Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

replace vacuum booster with hydro-booster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default replace vacuum booster with hydro-booster?

The new mustangs have a hydro-booster instead of the big vacuum boosters we have on our f-bodies.

Has anyone looked into replacing the factory vacuum booster with the mustang(or GM version) hydro-booster and run it off the factory power steering?

It would work better (more breaking force) and not put load on engines with high durration/tight LSA cams.

Old 07-14-2003, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: replace vacuum booster with hydro-booster?

My friend has a 99 GT and I noticed the Hydroboost on it. Audi is using a similar system as well on some vehicles (I think it even pumps up the lifters). I've not looked into the conversion, but I will mention that LS1 Power Steering pumps are known to run quite hot at times, I'm not sure how well they will do with "extra" load. This is just a random thought, the extra fluid volume may help to cool them, but it is something to consider....It sounds like a neat idea.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Way too much work for way too little convenience. My guess is the "breaking"[sic] force wouldn't increase by much if any at all. Maybe if you were converting your LS1 to a diesel, than maybe I would consider swapping to hydroboost. Haha.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

every article/write up I have read about this conversion has almost doubled the clamp force.....
Old 07-16-2003, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd suspect the gains could be impressive. I think it could be done, but I've not looked at the specifics. If you have the extra cash to make the attempt, I'd say "go for it".
Old 07-17-2003, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

The way I understand it, when the ABS kicks in, clamping force has already exceeded tire traction. So by doing a complicated conversion to hydroboost to supposedly double clamping force, will essentially do nothing unless you double tire traction. At that same token, wouldn't it be easier so simply install a double diaphragm vacuum brake booster or a larger diameter booster to get the same double clamping force effect? If this were truly effective though, Wilwood and Baer would be selling hydroboost conversions and double diaphragm boosters like hotcakes.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

True, but on a car with a large cam, there is less vac. assist. In that case, you may not be able to engage the abs. If that is the case (I'm guessing it is), it would be a benefit.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

True, but on a car with a large cam, there is less vac. assist. In that case, you may not be able to engage the abs. If that is the case (I'm guessing it is), it would be a benefit.
Aren't there auxillary vacuum pumps so you don't rob from the engine.

The power steering pumps are cheapy inefficent gear pumps this is one reason for their hot running. Being next to the engine doesn't help with heat either. So loading them with more work to do is not a good idae

Factory stuff as well as aftermarket products are a compromise between weight, efficentcy, cost and durability.

Do it and let us know what you break or if you still can.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

I will mention that LS1 Power Steering pumps are known to run quite hot at times, I'm not sure how well they will do with "extra" load.

The power steering pumps are cheapy inefficent gear pumps this is one reason for their hot running. Being next to the engine doesn't help with heat either. So loading them with more work to do is not a good idae

Well....we seem to think alike....

Quick Reply: replace vacuum booster with hydro-booster?