Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cut stock springs for a 2" drop on C6 19's.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chrismorales75
Cutting springs isn't a big deal, the spring rate will be slightly stiffer, it's a cheap alternative to spending a **** load of money to buy new springs that will ride the same.

If cutting stock springs gave you the same ride as after market ones (ones made with a good rate for the drop they give) then no one would be buying after market springs...
Old 10-26-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

come on guys cutting the springs are not that big a deal and i know i'm gonna get burned for this but i'm had several s10s with cut springs and what not and never blew my shocks and y spend a hundred dollors on a new panhard when he can make his work y throw money at it. hell i just mad a new panhard for mine. personally i think its cooler that he modified his own than just buy'n a new one. and i dnt know about u but free is beter than anything
Old 10-26-2007, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Im a little lost here... You spent a wad of money buying nice new C6 wheels and tires, but you cut your springs and your PHB then welded it back together? You can buy an adjustable PHB (MUCH stronger than the stock one) for around $100 new... Oh well, in about a week or two the stock shocks will be blown out, and its not going to be a very comfortable ride...
The wheels and tires were free, as were the cutting of the springs and modding the PHB.
This car's porpuse is to look nice while it takes me to school and work (and maybe for me to get on it every once in a while). I won't be road racing it so super stiff springs and a bad *** PHB are not needed. And my shocks will last a VERY long time. People need to stop exagerating **** its getting pretty rediculous. These springs are a far more comfortable ride than any aftermarket springs that lower the car even close to this much. And maybe, just maybe if i lived on a ranch or somewhere without roads and my shocks kept bottoming out every other bump, they would blow out prematurely. But i don't live on a ranch. And i have yet to feel my suspension bottom out. I'm sure it will sooner or later if i don't see a huge pothole or speed bump in the road or something but that is not a daily, weekly or hell even a monthly thing. I pay attention to how and where i drive.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
The wheels and tires were free, as were the cutting of the springs and modding the PHB.
You stated they cost $165 per tire, and $179 per wheel. Thats a total of $1376, did you not pay for it yourself or what?
Either way dropping 1+ grand in tires and wheels, but cutting and modding your stock suspension is like getting a $10,000 custom paint job over a rusted car that was not prepped correctly.
This car's porpuse is to look nice while it takes me to school and work (and maybe for me to get on it every once in a while). I won't be road racing it so super stiff springs and a bad *** PHB are not needed.
Im not trying to argue with you here but man... Its not about having "super stiff springs and a bad *** phb", its about having springs that were made for the drop they give (so you have a good ride, and don't bottom out your suspension) and a phb that can hold the rear end in place.
And my shocks will last a VERY long time. People need to stop exagerating **** its getting pretty rediculous.
Stock shocks on stock springs don't last very long, your car is lowered 2", with much heavier wheels/tires on, that puts A LOT of stress on the shocks which have enough trouble keeping the stock suspension under control.

These springs are a far more comfortable ride than any after market springs that lower the car even close to this much.
Again, come talk after you've been in a car with proper springs and shocks. I've been in a car with cut springs, it was like riding in a bouncy tank.
And maybe, just maybe if i lived on a ranch or somewhere without roads and my shocks kept bottoming out every other bump, they would blow out prematurely. But i don't live on a ranch. And i have yet to feel my suspension bottom out. I'm sure it will sooner or later if i don't see a huge pothole or speed bump in the road or something but that is not a daily, weekly or hell even a monthly thing. I pay attention to how and where i drive.
Being 2" lower on soft springs, its not going to take too much for you to be hitting bump stops, or bottoming out...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It makes me laugh when people talk crap about cutting springs.... Sure, it is the cheap way out... but it sure is fun

This is my truck...lowered around 6" in the front. Only cut springs.

Of course this is more of an extreme drop than 2" on an F-body. But the ride isn't THAT bad. Right now it is on stock shocks...so new shocks and it should ride pretty good.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

As far as the whels and tires, i sold the 17's i had on the car for $400. Bought a set of chrome C6 wheels and then sold them a week later for a $300 profit, sold the LG springs that came on the car for $200 installed and sold all the cats i had collecting dirt in my backyard for $700.
For a total of $1600. These wheels were $1500 shipped mounted and balanced.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good man. There's nothing wrong with cutting springs, just when you heat them to lower the car, thats when you **** up.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Junkie

