Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car Sits uneven.... How Do I Fix It?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Sits uneven.... How Do I Fix It?

My car is on BMR springs and Stano revalves and it sits higher on the driver side then the passenger side.

It's weird because I have a driver side stealth box so theres more weight on the driver side.

What causes this?
And what can I do to fix it?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

im pretty shure its not the springs have u replaced your shocks. Because that could be the problem mine did that and i changed the shocks and it leveled back out the way is suppose to be.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine does that as well with my Eibach pro-kit. I heard it was meant to do that so when you sit in it on the driver's side, it evens out with the extra weight.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

I'll have to see if it sits lower with someone in it.

I have replaced the shocks with Strano Revalves.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Mine does the same thing on stock suspension (sits lower just on the pass/rear than driv/rear). I've seen many threads on this, but no one has come back with a good solution for fixing this. I don't think GM intended for the drivers side rear to sit higher than the pass/rear when no one is in the car. I've never heard of any other car in the GM lineup with the same problem.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRyder518
Mine does that as well with my Eibach pro-kit. I heard it was meant to do that so when you sit in it on the driver's side, it evens out with the extra weight.
bingo
Old 02-03-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

That picture might make it a little worse than it is since the front wheels are turned. Mine sits lower on the passanger side. I made a thread on it a couple of years ago. Mine was the worst I've ever seen posted. On my passanger side I couldn't get a finger between the fender and tire and on the driver side I could get 3 almost 4 fingers between. The really wierd part was it just happened one day. It always sat lower but only 1/4" at most and then it was almost 1" difference.

BTW I ended up adding a spring spacer to even out the car. I really think it's my rear end spring purch but I never have measured to be sure.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The springs control how the car sits. Most of the time its because they are uneven--especially stock. First check to make sure the springs are seated correctly in their perches. The bottoms of the rear springs should have the pigtails in the same orientation on each side. If that doesn't work, the other solution is a different set of springs or to cut the springs you have so they are even--which is what I did to mine.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Well my springs arent stock. and I'm worried about what cutting the springs will do to the spring rate.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
The springs control how the car sits. Most of the time its because they are uneven--especially stock. First check to make sure the springs are seated correctly in their perches. The bottoms of the rear springs should have the pigtails in the same orientation on each side. If that doesn't work, the other solution is a different set of springs or to cut the springs you have so they are even--which is what I did to mine.
In my case I changed springs and made sure they were seated the same way and still had the problem and it was the same amount with both sets of springs... Just because springs are swapped out or repositioned doesn't mean it will fix the problem.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Mine Is Equal............
Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
Well my springs arent stock. And I'm worried about what cutting the springs will do to the spring rate.
For that reason alone, I wouldn't cut the springs. Although it's a bit of work to change the front spring/shock assembly, I'd suggest swapping the left side to the right side, and see if that levels out the car. If not, then do the rears, they're a lot easier to do. At least this could rule out if it's an issue with the springs, or something in the car. Was the car level before the spring change?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

i think its becasue all the torque is transferred to the passenger side and it wears out more so it sags. my car sits like that and i have completely stock suspension.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Don't forget to ensure that there is not any preload on the LCA bushings. The LCA bolts need to be tightened at ride height (ideally). Jack the car up and loosen the LCA mounting bolts (you can even pull each end totally out of its seat, re-grease each bushing surface using some bushing grease, then put it back in place if you want - I recommend this). Set the car down to even ride height (use ramps if necessary - but be careful) and then incrementally tighten each LCA back to factory torque specs. This will remove any excessive bushing preload that can cause your F-body to sit and feel all wonky. This happened to my 2001 Z28 and after removing the preload, it felt great to drive and removed the slight tilt my car had. Dont torque down the LCA bolts with the rear end jacked-up and drive wheels hanging down in the breeze. If so you will cause a funky springboard effect from the rear of the car after tightening the LCA bolts that is a little unnerving at times - especially during brake-dive. It will also make the rear end feel more stiff than it really is - this is because the bushings get preloaded when the weight of the car is back on the wheels.

One other thing... make sure that your front coil springs AND rear coil springs are correctly clocked in their spring perches. If one is different than the other, the height will be a little different side-to-side.

These things may not be the exact problem, but in my experience, serve as good troubleshooting steps to eliminate the simple possibilities.
Good luck!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn this is the same problem I have with mine....

I just put koni's and the prokit on and thought it would fix the problem. I went to an alignment & frame shop and the owner told me to replace the knuckle/spindle and it would fix my alignment issue. WHY IN THE HELL IS IT NOT EVEN?????
Old 02-15-2008, 04:11 AM
TECH Addict

Passenger side of my TA has always been lower than DS from the day I took delivery with all the stock suspension.

I have since seriously upgraded the suspension including a Spohn TQ Arm that does not attach to tranny TS housing, and the ride stance has not changed.

If you have removed/replaced your rear springs it is important to align the bottom tail of the spring in the correct place in the spring pocket of rear end - if this is not in the correct place it will also change the ride height of the car somewhat.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mines off too. Running aftermarket suspension with strano's and Koni's. I think though its from the torque these beast put out and it just wears over time. I've only got 12k on my car too!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Mine did the same thing so I changed springs with some used ones and seem to fix it some but not all. I took out the spare tire and seem to fix it some more and now its off by a little cant really tell. I was going to buy some lower control arms to see if this will help some.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 AM
12 Second Club

mines on stock springs and shocks (only stock pieces left besides the kmember) and mine is perfectly even
Old 02-16-2008, 04:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is pretty even I noticed a little difference on my 90RS though.

Quick Reply: Car Sits uneven.... How Do I Fix It?