Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowered car and suspension travel

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowered car and suspension travel

I'm kind of confused on this issue. I always hear people say that you don't want to go to low because you lose a lot of suspension travel. What's so bad about that? If you have a car that is mainly a track car (road race or autocross) what difference does it make?

The way I am looking to set my car up is extremely low. Let's take the rear for example. I plan on using a coilover shock that is much shorter than stock...spring rates and dampners matching. The way I see it, on compression, I should be okay...the springs keeping the car off the bumpstops and the shocks keeping everything smooth. At full extension, obviously the rear end will not drop as much.

If you look at a GT-1 car for example, there is very little travel in their suspension. Now I know I am starting to compare apples and oranges, but the principle is the same isn't it?

So am I way off in my thinking, or is it logical?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you've got parts that were meant to go together, it's not that big a deal. for instance, you can get a set of shocks that are valved for a certain set of lowering springs, and the decrease in suspension travel will not matter as much, because the springs will likely have a higher rate to account for the decrease in travel.

when you hear about the decrease in travel being bad, it is usually when people are trying to use sportlines (or other similar springs) with standard stock-replacement shocks....in that case, it is VERY bad to have the decrease in shock travel, because the springs are not stiff enough to keep it off the bump stops.

it also does depend on the car's intended use. shock travel will be more important for a daily driven car than it will be for an auto-x or drag-only trailer queen, or a trailered show car.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...I was hoping I was on the right track. The car is going to see some street time, but I'm only looking at around 5" of travel. But everything sould match.

Quick Reply: Lowered car and suspension travel