Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

two-piece design brake rotors > anybody got a recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default two-piece design brake rotors > anybody got a recommendation?

Would Bear Eradispeed Plus two-piece rotors for the front and one-piece for the rears be a the best OEM replacement for my car? I have 17" WS6 stock rims and I'd like to take off a little weight from the front of the car. I'm getting skinny wheels/tires for track outings, as well. Mine's a DD and see's the track 2-3 times a month.

I don't care much for the drilled rotors. The two-piece design for weight savings is what I need and I'm not finding anything I like in another brand that's a two-piece slotted design which is not cross-drilled. I'm looking for slotted ones of a two-piece design where the slots are not cut all the way to the outer edged of the rotors.

Anybody know of another alternative? I'm not looking at drag race brakes ... would love the Strange Pro Race Kit, but, for dailt driving they just don't dissipate heat well enough for a daily driver I was told.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Nobody?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my previous experience with them, Eradispeeds weren't all what they claimed to be. Sure they may have the floating hat, however when I weighed them compared to the Brembo OE blank replacements, they didn't weigh much less.

For the MSRP, the only thing I could say that they offer would be the ability to replace the friction rings, which aren't cheap either.

And you mentioned that you don't desire drills, but slots (which I say still isn't all that optimal since any type of friction face patterns sacrifices overall pad contact. Blank surface rotors with ventilation are still best). An alternative could also be to look at Coleman racing and see what custom floating rotor designs they could offer, however even those still don't come cheap.

Now, AFA a big brake kit upgrade, many do come with floating rotors, which sometimes do save noticeable weight for their size. Then again, they too are a huge cost as well.

My 2 cents would be to go for some quality OE blanks. Unless they're really cheap, it isn't really optimal to opt for floating rotors, unless you're generating lots of heat like many of the RR, ORR, and some HPDE drivers are doing (and even then some of them aren't even realising the full potential of the floating rotors).
Old 02-05-2008, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Foxxtron. I have followed your posts & threads on the forums here. You would be someone who would know. I may just opt out for some Brembo OEM blanks and call it a day ... maybe look to swap the front calipers/hubs with some race quality type stuff. I need the 15" skinnies to fit up front without grinding and save me little weight, as well. I don't mins spending some money on a setup.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem. BTW, just so you can see what from the website in case you do decide to go for a "custom" floating rotor, this should be it: http://www.colemanracing.com/

From previous catalogues, there should be a section that has a template for custom brake rotors. You just might want to take a look.

Also, there is this company that was pretty active here in this forum as well: http://www.revolutionbrake.com/

They used to be known as precision brakes, and they appear to offer some decent custom brake kits.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LAW Motorsports has been working with Performance Speed Tech to source such a brake rotor.

www.performancespeedtech.com

Call them and ask for AJ ... ask for AJ!

Explain that the LAW Motorsports guys sent you (they're one of my sponsors) and tell AJ what you are wanting.

FYI ... they are closed on Monday/Tuesday.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My custom kit was originally purchased from Precision/Revolution Brakes, but after many months of back and forth and being jerked around I ended up designing most of my kit.
It uses Coleman rotors, and I designed center hats...

Old 02-05-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're from Bremerton? Too bad I've never seen you around before.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
You're from Bremerton? Too bad I've never seen you around before.
The cars been in the garage for over 2 years now, BUT I just got the money to order the engine and finish it up. So hopefully it will be close to done by late summer. Sorry for the thread jack
Old 02-05-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

No thread jack concerns at all. I appreciate you taking the time to post pics ... been following your threads and how you sold your '93 car and saved for 2 years to build your new one. Been thinking about doing something similar. Warhawk build is gonna' be totally awesome. I like the looks of your brake combo. Can you PM me or post up what your selected combination is for the brakes/rotors.

Is that a BIG BRAKE setup or 11" calipers? Which Wilwood 4-piston calipers? Did you switch from those Precision Brake rotors in the pics to the Coleman rotors? What hubs? Same setup front AND rears? Nice to see somebody doin' it 'right' !!!! I can tell a lot of planning has gone into your setup/build.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, it's been a long time coming to get the 95 done!
The brake kit was originally ordered from Precision/Revolution Brakes as a 16" front and rear kit. The front was supposed to use a Wilwood BSL6 (6 piston) caliper and the rear was a BSL4 (4 piston) with an external parking brake. After about 4 months of nothing I called and they were in the middle of the company change over, and no one really knew anything about my kit. So after a month of back and forths with the owner, I was told that the selected calipers will not work with the 16" rotors. So I settled with the 15" rotors, and they finished the kit and sent it out to me.

Once it arrived I was so excited, and opened the boxes to find iron hats on a $6000 brake kit!!!! So I sent the hats back and got $500 back, because they wanted to charge me $2000 more for aluminum hats. I ended up designing my own hats and had them machined locally. Once I finally mocked the kit on the car I noticed the BSL6 on the front was too small, so I sent the BSL6 back and paid an extra $400 (I think) for Wilwoods new SUV TC6 caliper. I had to design a new front mount to mount the TC6.

Kit Specifications:
Front:
-Caliper: Wilwood TC6 6 piston
-Rotor: 15" Coleman w/custom aluminum hats
-Spindle: Stock
-Mount: My Design
Rear:
-Caliper: Wilwood BSL4 4 piston
-Rotors: 15" Coleman w/custom aluminum hats
-E-Brake: Precision Brake Mr. Parker
-Mount: Precision Brake Design

Cost: $6000+

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
No thread jack concerns at all. I appreciate you taking the time to post pics ... been following your threads and how you sold your '93 car and saved for 2 years to build your new one. Been thinking about doing something similar. Warhawk build is gonna' be totally awesome. I like the looks of your brake combo. Can you PM me or post up what your selected combination is for the brakes/rotors.

Is that a BIG BRAKE setup or 11" calipers? Which Wilwood 4-piston calipers? Did you switch from those Precision Brake rotors in the pics to the Coleman rotors? What hubs? Same setup front AND rears? Nice to see somebody doin' it 'right' !!!! I can tell a lot of planning has gone into your setup/build.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

Holy hell those are large. That secondary calipers on the rear is the e-brake, right? How's that work? Did it hook up to your stock cables? Can I come drool on the car?

Quick Reply: two-piece design brake rotors > anybody got a recommendation?