Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard Bar

Old 12-07-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Panhard Bar

My fiance wants to get me something for the TA for Christmas and the only thing that would fit our christmas spending amount would be for her to get me a panhard bar.

The question is..... I havent lowered the car yet and put new wheels on that I plan on doing in maybe a year. Should I have her order me a regular panhard bar or the adjustable panhard bar. Remember I am running on stock WS6 ride heighth. I am gradually upgrading the underside of the ta and thought this would be an easy inexpensive mod.

Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 12-07-2007, 11:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Seems pretty clear to me that you'd want an adjustable one, unless of course you want to have to change it again later.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will probably get no other answers, because the first one says it all. A non-adjustable panhard rod is practically useless.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

get a double adjustable if you want it to be easy, you can adjust these on the car.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would look into the "on car" adjustable panhard bar from UMI.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

ON CAR Double Adj. Here too! Might as well do it right the first time, just like Strano said!
Old 12-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Get an Adjustable one
Old 12-08-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you make constant changes, the single adjustable is fine. Once you get it correct, you do not have to make any changes to the length.
I use the poly/rod combo from UMI, with no problems.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, thanks for all the responses. I see that alot of you guys are liking UMI, are the BMR's good or should I just go UMI. What are the differences between the single and double??? Any deals for these from any of the sponsers??
Old 12-08-2007, 10:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're interested in double adjustable click here> www.sjmmanufacturing.com/deals.html
Old 12-09-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
If you're interested in double adjustable click here> www.sjmmanufacturing.com/deals.html
wow good deal, how do these compare quality wise versus UMI?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMmexican
wow good deal, how do these compare quality wise versus UMI?
Good question??!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:43 AM
FormerVendor

These suspension components are not complicated pieces. I sometimes wonder why there is so much discussion on a very basic piece. There is very little to alter regarding design considering one manufacture to the next. Probably the most noticable difference is what rod ends the company is using. Considering just about everyone is using QA1 high-ended teflon lined rod ends...little differences will be seen.

Our welding process is tig sequenced and pulsed. Materials are 4130 chromoly 1.25" OD tubing w/.095 wall using 4130 tube adapters and QA1 high-end XM series rod ends. I believe if you made a comparison, you'll find many companies are using the same materials we use.

Our kits differ from some manufactures setups as we INLCUDE upgraded 1/2" bolt kits on our suspension pieces. QA1 does not produce rod ends with metric measurements. Many companies are necking down their rod ends with a piece of aluminum tube with OD and ID measurements in English units. Then they are using a bronze or oil-lite bushing to further neck down the sizing which is also in English units. If you use a bushing that has a final measurement in English units and consider using a stock metric bolt, increased noise will be a result.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
These suspension components are not complicated pieces. I sometimes wonder why there is so much discussion on a very basic piece. There is very little to alter regarding design considering one manufacture to the next. Probably the most noticable difference is what rod ends the company is using. Considering just about everyone is using QA1 high-ended teflon lined rod ends...little differences will be seen.

Our welding process is tig sequenced and pulsed. Materials are 4130 chromoly 1.25" OD tubing w/.095 wall using 4130 tube adapters and QA1 high-end XM series rod ends. I believe if you made a comparison, you'll find many companies are using the same materials we use.

Our kits differ from some manufactures setups as we INLCUDE upgraded 1/2" bolt kits on our suspension pieces. QA1 does not produce rod ends with metric measurements. Many companies are necking down their rod ends with a piece of aluminum tube with OD and ID measurements in English units. Then they are using a bronze or oil-lite bushing to further neck down the sizing which is also in English units. If you use a bushing that has a final measurement in English units and consider using a stock metric bolt, increased noise will be a result.
both your pan hard bar and lower control arms are double adjustable?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:49 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GMmexican
both your pan hard bar and lower control arms are double adjustable?
Yes, both double adjustable with of course a given...on-car adjustability.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got a UMI on-car adjustable from Sam Strano, it was cheaper than the double adjustable. I'm very happy with it. Very easy to install.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a rod/rod adjustable PHB from UMI or any manufacturer of your choice. I went with poly/rod, and wish i had done it right the first time.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^What's your problem with the poly/rod?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

I have an adjustable poly/rod PHB on my car. I like it, but I think that if I get another, I'll make my own and go dual rod end with some really high end rod ends or do the same thing I have with my home-made LCAs. I have the QA1 XMs on my LCAs, but QA1 has sent them to China for manufacture and the quality isn't as reliable as it used to be. My LCAs have rod end on the axle and heavy duty rubber on the body to give a nicer rider but avoid binding associated with polyurathane.

I would say to get one that is adjustable on the car. The term 'double adjustable' is new to me as I've used Spohn pieces. As far as I know, all the adjustable pieces they offer adjust on the car. My PHB does.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reason people get a poly / rod combo is to reduce road noise and impact harshness by putting the poly end on the chassis mounting point. This works alot better with LCAs though and the PHB doesnt make much more noise with a rubber to rodend swap. The double rodend PHBs dont bind as much as the Poly ones and it allows for some more natural movement. The benifits outwigh the road noise IMO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panhard Bar