Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

whats pros/cons of removing front sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats pros/cons of removing front sway bar?

well i have a DD and not a track car yet, but i hear lots do this. what should i expspect if doing this mod

thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The sway bar is meant to help the car in driving. If a track car, even more so. The only time its USEFUL to disconnect this is at the drag strip and only while going in a straigh line.

If your a DD guy I would upgrade the front bar, on 3rd gens they came with nice big frong bars up to 36MM and these cars most of them come with a 30mm, so there tiny.

Don't take it off if your not at the drag strip!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ What he said, don't bother taking it off unless it becomes a full out drag only car.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

3rd gens really had that big of a bar up front?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not all of them, some of the IROC,GTA,WS6 it varied in the years, and the irocs I know had the wondor bar with the big front bar. Also they had a bigger rear bar I think most of the time, plush the shocks had better valving.

Thats why I think most people think they handle better, not taking anything away I really like 3rd gens, but a 4th gen is not shabby with a good bar and better shocks.

Lot of people can cut .1 or maybe .2 with no front bar and a good launch may vary though.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Teching In

If you like huge understeer do it... I'm an AX/HPDE guy but I heard the drag race guys do it to allow weight transfer.

Also, there are 35 mm bars available for our cars. I have one on mine.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

I took mine off and never looked back.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a huge post on this with a lot of arguing and bashing a while back. If you want to delete it to reap the benefits of weight transfer and reduce a little weight, do it. Just keep in mind that it's going to handle like a 1971 chevy truck.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Launching!

thanks everyone, and i dont want to drive like a old truck LOL
Old 10-20-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by El_Diablo
Just keep in mind that it's going to handle like a 1971 chevy truck.

That's just retarded.

It wasn't specified which kind of track you were going to, but since you've even considered taking it off, you must be going to the drag strip. Taking it off allows for much more weight transfer. I, along with many other people I know have removed theirs and just driving normal there really isn't a noticeable difference. I do know a few people who like to drive a little faster than most on curvy back roads that said they could feel the extra body roll and didn't feel as confident in the turns. They still left it off though.

If you are talking about a road course and not a drag strip, then bigger is better.

Jon
Old 10-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Launching!

cool thanks, soo what exactly does it do for the strip. is it just weight loss from front end for the purpose of less weight on front end. or does the bar restrict front transer or something ??? still kinda new on this
Old 10-20-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Well it might be like 5 lbs of weight. And every little bit helps, but if you've ever been to the drag strip and watched a fast older car or 5.0 mustang leave the line it will twist the body and pick the left side of the car up. That allows that side to come up higher and faster if not both sides just by the momentum it generates. Putting more weight to the back tires. Sway bars, like mention earlier in this thread, reduce that body roll.

Jon
Old 10-21-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
That's just retarded. Jon
And that was uncalled for. To be fair, my statement was a little exaggerated. But I did happen to be the proud owner of a 1971 Chevy truck when I was younger so the comparison was good enough for me. The body roll is VERY noticeable at speed. I have had the sway bar off of my car for about three years now, just be careful. Dodging another motorist can get hairy.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Less weight, better weigh transfer for drag racing.

Worse handling characteristics, primarily cornering.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

The pros are the obvious stuff you guys mentioned already

The cons are that its a lot harder to control compared with it connected. You will have a lot more oversteer which a lot of people like. I've driven with mine off and felt quite a disconnected feeling while driving. And I do two different types of racing so my info is mad legit yo

Probably if you drive like a granny then you will be ok, but I'm sure 100% of you all who say you drive slow with it off are really doing it
Old 10-21-2007, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah it will just steer more like a boat. I would just unhook the front sway bar when you go to the track, instead of taking it off.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I think this subject has been beaten to death about 4000 times before. Honest to God, do we need another multi-page thread about this??????? Here's what happens. Some drag racers think it's fine to take of a part that adds the majority of the front roll stiffness and drive around like that. Those who actually know how suspensions work and don't drive around like my Grandmother, realize this is a dumb idea.

Take the damned thing off at the track, or at least before you go the track. I don't really care how many times I hear some random person on this board say "it's fine to run without it", it doesn't make it true if you drive your car harder than you'd drive around the block to check some new part installation.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I think this subject has been beaten to death about 4000 times before. Honest to God, do we need another multi-page thread about this??????? Here's what happens. Some drag racers think it's fine to take of a part that adds the majority of the front roll stiffness and drive around like that. Those who actually know how suspensions work and don't drive around like my Grandmother, realize this is a dumb idea.

Take the damned thing off at the track, or at least before you go the track. I don't really care how many times I hear some random person on this board say "it's fine to run without it", it doesn't make it true if you drive your car harder than you'd drive around the block to check some new part installation.
I agree and would never remove mine for the street, but I've never been able to explain and pick apart what the characteristics are between having it on and having it off. And people on ls1tech seem to want to know why something is so but we don't get those types of answers very often. You give them, but a lot of people don't. I'm sure they've been answered a ton of times llike 4 years ago.

The only thing I could say is that removing the front bar will cause extremely imbalanced oversteer and the fact that you have 10x worse front end control feel will probably make it close to impossible to correct. We spend a lot of time talking about how a 35/25 setup will make the rear end really tail happy. That must make a 0/19 or 0/21 setup be much worse.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i would reconnect it or put it back on when you come home from the track. it could make emergency maneuvers on the interstate kinda hard.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

My brother took it off his 97 TA it wasnt that big of a deal, people swear your entire car is going to handle like absolute **** without it. Just dont drive like a ricer.

Quick Reply: whats pros/cons of removing front sway bar?