Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I love my Strano/Koni suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up I love my Strano/Koni suspension!

so I'm at Willow Springs for the weekend preparing for a race next month and i had a chance to get the SS on the Streets of Willows track...its smaller and a much more technical track then the main course. I have Strano springs and front rear sways with Koni 4/4s, stock rims and worn out GSD3s..stock rotors/pads @39k miles and 6 spd. the car felt very neutral and was very responsive! a guy took a new 997 around it at a 1:16 going about 90% and i went a low 1:26 @ about 80%...my brakes and tires are crap right now, i didnt want to push it too hard (still have to drive 1.5 hours home). but the car tracks out very well, is very predictable at all areas of cornering, and is just a great setup to go along with a DD!

Thanks again Sam, I love it! and I'll try to get pics up in the next couple days, i havent seen em yet, so i dont know how good they are showing the susp work
Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds great, this is the same setup I want and most likely with order this spring! Great to hear the news!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

I was pretty amazed when I took it autoxing the way it handled. It reminded me of when I co drove my friend's BMW E46 328. The beemer obviously is more comfortable, but the feel is very similar. It's how every car should feel no matter if its tracked or daily driven.

I don't miss having to adjust my driving to the rear breaking loose every time the car rotated from bumpstop to bumpstop on the stock springs.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

oh, to clarify a little, the only place the 997 could pull away from me was he could out brake me (too bad i dont have carbon brakes :o ) into the turns and a little on the straights..besides having a little better line then him, i could reel him back in through the turns

trying to get the pics still
Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a good time. I have the same setup and have have to say i love mine as well.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
oh, to clarify a little, the only place the 997 could pull away from me was he could out brake me (too bad i dont have carbon brakes :o ) into the turns and a little on the straights..besides having a little better line then him, i could reel him back in through the turns

Now that's what I like to hear!

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice numbers.
For comparison R&T lapped the new EVO and STi at streets of willow:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...rx_lapping.pdf
Of course it was a different day, but regardless you went faster then them...
Old 02-19-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

NEED PICS!!!!

Sounds like an awsome day
Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Nice numbers.
For comparison R&T lapped the new EVO and STi at streets of willow:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...rx_lapping.pdf
Of course it was a different day, but regardless you went faster then them...
whoa! nice find, i had no idea! thats makes me feel better, hahahaha..nowi just need to get the brakes done, then i'll slaughter those times
Old 02-19-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

my dad said he would get the pics to me today, i guess he got lazy, hopefully tomorrow
Old 02-20-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Resident

Congrats on the new setup, dude!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

thanks ryan!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on the new setup and seeing really how an improved suspension on these cars make for a much better setup, including open track sessions. AFA the brakes are concerned, you'll probably realise significantly better braking once you have the tyres and brake pads that are approriate for the task. AFA Carbon Ceramic Rotors are concerned, those mostly improve the endurace rather than the braking distance. The optimal method to improve braking distance is...

putting the car on a weight loss plan, along with a weight balance plan.

Funny thing recently is that the FF GTM kit supercar w/stock C5 brakes manages to outbrake most supercars with those 30,000 USD Carbon Ceramic brake systems.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Congrats on the new setup and seeing really how an improved suspension on these cars make for a much better setup, including open track sessions. AFA the brakes are concerned, you'll probably realise significantly better braking once you have the tyres and brake pads that are approriate for the task. AFA Carbon Ceramic Rotors are concerned, those mostly improve the endurace rather than the braking distance. The optimal method to improve braking distance is...

putting the car on a weight loss plan, along with a weight balance plan.

Funny thing recently is that the FF GTM kit supercar w/stock C5 brakes manages to outbrake most supercars with those 30,000 USD Carbon Ceramic brake systems.

ya, but as you know the 997 brakes are much better then fbody's in all ways

for now, i'm just putting some new stock replacement rotors on, xp10 pads for front and panther plus for rears with superblue fluid...so that'll be a huge step up from stock everything brake wise... then later when i save more $ maybe the AP setup or wilwood or 997s..and ya, i'm lookin for good deals on 4 17x11 ZR1s i can put some R-compounds on

i heard about that, quite impressive, but for a car that weighs in at ~2500lbs, i hope so!

the only pic my dad sent me with the SS:

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Thats bad *** man most people think f-bodys handle like **** too.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Thats Cool Dude That **** Looks Sick . .....bitch Handels
Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
Thats bad *** man most people think f-bodys handle like **** too.
stock they do
Old 02-22-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
stock they do
yea...but i've been able to max out stock capabilities for a while

so it was never really that fun for me until I went with the Strano/Koni steup
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Yeh they do suck in stock form but most people think they can never handle well. My thirdgen seemed to handle a lot better in stock form then my 4thgen though.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya, but as you know the 997 brakes are much better then fbody's in all ways

for now, i'm just putting some new stock replacement rotors on, xp10 pads for front and panther plus for rears with superblue fluid...so that'll be a huge step up from stock everything brake wise... then later when i save more $ maybe the AP setup or wilwood or 997s..and ya, i'm lookin for good deals on 4 17x11 ZR1s i can put some R-compounds on
I'm not trying to turn this thread into a conflict of sorts or hijack, however as I know, the only aspects I find optimal about the 997 brakes are the friction ring material of the rotors, which are carbon ceramic, and the one-piece caliper. Otherwise, too much rotor which can result in excessive rotational mass and a more than necessary larger caliper to add more front unsprung weight. Also, what the 997 has is a mostly rear biased weight distribution, which is the bigger influence with concerns with braking distances (I'd say that the dampers are the next biggest influence).

As several of the FRRAX guys can note as well, to effectively improve braking distances, not only must you try to optimally remove as much weight from the vehicle (without sacrificing stiffness and safety), but also try to move more of the weight towards the centre of the vehicle (most optimal, but rarely possible) or towards the rear (still optimal, but increases pendular momentum).

Bear in mind this article, and this guy like myself knows all too well about the hype behind some braking systems:

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=98

Pretty much what you'll eventually opt for will more than likely be well adequate for the streets of willow. If you must choose a big brake system, bear in mind that the system should be well thought out with respects to not only rotor and caliper design in themselves, but also the vehicle application. While the StopTech ST-40 caliper appears exactly the same for every application, it's also apparent that their piston sizes are unique to the F-body kit they sell. Their reasoning is to not only design a big brake system to endure serious track duty, but also to ensure that the brake system biasing is appropriate as well.

These are significant reasons I have selected a system like this, because even though I could save money and/or get a much fancier design through other aftermarket and/or DIY setups, I feel they usually don't have the proper R&D behind them to warrant the spending. This is especially important if you're planning to retain the stock brake modules.

Once again, congrats and kick butt at the Streets of Willow.

Quick Reply: I love my Strano/Koni suspension!