Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bmr trq arm=pain in the ass!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bmr trq arm=pain in the ***!

ok i ordered a ta001 for my car, it got here fast and everything was great.i was goin to try to do it in the driveway but said the hell with it and i set it up to get installed today at a local shop (xxx motorsports). well let my tell ya it was a pain every step of the way..

on the outer bolt holes it hit the tunnel all the way down..ok so we do it on the other holes...well the inner brace that goes from top to bottom hit the yoke and the top\back outside hole hit the rearend housing..well after 3 hours of cuttin and fittin its on...

i thought the was a well engineered product, the whole reason i went with brm over umi was that if i decided to sell it later, it would be easier to sale..well now that its chopped up im sure no one is goin to want it..even me!

one of the shop owners was there and he has the same ta on his car and he said that when his car had the stock 10bolt (like mine) his went in without a problem...

i know in the hotrod buisness shyt isnt goin to always work out. but damn a simple ta..and even on the front where it bolts to the trany is close to the tunnel...so close that if i was to buy a trans. crossmember relocator it would be all over the body then...i just dont get it.

just a lil dissapointed thats all
Old 12-13-2007, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

I went with the UMI tunnel T/A had some problems installing it, but it eventually cooperated with me without modifiying the arm. Although i did have to lower the crossmember down so the DS loop wasnt hitting my driveshaft...which unfortunately lowered it onto my y-pipe, but i just stuck some padding between them and said fack it... I feel your pain
Old 12-13-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

well at least im not alone with these types of things..it seems that anytime i try to do something, it screws up..nothing ever goes to plan..about to say fack it as well..
Old 12-13-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the way shat is....my caltracs...supposed to bolt on...ask him about the 8 hours it took us, to cut, cut, and cut, to make shat fit...their on for good now!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by slimcracka
ok i ordered a ta001 for my car, it got here fast and everything was great.i was goin to try to do it in the driveway but said the hell with it and i set it up to get installed today at a local shop (xxx motorsports). well let my tell ya it was a pain every step of the way..

on the outer bolt holes it hit the tunnel all the way down..ok so we do it on the other holes...well the inner brace that goes from top to bottom hit the yoke and the top\back outside hole hit the rearend housing..well after 3 hours of cuttin and fittin its on...

i thought the was a well engineered product, the whole reason i went with brm over umi was that if i decided to sell it later, it would be easier to sale..well now that its chopped up im sure no one is goin to want it..even me!

one of the shop owners was there and he has the same ta on his car and he said that when his car had the stock 10bolt (like mine) his went in without a problem...

i know in the hotrod buisness shyt isnt goin to always work out. but damn a simple ta..and even on the front where it bolts to the trany is close to the tunnel...so close that if i was to buy a trans. crossmember relocator it would be all over the body then...i just dont get it.

WOW!! maybe should of gave me a call before modifying the torque arm. I can help you diagnose the problems before the temper starts to flair.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 12-14-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
WOW!! maybe should of gave me a call before modifying the torque arm. I can help you diagnose the problems before the temper starts to flair.
it was past 6pm when the problems started..what could of been the porblem and how would you of made it better...

this was the only free time i had for the next month so we made it work..

i just figured for a basically stock susp. with the exception of DMS springs and LCAs, LCA relocation brackets and a adj. PHB it should of fit fine...
Old 12-16-2007, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

maybe you should stick to your lowriders haha
Old 12-16-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

That sucks that you had problems. I've been there before.

But I installed the BMR adj. TQ Arm on my Z/28 with just me and a friend on jack stands and it took about an hour. I was very pleased with the results and the ease of install.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should have gone with UMI...

This is why modding your car is such a pain. Every aftermarket part, no matter how well engineered, is going to be met with factory tolerances. On these cars, you never know how a part is going to fit. Doesn't mean the part is crap, or the company is incompitant. And I don't see how going with a BMR part is going to net you any more cash if/when you sell the part. Both companies make outstanding products, and their parts are nearly identical.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

i have the TA001 in my car. absolutely zero clearance issues using the outer holes for the factory 10 bolt. for it to hit the tunnel, the rear would have to be off center to the left from being lowered while up in the air. due to the extreme angle of the rear to trans, it isn't easy installing it.

to me, it sounds like you guys put the front of the arm in the mount, then tried to slide it onto the rear. i could be wrong.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

..and even on the front where it bolts to the trany is close to the tunnel...so close that if i was to buy a trans. crossmember relocator it would be all over the body then...i just dont get it.

hmm....that makes me wonder if thats where my godawful vibration is coming from.

The fight with my adj. TA almost makes me wanna go back to stock.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1badzo
maybe you should stick to your lowriders haha
Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrr23
i have the TA001 in my car. absolutely zero clearance issues using the outer holes for the factory 10 bolt. for it to hit the tunnel, the rear would have to be off center to the left from being lowered while up in the air. due to the extreme angle of the rear to trans, it isn't easy installing it.

to me, it sounds like you guys put the front of the arm in the mount, then tried to slide it onto the rear. i could be wrong.
i have an adjustably phb and the rearend is perfectly centered in the car..took me a while adjusting it on my back.. and they installed it on a lift thats infront of a dynojet..(lifts from the wheels) and im not following you on the last part, this shop has done alot of f-body parts (kinda specializes in them) so im sure they know what there doin.. and as far as the umi thing goes they have one on the show room wall, so they went and got it and sat if next to the bmr piece and it was almost exactly the same except for the logo part and it felt like the umi was a lil heavier.. but the reason i bought the bmr was that i thought it would of been easier to move..ie. sale it faster. o well i guess if i sell it someone with a 12bolt wont have to mod it to fit now haha.

thanx guys i know when buyin stuff aftermarket it isnt allways goin to fit. it just seems that everytime i do something to my car it happenes to "not fit just right"
Old 12-16-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Dang. My Edelbrock adjustable isn't as beefy but it fits like a glove. Sorry to hear.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

i have an adjustably phb and the rearend is perfectly centered in the car..took me a while adjusting it on my back.. and they installed it on a lift thats infront of a dynojet..(lifts from the wheels) and im not following you on the last part,
i meant when they went to put the TA in, they should have mounted it to the rear first, then slide it into the front mount.

can you take a pic of it to show us?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all of my UMI stuff went on perfect and lemme tell ya, ive got the whole damn catologe under my car...UMI ***
Old 12-17-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrr23
i meant when they went to put the TA in, they should have mounted it to the rear first, then slide it into the front mount.

can you take a pic of it to show us?
o yeah they installed it on the rearend first then installed the mount..its way to tight under there to do it the other way IMO..but ill try to get some pics when i get some time
Old 12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same issue with my UMI TQ arm, it was pressed aginst the tunnel with the car on a lift, had to bang the tunnel and do **** to make it fit and all it did was cause alot of vibration and put a hole in my floor, back to a new stocker and couldnt be happier..
Old 12-18-2007, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

I have the BMR TA, went in in 15 min. No problems, BMR makes good ****.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

by everyones responses it seems like theyre a hit or miss no matter what company u go with... sorry to hear u had trouble

Quick Reply: bmr trq arm=pain in the ass!