Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pirelli DOT radials?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pirelli DOT radials?

Hey folks, I was at a tire shop today and notice a whole crapload of wide low profile tires on the used tire mound.

I took a look at them and the tires were 275/40/17 and they were Pirelli PZeros. These were DOT racing tires and they were used as such {lots of wadded up rubber on them}, looks like a tire that was used for practice. Lots of heat but not much time on them.

Anyway, the tread wear rating on these tires were 60 just like my Yoko 032Rs. I'm sorta perplexed here, I never knew that Pirelli made a DOT race tire. The tires have seen some serious heat but there is still decent tread {sorta like V700s at half tread}. Would these tires be worth getting for use in Open track or AutoXs or would the be too hard from the heat cycling? The only event I go to are for fun, no serious stuff so if they are a second a lap slower-so be it.

I'm close to Road Atlanta and I'm wondering if Pirelli was testing a new tire? There were also quite a few PZero slicks on the mound also.
Any thoughts on these tires.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Pirelli DOT radials?

I've never seen them....sounds interesting...

I did find these:

http://www.pirellicompetizioni.com/e...Q3IPFYKJOPCFEY

But, no 275/40-17, does the tread pattern match any of these? I'm starting to wonder what these are myself.

Old 07-13-2003, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Pirelli DOT radials?

Yep, you found em. They are the P Zero C tires. Maybe that is a old site that has not been updated because I did not see the 275s.