Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano springs, suspension and tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

[QUOTE=cjb;8328737]Please tell me more about the strano setup, how it transformed your car. QUOTE]

Hey hpjunky.... The gentleman asked you a question.

Word of mouth is the great advertising.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-19-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIP1
What size are you talking about?
Does that price include mounting?

I paid just under that for mine mounted.
(I think it was $220-$240 each mounted with road-force balance.)

I bought ContiSport2 tires for my brother's 2004 Audi S4 (the same as stock) for about $1100 ($275 each) mounted with road-force balance. They are 18" which tend to cost more anyway. The normal price on those tires is $309 each (not mounted). Compare that to the normal price of GS-D3 which is $250 (also not mounted).

Both of those prices included some haggling though.

BTW, TireRack (a sponsor) does have good prices and sometimes you can get local places to match their price or at least get close. I've done both. I've ordered wheel/tire packages from them and I've gotten local places to get close and sometimes match their prices.

I found the cheapest summer tire that the tire places sell around here and for 275/40R17 170/tire blanced and aligned was about the best I can do and these tires were about half the price of goodyears
Old 12-19-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol fine.

The Strano setup (Konis/Springs/Shocks) that Sam has been so kind as to bring to the F-body community is really the best choice for people who want to carve corners on a budget. The Shocks were my first addition to the car, suspension wise. This turned the car from a boat into a more european ride very similar to my father's 1998 BMW 540i. The body roll and compression was still there, but the car was so much more controlable and predictable.
Next up were the swaybars. I put these in and couldn't get the grin off my face for days. The car responded to every input better and high speed lane changes became incredibly addictive. This was the best setup for a DD, and I autoxed this setup before i installed the springs.
The springs were next on my list of things the car needed, so once again i removed the Koni's, readjusted them off the lower perch to run lowering springs, and installed stano's springs. My car was then fully transformed into a slot car. The car is now SOLID. Turn in response was improved dramaticly and the drop gave the car a whole new appearance. The springs are not soft by any means, but the Konis do a great job of controling them. I have a feeling that on stock rims/tires, this package would be a little overkill, but with some good rubber under the car, I can tell you it's a blast to drive.

Strano Springs/Sways/Konis > any other option (for the price.)
Old 12-19-2007, 02:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I appreciate you taking the time to put your thoughts down on "paper".

Sincerely, thank you.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm not sure the setup is overkill on stock sized tires, if you have decent tires and not some $75 all-season, non performance tire.

I have 245/50-16's on my car as street tires still (and nothing super special either) and it's plenty to make potential customers hang on when I take them on test drives. The tires are most definitely the limiting factor, but you still get big gains. Kind of like having a lot of power. Might not be able to use all of it all the time, but if you can use it some time, most folks like that. And if you do take up better tires, the suspension is there to support it.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have no reason to think that stock sized tires couldn't handle the setup. I was just saying that with the stock tires themselves(Potenzas i think) the setup is limited by the tires alot more than with my GSD3s (Ive had both types of tires on the car with the current setup). Throw on a set of stock sized race slicks on the stock rims and my goodyears would be blown away performance wise.

Regardless this is the best setup out there for the price. I just hope Sam ships internationaly so you can get these parts too.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:13 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Thank´s hpjunkey98 and Sam
This is music to my ears, brings me hope for my -99Z. I can relate to that "boat" feeling. As a first step I was thinking of the springs, konis and good street tires for this season. And then, next year, add the swaybars and maybe some other things. It´s always this money thing you know..Should I go with the swaybars and konis first, as hpjunkey98, and put the springs in as a final step? Or did it just happend to be so in his case?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
I have no reason to think that stock sized tires couldn't handle the setup. I was just saying that with the stock tires themselves(Potenzas i think) the setup is limited by the tires alot more than with my GSD3s (Ive had both types of tires on the car with the current setup). Throw on a set of stock sized race slicks on the stock rims and my goodyears would be blown away performance wise.

Regardless this is the best setup out there for the price. I just hope Sam ships internationaly so you can get these parts too.
I'm with you. Tires are quite literally where the "rubber meets the road". I tell folks all the time if you would have made Michael Jordan play basketball in loafers he wouldn't have been "Michael Jordan". Still good, and would embarass many others, but take his his sticky shoes away (tires in this analogy) and the performance will suffer in ways. Cutting and such, but he can still shoot.

I'll ship overseas. It's not a lot of fun to arrange it, but I will gladly do it!
Old 12-19-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cjb
Thank´s hpjunkey98 and Sam
This is music to my ears, brings me hope for my -99Z. I can relate to that "boat" feeling. As a first step I was thinking of the springs, konis and good street tires for this season. And then, next year, add the swaybars and maybe some other things. It´s always this money thing you know..Should I go with the swaybars and konis first, as hpjunkey98, and put the springs in as a final step? Or did it just happend to be so in his case?

If its your daily driver, and your trying to decide between Konis/Springs and Konis/Sways I would put the Konis and Swaybars on first. This was a very daily driver friendly setup, and with the Koni's lower perch, you can still have a nice rake to the stance of the car(see sig pic taken before springs). Later on, If you want to take the suspension to the next level, I would install the springs.

If your the kind of guy that does all the installations by yourself like me, then you might want to pick up the Koni's and Springs at the same time so you only have to pull the shocks once. Either way you'll have a kickass setup!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I agree completely on both counts. I often tell folks *exactly* that when they are torn between the springs or bars.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Alright Sam!
I would be happy to do business with you and bye the springs. How do we proced? Do I use the shopping cart on your web page for international order? I´m not used to by things from America, shipping cost etc
Old 12-19-2007, 05:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can do that so I know what parts you are looking for and get your address and all. Then I'll have your e-mail address as well, so I can quote you shipping for whatever parts you are looking for.

I will check a few shipping options, but often end up using BAX Global for such things.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:28 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You can do that so I know what parts you are looking for and get your address and all. Then I'll have your e-mail address as well, so I can quote you shipping for whatever parts you are looking for.

I will check a few shipping options, but often end up using BAX Global for such things.
Okey, I´ll place my order first thing tomorrow, now it´s night her so I should get som sleep. Thank´s for beeing so kind and supportive!

CJB/Sweden
Old 12-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
I found the cheapest summer tire that the tire places sell around here and for 275/40R17 170/tire blanced and aligned was about the best I can do and these tires were about half the price of goodyears
Brand? Model? Price?
Old 12-20-2007, 05:11 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm with you. Tires are quite literally where the "rubber meets the road". I tell folks all the time if you would have made Michael Jordan play basketball in loafers he wouldn't have been "Michael Jordan". Still good, and would embarass many others, but take his his sticky shoes away (tires in this analogy) and the performance will suffer in ways. Cutting and such, but he can still shoot.

I'll ship overseas. It's not a lot of fun to arrange it, but I will gladly do it!
For sure. If people don't believe how important tires are then I always say watch a Formula 1 race and count how many times the word tire comes up (all broadcast long).
Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 AM
cjb
Staging Lane

Default Strano springs arrived to Sweden!

This is soooo cool, a guy from Bax/Schenker just calld, telling me he got a box with a "spring set" for me! And her they are! Nothing was damage (not a scratch) and all the time I could track the order from US to Europe via Baxtrack/Schenker web.
Attached Thumbnails Strano springs, suspension and tires?-strano_springs_1.jpg  
Old 01-07-2008, 12:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Glad to know they made it safe and sound.... ENJOY!

Quick Reply: Strano springs, suspension and tires?