cost over every unit produced. I think if the car was shipped without a rear end, customers might have not liked that. However if they shipped without a sway bar, many may not (according to these type posts) see my point they added it for "safety" and a performance application. But the engineers thought it was vital and GM justified the cost.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Can one of the experts on this subject step in and break down the reasons why its dangerous on the street? If we all just keep saying "You shouldn't remove it because it's dangerous" and never break down the reasons why, then we're always gonna get this neverending useless meaningless threads and posts about the same thing and come to no conclusion.

My guess why a lot of drag racers don't get any issues is because they are driving on 17x9 inch front street tires with like 5 times less traction than their back tires which are probably bfg radials and 17x11. If this is the case, wouldn't it be safer if they are tuning out the oversteer on the street? It won't fix the less responsive front end obviously, but wouldn't that help them?

Let's discuss this freakin topic for once. It's always "I do it".... "no you shouldn't it's dangerous".... "No I've done it for years, you suck"..... "omg no you shouldn't".. etc etc etc
Old 10-25-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

took mine off when I 1st got the car Its fine. The front end comes right up. 1.9 60' stock wheels.
No **** its not gona handle as good, but its still better then my work truck. and most other cars out there. So I think it handles fine, diving to fast is driving to fast. You dont drive a track prpe C5, like you drive a F150 its common sence.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolformula
I might have your missed your point. What other cheaper rear end would GM put in these cars?beside the 10-bolt? The 12 bolt would have raised a fixed cost over every unit produced. I think if the car was shipped without a rear end, customers might have not liked that. However if they shipped without a sway bar, many may not (according to these type posts) see my point they added it for "safety" and a performance application. But the engineers thought it was vital and GM justified the cost.
a stronger rear end from one of the many trucks that GM sells
Old 10-25-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

I can see it now... GM builds a car that can go straight faster than any othe car!!!!

No front sway bar
Huge rear bar
QA1 shocks
12 bolt
skinny front tires
12 psi rear drag radial

Warning sticker: Do not use/drive in rain, snow, any roads with turns and speeds faster than Granny drives! HA!

They would sell like 100 of them and be sued by the familIies of the kids that died driving the interstate....Only the stupid kids of course. Would never happen to me.

The 10 bolt if fine for near stock powered cars and ALL cars come with front sway bars for a GOOD reason. DRag cars only go straight.

The car IS less safe on turns than without the front bar. PERIOD.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It does handle like absolute **** without it. Sorry, but that's the case. If you can tolerate driving a ill-handling POS, that's your call, and hundreds of thousands of folks do it everyday with no clue something isn't right.

I could drive a car without say... rear brakes too. What's the big deal? I can can stop, as long as I don't drive hard.

^^^^This guy knows his stuff. He hasnt steered me wrong yet. He talks-I dont argue.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Greggy
The car IS less safe on turns than without the front bar. PERIOD.
And I agree because I've driven with my setup with no front swaybar before so I know what it feels like personally.

People want to know why though. It's unsafe period. Why? Because you feel a front disconnected feeling. Why? Because under a turn the front end will compress/decompress more, which in turn will cause the rear to do such and such.... fill in the blank... I don't know.

I think that's what people want to know though... tell us why. Everyone gives opinions and no facts or reasons

I broke my passenger front swaybar mount last year. I can tell you that was definitely unsafe. I was picking up the inside tire in turns enough where there wasn't enough resistance for the Torsen diff to work. So the wheel would spin like crazy and then land and would be impossible to control. Could this same thing happen with the FSB delete?
Old 10-25-2007, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28bryan
My guess why a lot of drag racers don't get any issues is because they are driving on 17x9 inch front street tires with like 5 times less traction than their back tires which are probably bfg radials and 17x11. If this is the case, wouldn't it be safer if they are tuning out the oversteer on the street? It won't fix the less responsive front end obviously, but wouldn't that help them?
Actually, it could be worse with the big, stickier (than skinnies) street tires and no front bar, than having skinnies on in the street. I say this because the ones who run around in the street with skinnies on (hopefully) would not even attempt to "pound" a turn/corner/curve. I hope that they have that much brain power, but who knows?? Whereas the ones with no bar and full size fronts may feel there is no problem and get into trouble "banging" a turn waaayyy too hard. Now, of course this does not cover situations where one has to make emergency
maneuvers and such.
I think Sam came in on some of the MANY previous threads about this and gave very good technical explanations as to exactly why it is unsafe and wrong. Maybe he will do so again if he is not sick and tired of this whole arguement?
Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh god, not this again
Old 10-26-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by psykoTA
^^^^This guy knows his stuff. He hasnt steered me wrong yet. He talks-I dont argue.
This statement means nothing.

I can and do drive harder than the average person and especially my grandparents. I have no problems with not having, I just don't expect it to handle as well as it could with it still in place. I just don't care about that.

Just undo one side, drive it around, and decide for yourself what you like. It might not be for everyone and I really don't give a **** if you do it or not. Just man up and try it.

Jon
Old 10-26-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's started again..........
Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Teching In

took mine off three yrs. ago.......and never missed it.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

I took mine off recently and noticed no big difference in handling. The car still drives fine and handles well. Granted, I am not taking turns at 80mph either. If you are mainly going to drag race the car take it off, if you plan on auto crossing the car leave it on. I have no desire to be a canyon carver so I took mine off.

Quick Reply: whats pros/cons of removing front sway bar?