Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cross drilled/slotted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross drilled/slotted rotors?

Well the time has come to replace my rotors (and brakes).

I see all over ebay these el-cheapo looking sets of rotors for about 200 bucks for all 4.

Some are cross drilled, some are slotted, some are both.

They all swear that it will increase stopping power, heat dissipation blah blah blah.

Are these rotors worth it? I have heard slotted ones wear down the pads sooner.

Do cross drilled ones do the same?

Are they really just for looks, or do they actually decrease stopping distance?

Don't get me wrong, I like the looks..but I dont want to have to replace pads more than I have to.

I'm going with Hawk HPS pads all 4 of them for 140 shipped brand new.

Just cant decide on the rotors. Do the designs of the slots/drills make any kind of difference??

All advice greatly appreciated!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

el-cheapo is el-cheapo, and won't hold up to any serious abuse at all, plain and simple.

Cross drilling and slotting is an aesthetic modification only, period. There is zero performance gain, and the potential for rotor failure due to cracking.

Kicking the dead horse just one more time.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

WS6Store has all for for about $170... I've got em and no problems..
Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Launching!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will lower you to his level and beat you with experience"

I wonder why companies like Porsche and such put failure ridden cross drilled and slotted rotors on their production vehicles??
Old 10-22-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A simple search will clear this up, but not to beat a dead horse holes and slots DO NOT ADD any performance. Some of the higher end cars that run such rotors have cast in hole not drilled, drilled lead to cracks.. Just do a simple search before this becomes a huge flame war....

"IMPORTANT REMINDER: Slotted, drilled or dimpled rotors offered as OEM replacements should not be considered appropriate for high-speed track use.

While grooved, drilled and slotted rotors offer an enhanced appearance and add some resistance to the boundary layer of gasses that can build up between the pad and rotor, they are not designed to withstand the extreme temperatures that are produced on the racetrack. If they are used on the track, it is very important that the rotors be carefully inspected and should not be driven on if even minor signs of deterioration are seen. Note, too, that if any products are used on the track they are not warrantable."" FROM BEMBO's site!!
New pads these days don't produce the gasses that pads of the past used to produce....
Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually if you were to chamfer the holes that are drilled through the rotor you wont have any problems with cracking unless you do something really crazy with the rotor. When you chamfer the hole you are releiving the stresses created in the metal from drilling a hole through it. Now if there isnt proper edge distance from the end of the part or the pitch distance between the holes is too close you could run into cracking, but if you have a part with those sorts of problems you probably shouldnt put it on your car anyway. FWIW i have slotted and drilled rotors on my car with hawk hps pads and i have done quite a bit of hard braking with them and so far i havnt had problems with cracking or warping. just my .02 though
Old 10-22-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrecked a set of Baer Decelerotors in less than 2 years, cross drilled/slotted. Those were expensive too, but at least have a warranty. Oh I replaced those with some Brembo blanks, wasn't going to chance the Decelerotors again and tossed those on ebay.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Please read this sticky:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....91&postcount=5
Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Teching In

ok so I read some links and found some very good info. I'm liking the ws6store.com deal 4 rotors crossdrilled/slotted for 170. Heard lots of good things about it.

Let me revise what I'm saying/asking.

My car is a v6 daily driver. I'm sticking with the Hawk HPS pads and have heard renewing the brake fluid is a good idea so I will do that too.

I don't abuse my car, I have never taken it to the track, and I don't drive over 75mph.

I want the rotors for looks only.

I'm thinking of staying with cross drilled only..the slots seem to wear down the pads too fast, and I don't want to replace these pads more than necessary.

What is the difference in the Ebay rotors and the WS6store cross drilled/slotted rotors?

If I am daily driving, not abusing, not racing, not going to the track..will cross drilled or slotted rotors warp as most have said they will do?

Again I really am going for looks only...but I don't want to waste my money
Old 10-22-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by v8juice
"Never argue with an idiot. He will lower you to his level and beat you with experience"

I wonder why companies like Porsche and such put failure ridden cross drilled and slotted rotors on their production vehicles??
Here's some more stuff including info on porsche http://www.iwsti.com/forums/braking/...ed-rotors.html
Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

i would not suggest going with the shitty ebay ones.. mine looked awesome when i first got them for my 96.. after a year.. this is what they looked like.. pretty corroded
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...r513/ccxxc.jpg
Old 10-23-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by v8juice

I don't.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Launching!

I was quoting bayer-z28...dont know why it said me,his sig has since been modified
Old 10-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Launching!

I would never buy an integral piece of safety equipment off of EBay.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

You will probably be fine with the Rotoworks WS6 rotors. I've seen a lot of good reviews from people from here and only a few bad ones. You should be fine with your normal daily driving.

I wouldn't get the ebay ones.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luder[PAK9]
I would never buy an integral piece of safety equipment off of EBay.
a comment like that in this context is somewhat extreme.
does that mean you should only by brakes from your dealer, like the dealer is all that trustworthy and uses the best parts?
The rotor topic gets blown way out of proportion, slotted or drilled rotors are not failure ridden. I love how on a regular blank rotor they can be scored but nobody says they've failed, but on a drilled rotor a few small cracks around the holes and everybody concludes they have failed (yet they still work). There will always be some number of people who will destroy any part whether it's off ebay or its oem by porsche or ferrari.

for normal driving ebay rotors will be fine. Most brake problems result from improper installation like not checking calipers for good operation and wheel hub runout, or some yahoo thinking he's got to bed his brakes so he does 10 hard stops and cooks the rotors and pads.

I have 4 rotors drilled/slotted/zinc'd from ebay on my 2002 ss. Have maybe 5k miles on them, they've been on the car since May. They are fine. I went with rotex kevlar pads from brakeworld. I got my rotors for $186 shipped to my door! if you like I can email you a list of ebay stores selling camaro rotors, or just search on 02 2002 camaro rotor. other than ebay ws6store is the best deal that i've found. there is probably no difference in ws6store rotors than half of them on ebay, they are all coming from the same place.

under normal usage, slotted rotors won't wear down your pads more to any significant degree nor will they warp. Get rotors that are zinc coated, they will keep the hubs from rusting and turning orange if you are concerned about looks. What will warp the rotors if you use an aggressive race type pad.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

If not... Ill supply you with one: https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?do=process >> Enter "crossdrilled slotted" into the key word search and select the "Suspension and Brake" forum.

Cast in, shamfering the hole, cryo'd unobtainium. Will still crack... even in light street use. Its not a question of "If"... it is a question of "When" they will crack.

Does anyone remember the infamous Altimas.net thread ?? Or it bleeding over onto the Cornercarvers.net forum and what was made of it then ?? There was more information about the design, the manufacturing of, the complexity in engineering and theory than at any other time in history... about this very subject.

Bottom line... you want bling. Do it. You want performance and durability, dont.

Quick Reply: Cross drilled/slotted rotors?