This car's porpuse is to look nice while it takes me to school and work (and maybe for me to get on it every once in a while). I won't be road racing it so super stiff springs and a bad *** PHB are not needed. And my shocks will last a VERY long time. People need to stop exagerating **** its getting pretty rediculous. These springs are a far more comfortable ride than any aftermarket springs that lower the car even close to this much. And maybe, just maybe if i lived on a ranch or somewhere without roads and my shocks kept bottoming out every other bump, they would blow out prematurely. But i don't live on a ranch. And i have yet to feel my suspension bottom out. I'm sure it will sooner or later if i don't see a huge pothole or speed bump in the road or something but that is not a daily, weekly or hell even a monthly thing. I pay attention to how and where i drive.
The only thing that really matters is you are satisfied with your setup. I strongly believe in the having good shocks but thats my decision to make on my own car. Don't listen to the critics who try to tell you you are wrong for being satisfied with your setup.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go and test its limits; I want to see real world, real people results
for whether it binds, bumps the stops, etc. rather than a bunch
of thirdhand. Too many catalog shoppers and not enough shade
tree action, keeps things expensive for everybody.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm no expert on suspentions, but I thought cutting stock springs was common before after market suspention parts were widely availible for our cars.

Anyway, I like to give our sponsors business anytime I can, but you have to evaluate the "cheapie" cut spring swap objectively.

Assuming safety is not an issue with this mod, what is the worst that could happen? You could end up with a ride that you don't like or you could have rubs or scraps.

So in that event, you have lost the cost of a set factory stock springs which can be easily replaced or you buy custom replacement after market springs.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

nice stance
Old 10-29-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

How many of the people knocking cut stock springs have actually tried them? The fact is people bash them because they saw someone else bash them on the internet. Sure, they may not be optimal if you track your car every day--but most of us don't.

I cut mine two years ago and ran them with stock shocks up until this past spring. The ride was near stock quality although occasionally on a monster bump I might bottom out (once every 6 months). The car handled better than stock--which it should. It only cost me a panhard to center the rear. Furthermore it didn't ride like a wagon which is how I'd characterize the two Eibach sprung cars I've ridden in for comparison.

This past winter I was looking for more handling performance and installed Strano springs and Koni shocks. My daily ride stiffened up a bit but was still acceptable. The performance improved as well but it's mostly noticeable out near the limits. If money was an issue at all, I would have stuck with what I had before (best bang for the buck). It was more enjoyable for a daily and I only taste the benefits of the new stuff every once in a while.

FWIW
Old 10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Almost forgot--your car looks great by the way!
Old 10-29-2007, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Chip Foose does it on Overhaulin'! Hahah.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Wow. A lot of ignorance in this thread. Iv been on cut stock springs and KYB AGX's for about 20k miles and I get compliments on how well my car rides and handles all the time. Iv even gotten it from other f-body owners.

Torching springs is bad, cutting a coil off does no harm.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

im with yah ive done it its free why not try it if yur doin it.... drives the same i bet
Old 12-08-2007, 01:49 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Wow. A lot of ignorance in this thread. Iv been on cut stock springs and KYB AGX's for about 20k miles and I get compliments on how well my car rides and handles all the time. Iv even gotten it from other f-body owners.

Torching springs is bad, cutting a coil off does no harm.
Really? I bet it doesn't ride better than my SS with Koni SAs and G2 super springs. Thats for sure.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Really? I bet it doesn't ride better than my SS with Koni SAs and G2 super springs. Thats for sure.
Wow. Your $1100 suspension set up rides better than his $360 suspension set up. Who woulda thunk.
FYI guy my car still rides great. i have bottomed out the shocks a couple times once going thru a construction zone too fast and once on a bump i didn't see. So much fpor the guy who said i would blow my socks out in two weeks.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:22 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Wow...

You sure caught alot of hell for doing something to YOUR car that YOU enjoy and pay the bill on.

Personally I think it went 2 low...But thats just MY taste.

Don't worry about the critics man,most of them are just those internet warriors who would NEVER be that bold in person.

Glad you like the results and clean car man!
Old 12-08-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow. Your $1100 suspension set up rides better than his $360 suspension set up. Who woulda thunk.
FYI guy my car still rides great. i have bottomed out the shocks a couple times once going thru a construction zone too fast and once on a bump i didn't see. So much fpor the guy who said i would blow my socks out in two weeks.
Uhh, you kinda just ate your own words there buddy...

Quick Reply: Cut stock springs for a 2" drop on C6 19's.