Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

TCS OFF and ABS INOP won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCS OFF and ABS INOP won't turn off

as i'm driving my 02 camaro on the road these lites come on until the next start up. then this weekend i jacked up the car and sprayed electric cleaner on the ABS conections. while the car was still up on the jackstands i started it up and put it into gear to see if anything would happen. nothing did until i lowered the car back on all four wheels. started it up then these lites came on again. i even pulled the fuse and disconnected the battery hopeing to reset the lites. nothing... whats going on...

thanks,
nick
Old 12-03-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Make sure your third brake light isn't burned out. That can cause the ABS to stop working.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Next to the fuse box underneath the hood, check the ground wire b/c it might be loose. My lights popped on one night and I was checking things and my wire was disconnected. Tightened that back up and it went away.. That's my guess
Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mojave
Make sure your third brake light isn't burned out. That can cause the ABS to stop working.
good ole american muscle... canadian built and electrical done by the brits...
Old 12-04-2007, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

same thing happened to me, my electronic brake control module blew out, gm wants $980for a new one, i found one at a junkyard for $45... a gm tech 2 scanner will individually diagnose each wheels sensor and the control module. tha's how i found out on mine
Old 12-05-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
good ole american muscle... canadian built and electrical done by the brits...

That 3rd brake light and ABS being connected just does not make sense to me.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To SparkyJJO- you'd be surprise to find out whats wire with what. Some cars have their cruise control wired with the horn. Figure that out. In class we couldn't get a 97 z-28 to start. We couldn't pull codes either. After finding the diagnostic port fuse was blown (cigar lighter and aux power point too.) it started right up after the correct fuse was put in.

To atxz/28maro- Uh, most of us do not have access to G.M.'s several thousand dollar manufacturer specific scan tools. A simple, decent obdII scanner can pull the codes out.

I had this exact problem only interment. After testing the harness by back probing found I had a broken wire. $65 dollars for the harness. You have to replace both sides(rear) at the same time due to how the harness is made. Took like 15 mins total. If you have a way of getting the impedance specs for the sensors you can test them like I did. Alldata is a good source for things like that. Its one of the databases we use at Wyotech. You can pay to get all the info on your particular car from them online. They will tell you how to test the sensors and the harness. Way cheaper than buying a abs module.

Just throwing parts at it would not fix your problem though. Thing is, the ABS & TCS system is seperate system from the PCM and uses wheel sensors to do its job. A bad sensor, harness or brake modulator. Won't know till the codes are posted though.

Last edited by ws6gluemaker; 12-19-2007 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may have nothing to do with it since you didn't mention line lock, but my ABS INOP and ACS OFF lights come on sometimes when I flip the line lock on and do a burnout. Sometimes they'll stay on like that for only a minute or two, then turn off, sometimes they'll stay on for half an hour or until I turn the car off and back on. Once in a while, they even stay on after a restart, but they've always turned themselves off eventually, whether it took 5 minutes or 2 hours.

Maybe 50% of the time, they don't do it at all when I use the line lock, but a good deal of the time it happens. It happened the first time I used the line lock and I thought I broke something, because they didn't turn off even after an hour of driving/sitting and came on when I started the car again, but 5 minutes later they were off. Not sure if this helps, but thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: TCS OFF and ABS INOP won't turn off