Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install

Took about 7 hours but it is done. The most time consuming part was getting the motor mounts installed. A big thanks to my friends Chris for the use of his facilities and experience, Jason for having nothing else better to do on a SAT, and Mike for helping in finishing the project off. For those that use jack stands to accomplish this I don't know how you do it.

UMI K-member w/ upper and lower A-arms
QA1 Generation F front and rear shocks with 300lb springs
Prothane motor mounts
Attached Thumbnails K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-motor-brace.jpg   K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-driver-s-side-wheel-well-before.jpg   K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-old-k-member-before-removal.jpg   K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-k-member-jack-stands.jpg  

Last edited by ssgunny; 10-27-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

K-member removed and compared.
Attached Thumbnails K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-k-member-jack-stands.jpg   K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-k-memberless-front-passenger-side-view.jpg   K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-k-memberless-passenger-side-view.jpg   K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-old-new-k-member-2.jpg  
Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Motor mounts and Shocks.
Attached Thumbnails K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-motor-mount-dismantling.jpg   K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-removing-left-over-rubber-motor-mount.jpg   K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-left-front-shock-spring-upper-arm.jpg  
Old 10-27-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

K-member installed.
Attached Thumbnails K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-k-member-installed.jpg   K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-left-front-shock-spring-upper-lower-arm-installed.jpg   K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-front-finished.jpg  
Old 10-27-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rear shocks installed.
Attached Thumbnails K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-left-rear-shock-installed.jpg   K-member, Motor Mounts and Shock Install-right-rear-shock-installed.jpg  
Old 10-28-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does it ride now and how is it on turns? Does the car seem much lighter? How much power you got? I've heard people change the k-member for 1/4 run and i think i've read where with enough power you can lift the front end cause the front end is lighter? Great job!
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98boxer
How does it ride now and how is it on turns? Does the car seem much lighter? How much power you got? I've heard people change the k-member for 1/4 run and i think i've read where with enough power you can lift the front end cause the front end is lighter? Great job!

He has yet to drive the car, it's still sitting at my house in the garage on the lift. We wrapped it up late then ate (Thanks for the wings John!!!). Need to get an alignment done on it before he drives around.

The K member really opens up everything under the car if you have to work on the engine, headers are stupid easy to install with this setup. When we do the headers it will be a quick install vice trying to fight getting the old stuff out and the new in.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98boxer
Chris is correct, the car is still parked. Some adusting still has to be done for the ride height in the front also. I will go schedule an appointment to have someone reputable do the alignment.

The main reason I did the K-member is for a future header install. As you can see by some of the pictures she was pretty much stock so there is no big HP here yet. Weight is not my main issue since I still have AC in the car and plan to keep it. As you can see though there is some serious weight that has been shed do to the swap.

I picked this setup because the car is geared more towards straight line perfomance. This is not to say that the car won't ride better in the corners over the stock setup. This car is not a daily driver but I still wanted drivability on the street also.

After getting some suggestions on what to do first I was looking at a lot of money to do what has been done. The parts were not cheap but it sure pays to have good friends that know what they are doing to avoid the labor costs.

As soon as the alignment and ride height issues are worked out I will post up the progress.

Last edited by ssgunny; 10-28-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good Chris
Old 10-28-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

niceee.will be doing that next and of course it will be on a lift.goin with the double tube umi k member also.nice piece.

Last edited by 35th SS; 10-28-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Looks good Chris
It's John's car, my garage. Nice parts, If I hadn't already done this mod a couple of years ago I wouldn't hesitate using your parts.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 35th SS
niceee.will be doing that next and of course it will be on a lift.goin with the double tube umi k member also.nice piece.
So I guess you got the road race version of the UMI K-member? I see that it has some extra bracing on it.

Be prepared to remove/loosen a lot of crap to get this done. The alternator, starter, brake system components under the hood and oil dip stick all needed attention (I think I got it all). Oh and don't forget the ratchet strap to convince the K-member it needs to be in certain position to get that bolt in.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I1ULUZ
It's John's car, my garage. Nice parts, If I hadn't already done this mod a couple of years ago I wouldn't hesitate using your parts.
I can be Chris for a day so that I can take the Formula for a spin.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ssgunny
I can be Chris for a day so that I can take the Formula for a spin.
Does that mean I get to play on the Busa???

I think with a few keystrokes I can make the Formula John "proof", redline at 2500, that will still let you feel over 400 lb/ft TQ for a nanosecond.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

The dip stick was the biggest pain in the butt.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I1ULUZ
Does that mean I get to play on the Busa???

I think with a few keystrokes I can make the Formula John "proof", redline at 2500, that will still let you feel over 400 lb/ft TQ for a nanosecond.
You on the bike? You would be really fast then.

400 is still more TQ than my Slomaro.

Originally Posted by WS600rr
That K-member install is something i've always wanted to do, good job!
K-member would have been something I would have never contimplated because of the labor cost let alone trying to do it myself.

Last edited by ssgunny; 10-29-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDM74
The dip stick was the biggest pain in the butt.
That is because Chris was supervising that operation.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ssgunny
That is because Chris was supervising that operation.

FOR SALE: 2002 SLOMAROW, LESS THAN 10K miles, NEW K MEMBER, UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS, QA1 SHOCKS FRONT and REAR, POLY MOTOR MOUNTS, TRANS MOUNT JUST INSTALLED!!! Needs an alignment. CHEAP!!!

What were you saying about my supervisory skillz?

What do you mean it's not in the garage, that is the last place I saw it

By the way who's butt was up on the ladder putting it in? Army supervising is different than Navy.

Oh yea I'm back from my little day trip. Got some purty silver things now, if only I had space on the lift
Old 10-29-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

John I've got some interesting offers. Almost up to $500 Oh yea I think Popo might want to talk to you about your late nite driving habits