Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LS1 to C5 brakes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 to C5 brakes worth it?

I want honest opinions please. Ok,I have already upgraded fron the LT1 brakes and its better ;however, I want to know if upgrading to the C5's are worth it or should I just pay more for Baer,ssbc,wilowood,ect...?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion is yes and not just because we sell the kits.

When going from the LT1 brakes to C5 there is a larger difference then the LS1 to C5 but still a noticeable difference.

The nice thing about the C5 upgrade over the other kits is- The C5 brake parts are readily available almost anywhere include parts stores. The rotor and pad options are high too, meaning you do not need to stick with a certain rotor or pad.

If you would like any information regarding the upgrade please contact us or you may also visit the link below.

http://www.umiperformance.com/page.php?page=c5conv

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

I purchased UMI's C5 kit last month, and freakin love it!! My car will go into a complete nosedive by applying only moderate pressure. With light pressure applied, it's even easy to see the difference between the rotor sizes. They just grab so damn good!

I also love the fact that I'm not limited at all in choosing pad / rotor choices.
Aside from the fact that my aftermarket rim's backspacing wouldn't clear the calipers (Stock rims do), it's been the most worth-while addition to my TA. IMO, safety is numero uno. I mean, if you can't stop on a dime from 80, why cram thousands of dollars worth of go-fast-goodies in your car?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Kikaofazz
I purchased UMI's C5 kit last month, and freakin love it!!
Excellent to hear
Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

C5 pad, rotors, and calipers are so much cheaper and easier to get than Wilwood, etc. That alone makes it worth it in my book.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have LS1 brakes? If you do I would go with Wilwood or something because you can get some rotors and hawk pads and make the LS1 brakes pretty damn good, I mean they are pretty much the same thing. But the Wilwood etc are on the expensive side.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

I have enjoyed this bolt-on mod. If you hunt around, do your research, you can do this without a ton of dough, and if you are handy with basic hand tools, you can do the installation yourself.

The only downside is adding a little unsrung weight from the bigger rotors but it is not too bad. You will need 17 inch wheels or bigger; right?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys.Thats pretty much what i thought.I will get them through UMI great ppl to do buisness with.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a yes on the 17" rims At least with factory rims
Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Can you just buy a set of OEM C5 brakes and rotors or do you need an adaption kit to go with it? Cus I am thinking about buying UMI's stuff, but if i went to go buy new pads, what year C5 do i put down for them?!
Also, can you use the C5 rear brakes too? Or can you only fit the fronts on there?
Also, Is there a difference between the C5 and C5 Z06 brakes?
Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

so the 98-02 front calipers on the F-body are the same as the 97-04 vette front calipers right?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The caliper pistons are slightly smaller on the C5 calipers compared to the LS1 f-body calipers.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Black02LS1
Can you just buy a set of OEM C5 brakes and rotors or do you need an adaption kit to go with it? Cus I am thinking about buying UMI's stuff, but if i went to go buy new pads, what year C5 do i put down for them?!
Also, can you use the C5 rear brakes too? Or can you only fit the fronts on there?
Also, Is there a difference between the C5 and C5 Z06 brakes?
Our conversion brackets are designed to work with the factory C5 brake parts. All you need is C5 components from any 97-04 Corvette.

If you need anymore help please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TooSlow02
The caliper pistons are slightly smaller on the C5 calipers compared to the LS1 f-body calipers.
so the stock caliper and bracket off a F-body will work with these C5 convertion brackets from UMI?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
so the stock caliper and bracket off a F-body will work with these C5 convertion brackets from UMI?
No. UMI's kit REQUIRES the use of C5 calipers, PAB, and pads. It also requires cutting the spindles to mount the brackets. The upside is you get all new hardware, more durable calipers, better brake bias, and more + cheaper rotor and pad options.

Only LG's brackets allow the use of either f-body or C5 calipers and pads. That's the route I went.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/877090-c5-front-brakes-lg-brackets-noticeable-upgrade.html
I added the LG brackets and rotors only with my Hawk pads and it stops noticeably harder. It is said actual braking power is better with the f-body calipers, to the point that it shifts braking bias to the front a bit. In my mind, this is better for a street car, worse for an AutoX car. Besides, firmer dampers and a torque arm offset the extra nosedive on my car.

Both routes allow the use of OEM parts available at any dealer/parts store, which was one of my requirements.

This upgrade was well worth it, can't wait to redo all the pads and rotors again, along with some SS brake lines.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Complete UMI C5 brakeing kit here with brembo blanks, hawk HP-plus pads, Sams Strano's choice of brake lines that include even the TCS lines in the rear. Without a doubt this is the greatest upgrade one could do for our cars poor factor braking.

The cost and performance you get I just don't see much reason in getting anything else and the build quality of the brackets and included hardware are great. I love this mod.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so from what i just read the calipers on the c5 are no better then the f body ones? so what is it just the larger rotor that helps them stop so much better?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
so from what i just read the calipers on the c5 are no better then the f body ones? so what is it just the larger rotor that helps them stop so much better?
The C5 caliper is better from an endurance standpoint. C5 = forged, f-body = cast. Many people spread open f-body stuff because it gets hot enough to get soft. The extra stopping power definitely comes from the bigger rotor, but the calipers are much better if you really work your brakes (read: road course).

For most people, you will never get the brakes hot enough to notice the difference (it's impossible on the street).
Old 03-16-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

I almost did this upgrade but I really had a hard time justifying 300 dollars for brackets from LG. I really feel they are overpriced, well just LG in general. Especially when you can get the brackets where you need to cut the spindles for 150 from BMR
BCB001 Front - 1993-02 Camaro and Firebird. Adapter brackets only. $149.95
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyBrakes.htm

but I really did not want to have to cut the spindles

No. UMI's kit REQUIRES the use of C5 calipers, PAB, and pads. It also requires cutting the spindles to mount the brackets. The upside is you get all new hardware, more durable calipers, better brake bias, and more + cheaper rotor and pad options.
why does the UMI brackets require C5 calipers?