Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bmr trq arm=pain in the ass!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silas2k
by everyones responses it seems like theyre a hit or miss no matter what company u go with... sorry to hear u had trouble
thats what im begining to understand..o well thats moding i guess
Old 12-18-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

shoulda got the Trak Pac, I put the thing right where it needed to be.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 AM
TECH Resident

I never had huge issues with my BMR TA. In fact it fit better on my Strange 12 bolt than it did on my stock 10 bolts. I was pleasantly suprised.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen three of these BMR torque arms go on, all 2002 LS1s (my Z28, my brother's Z28, and my friends Trans Am). We all have a Moser 12-bolt but I installed differently than they did. We all ran into the problem where if we installed the TA on the outside bolts, it hit the tunnel and banged when driven. They decided to chop off the outside bolts and use the inside bolts, which solved the problem; I decided to let the shop heat up and tap in the tunnel a little bit where it was hitting, and that solved the problem as well.

I guess it's just a question of what you want to modify, the car or the torque arm. The place they tapped in on my car would never be noticed unless you were underneath the car looking for it, and even then you might not be able to tell where it happened. I figured a little tapping on the tunnel wouldn't hurt anything or be noticeable, whereas chopping a section off the torque arm might (although it almost surely won't) sacrifice the integrity of the TA where it bolts on to the rear. Just some more info for you in case you decide to upgrade the rear.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I've seen three of these BMR torque arms go on, all 2002 LS1s (my Z28, my brother's Z28, and my friends Trans Am). We all have a Moser 12-bolt but I installed differently than they did. We all ran into the problem where if we installed the TA on the outside bolts, it hit the tunnel and banged when driven. They decided to chop off the outside bolts and use the inside bolts, which solved the problem; I decided to let the shop heat up and tap in the tunnel a little bit where it was hitting, and that solved the problem as well.

I guess it's just a question of what you want to modify, the car or the torque arm. The place they tapped in on my car would never be noticed unless you were underneath the car looking for it, and even then you might not be able to tell where it happened. I figured a little tapping on the tunnel wouldn't hurt anything or be noticeable, whereas chopping a section off the torque arm might (although it almost surely won't) sacrifice the integrity of the TA where it bolts on to the rear. Just some more info for you in case you decide to upgrade the rear.
yeah same thing happened here but on a stock 10bolt.. the guy doin the work has a 12bolt and this ta and he said that i could look at the bright side, if i get a 12bolt its allready modified to fit it haha
Old 12-20-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slimcracka
yeah same thing happened here but on a stock 10bolt.. the guy doin the work has a 12bolt and this ta and he said that i could look at the bright side, if i get a 12bolt its allready modified to fit it haha
Haha, exactly. You just have to keep an eye on the four rear bolts if you go with a Moser 12-bolt because of the non-through design. A bunch of strong locktite seems to work pretty well, but you still have to check every once in a while.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

DEE DEE DEE you should of got a UMI one no problems and cheeper
Old 12-20-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
DEE DEE DEE you should of got a UMI one no problems and cheeper

Originally Posted by 99zman
i had the same issue with my UMI TQ arm, it was pressed aginst the tunnel with the car on a lift, had to bang the tunnel and do **** to make it fit and all it did was cause alot of vibration and put a hole in my floor, back to a new stocker and couldnt be happier..

Originally Posted by slimcracka
and as far as the umi thing goes they have one on the show room wall, so they went and got it and sat if next to the bmr piece and it was almost exactly the same except for the logo part and it felt like the umi was a lil heavier..

and for your info i got it from a sponsor on here for $309 shipped so go fish
Old 12-20-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

sweet
Old 12-23-2007, 02:03 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go fish? LOL.
mine used to bang and rattle too. spohn tq arm/moser 9'.
nice dent in the car where i modded it.
bout the same mods i did to my atv clutch sasser. WHAM. WHAM. fits like a glove.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
This is why modding your car is such a pain. Every aftermarket part, no matter how well engineered, is going to be met with factory tolerances. On these cars, you never know how a part is going to fit. Doesn't mean the part is crap, or the company is incompitant. And I don't see how going with a BMR part is going to net you any more cash if/when you sell the part. Both companies make outstanding products, and their parts are nearly identical.

Thats right is called Modification for a reason . Not all cars are going to be easy to stall a bolt on. IT takes TIME and Alot Patience
Old 12-26-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TJ
go fish? LOL.
mine used to bang and rattle too. spohn tq arm/moser 9'.
nice dent in the car where i modded it.
bout the same mods i did to my atv clutch sasser. WHAM. WHAM. fits like a glove.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

I finnally got minie lined out. Everything is working perfect now. The banging i was hearing was my y pipe which came loose at the header and the driveshaft balancer weight hitting the DS loop bar was because the crossmember was adjusted too far to the passanger side. Now everything is working perfect, Just became too fustrated with it when we installed it along with the 9" A+ for UMI
Old 12-28-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds good man!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

What did you need a aftermarket torque arm for on a lowrider anyway?
Whats next front back side to side air bags on all 4 corners.

That thing wont ever see any track time HA HA HA!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

mine fits fine. It didnt at first but a buddy put it on upside down. After that no issues.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:43 AM
11 Second Club

u put a torque arm in upside down....
Old 12-31-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2000 SS with BMR torque arm and relocation bracket, went right in, easy job, no clearance issues. Friend has the same setup and had problems, found out the rear wasn't centered up, installed a adj PHB to center it up and no problems after that.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:30 AM
9 Second Club

lowering the car brings the rear closer to the tunnel and can cause fitment probs. lowering a car has its compromises but is worth it once you work out the kinks. BMR makes top notch stuff and Lee @ BMR is a car nut just like us with awesome support/warranty. Ohio Boys running 7s on BMR stuff.....you made the right choice
Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
I finnally got minie lined out. Everything is working perfect now. The banging i was hearing was my y pipe which came loose at the header and the driveshaft balancer weight hitting the DS loop bar was because the crossmember was adjusted too far to the passanger side. Now everything is working perfect, Just became too fustrated with it when we installed it along with the 9" A+ for UMI
This scares me about getting a TA now I have the umi relocation bracket and I get vibration now with the stock TA. With the umi relocation bracket I dont see where you could even get it off to one side cause the holes on the driver side are not adjustable. Anyway I hoped to get one and adjust the pinion angle and maybe fix some vibration.

Quick Reply: bmr trq arm=pain in the ass!