Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New suspension is done! (need help!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New suspension is done! (need help!)

Well, after a ton (and I do mean a ton) of work, long hours, and sleepy days, I have done it. And heres my little review of each peice of the puzzle:

SLP subframe connectors: Awesome. Thats the only word. They stiffened the car up so much that you have to really be listening to find a squeek or rattle. Well worth the work to weld them in, and the ride height is barely hurt, if at all. The BMR tunnel brace killes the clearance (although, even on all my normal run-arounds, I havent yet to hit it) though, and I dont really know how much more it helps, but it hasnt hurt!

BMR poly/poly non adj. panhard rod: Kept me planted to the road at 150+ MPH tonight going over a rather large sway in the road which usually scares the crap out of me at anything over 100. Doesnt make any noise, and does its job. Cant complain.

SLP 1LE 32mm/21mm: Holy crapoly, these are nice. I paired them with all poly bushings from Energy Suspension and the difference was astounding. If I could only do one thing to my car, it would be these. I took a test curve (45mph 90*) at about 85, and wished I would have been going faster. I took another little in-town 4-way stop ad about 35 sideways and was in total control through the slide. *sniff* My first powerslide. *sniff*

G2 lower control arms: They plant the car to the road on takoff like nobodys buisness. As long as I keep my foot on the gas, I can feel the car begging for more road. They are still making the terrible banging noise, but I going to turn them around (poly on the body) and see what happens. I cant complaing overall.

BMR strut tower brace: Contrary to what alot of people say, I could tell a difference when I made hard, abrupt turns. This may be because my cas is a 98' and had quite a bit of flex to it. But I dunno. It sure looks neat though, and for 89 bucks, why not?

Overall, my car has a new feel to it: musclecar. Its no longer just a fast car, its a car that can take ANYthing you toss at it. It WILL dominate any car in my town around the twisties, and WILL beat them off the line, no exceptions. Having no fear is worth every penny I've sunk into this project.

Old 06-28-2003, 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: New suspension is done!

Your first powerslide.
I feel your joy, good job
Old 06-28-2003, 06:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"They are still making the terrible banging noise, but I going to turn them around (poly on the body) and see what happens."

Poly on the body, heim joint on the axle.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

"Poly on the body, heim joint on the axle."

Ya, I've been listening to Trackbird too long.

(Thanks again Kevin for all your help, it turned out great!)
Old 06-28-2003, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, I've been listening to Trackbird too long.

I should have warned you about that.....

Yea....Lou explained his thoughts on this (poly on body) and I can't argue with the explanation. I'm running Heim/Heim so I have no worries either way....(and I'm used to the noise).

I'm just glad you finally got it all together.....

Kevin

Old 06-29-2003, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, on the topic of the banging, Im beginning to wonder if maybe the e-brake bracket is doing it?

If youve messed with the LCAs, you know that the lca mount point comes down off the axel and has the bolt holes in it. But on the outside of that, also with bolt holes, is a black bracket that holds the e-brake line that comes from the center of the car. Well, on the drivers side, its as tight/secure as it can be, but the passenger side (where Im hearing the noise) is loose big time. The only thing actually holding it to the car is the e-brake line. Should it be like this?

My thoughts are that the nut/bolt are tightening up against the bracket, and the bracket is slipping around like a greased monkey, or at least a slightly wet one.

Anyhow, lemme know what you think!

Quick Reply: New suspension is done! (need help!)