Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment needed after shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment needed after shocks?

Just some simple questions that kind of morph into one entire one.

My suspension is 100 percent stock (besides after-market wheels/tires.)

The two things I want to do to it are Koni SA'a and Strano anti sway bars all around. I do not want to lower my car. However, I notice the rear end seems to sit a bit lower stock than the front. Or rather, the set up is even, but there is more fender space in the front.

I heard on the Koni's you can install the springs on a lower or upper perch, and I was wondering if doing so (.5 to .75inch drop?) if having a slightly raked car ruins overall handling.

Also, I'm assuming I need to get an alignment if I use the lower perch. Also, if I just use the stock height and use the upper perch up front do I need to get the car re aligned since, in the process of installation, part of the front suspension is removed/disassembled?

Thanks guys and gals.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

And here is a pic of her...

Old 12-15-2007, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I'll just wait for Strano's 2 cents on this topic I guess Haha
Old 12-15-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go ahead and get an alignment...i did on my car anyway, but i have that lifetime alignment from firestone....but that is just my .02
Old 12-15-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is that even after just replacing the shocks (and using the upper perch) for stock ride height?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or maybe not. lol.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most of the time its aid to be a good idea, but I have had changed out on different cars and it just depends on the install you can drive it little bit and carefully check wear patters using a treaddepth gauge to make sure if your tight on funds.

Using the hose mod and lower perch, is not going to hurt handling being raked, its lowering the center of gravity with proper damping and not changing the angle of anything drastically.

Great set up thats what i'm runnin enjoy!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

changing the shocks only and keeping the stock height does not require an alignment.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrr23
changing the shocks only and keeping the stock height does not require an alignment.
although it could still use it if it's never had an alignment before....a '99 year model car is 9 years old already. i'd get the alignment anyway. in fact, i just did, and it only cost me $40 for the front.

but if you intend to drop it using the lower perch, i'd wait to ge the alignment until you do that....no sense in having to do it twice
Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it at the ride hight it is at and not use the lower perch. I guess I wont get an alignment right away but may down the road for peace of mind and if I get a decent price. she drives straight as an arrow, but as we know, that doesn't mean much.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran that set up (Strano sways and Koni drop) and loved the way it handled. the rake is enough to notice and i can't imagine that it would change the capabilities of the car. you coud always drop the rear too and get a more even stance. And yes, you should get an alignment after you lower it.

the rake from the konis is in my sig by the way if you want to see the drop. Its an older pic.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
I ran that set up (Strano sways and Koni drop) and loved the way it handled. the rake is enough to notice and i can't imagine that it would change the capabilities of the car. you coud always drop the rear too and get a more even stance. And yes, you should get an alignment after you lower it.

the rake from the konis is in my sig by the way if you want to see the drop. Its an older pic.
That looks really good. When you say Strano sways and Koni "drop" do you mean you just dropped the front via lower perch, or did you get the Strano Springs?

Either way, all I want to do to my DD is get the Konis and Strano Sways. I hear they do good things
Old 12-17-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

You should do a quick google on camber, caster, and toe. Those are settings that you adjust when getting an alignment, and I feel like I benefit a lot more after knowing what exactly those 3 are.

Basically if you lower your car, camber decreases, which is good for handling (increase neg camber). I also believe toe changes slightly, but can't be sure how much or which way it goes. The front suspension is designed in a way such that under suspension travel your wheel angle changes increasing negative camber under compression and decreasing when unloaded.

After that, you might understand what you personally want for your alignment a lot more. Consider if you favor tire wear, daily driveability, and handling and you will come up with your own preferred setup.

Quick Reply: Alignment needed after shocks?