Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: What Rotor will perform the best and have provide the longest lifespan
Brembo Blank Rotors
60.00%
Power Slot Slotted Rotors
6.00%
Power Slot Cryogenic Slotted Rotors
14.00%
Other
22.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Need rotor advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need rotor advice

I am currently running Power Slot Rotors but they are covered in surfaces cracks and the rear is beginning to vibrate during braking over 50. I am looking an inexpensive replacement rotor whether it be another set of power slots or something else. I want a rotor that will resist surface cracks and which use high quality casting and materials, or at least the best that can be offered at an inexpensive price. I am not interested in drilled rotors, generic(auto parts store brand) or big brake kits.

If you vote please explain your reasoning and if you vote other please specify
I am new to looking for aftermarket rotors but have done some reading.

Last edited by kny3twalker; 02-18-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I voted for the brembo blanks which I have. More surface area for the pad to grab onto and no excessive use of the pads due to slotting or cross drilled rotors. If your rear rotors are messed up, is it because of burnouts? If so, get a linelock. Also, make sure you bed the pads into the rotors properly, don't shock the rotors with excessive heat by braking too hard in the bedding process.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

are the brembo blanks a better quality rotor than the power slots, ignoring the slots on the power slot rotors of course? I am just noticing that the brembos are about 3/4 to 1/2 the price of the power slots.
I am not sure what has caused the vibration but if replacing my rotors will fix it, thats what I will do, but I do doubt it was burn outs.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty much in line with what's been stated so far, my vote goes for the Brembo Blank replacement rotor, or nearly like product.

AFA, the powerslots go, I have had the same experience as mentioned as well, with all of the cracks.

The only comparible product that comes to mind would be the Centric parts premium blank rotors. I had my doubts about these OE replacements at one point, however once I ran them, they really held up to the test of time. It doesn't hurt that the rotor hats are coated on the hat area to resist oxidisation.

An FYI about Centric Parts, they are the company that recently acquired StopTech, which is a quality manufacturer of big brakes. On Stoptech's website, they've also acquired Power Performance Group, the company that produced the powerslot rotor.

Just something I thought I should share.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

The only comparible product that comes to mind would be the Centric parts premium blank rotors. I had my doubts about these OE replacements at one point, however once I ran them, they really held up to the test of time. It doesn't hurt that the rotor hats are coated on the hat area to resist oxidisation.

An FYI about Centric Parts, they are the company that recently acquired StopTech, which is a quality manufacturer of big brakes. On Stoptech's website, they've also acquired Power Performance Group, the company that produced the powerslot rotor.

Just something I thought I should share.
I checked out StopTech's website and I saw they sold 1 piece rotors, either blank, slotted and/or drilled. Any idea if these are the same rotors as the centric premiums? Also where's a good site online to find rotors, that has a good customer service?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My OE rotors started to warp around 20,000 miles. Had them blanchard ground, and they stayed good for around another 20K. I replaced them with Bendix rotors from the local discount parts house. They've been goo for the last 25K..........
Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
I checked out StopTech's website and I saw they sold 1 piece rotors, either blank, slotted and/or drilled. Any idea if these are the same rotors as the centric premiums? Also where's a good site online to find rotors, that has a good customer service?
That's a good question since the acquisition is recent. AFA I'm aware, they shouldn't be, since the Centric parts premium rotors are blanks, and the stoptech 1-piece rotors are slotted and/or drilled.

If you google search for Centric parts, the website should appear with contact information whenwhen you peruse. I would like to post the website, however I don't know it they're a currently registered sponsor here on this site.

My previous experience with StopTech themselves have been excellent as I had several phone consultations with their sales reps about their products. They pretty much remained with the engineering aspects while stating afterwards, "there pretty much isn't any sales pitch" for any of our products. This is a reason I continue to purchase from them.

AFA Bendix rotors, I purchase them here in Australia for my BMW track car, and they're quality as well.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

I have Power stop Slotted / Drilled Rotors for 3 years and no issues
Old 02-19-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Napa cheapie blanks. I see no reason to pay Brembo or Powerslot prices for zero upgrade in stopping performance.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Napa cheapie blanks. I see no reason to pay Brembo or Powerslot prices for zero upgrade in stopping performance.
I am willing to pay a premium cause I want rotors that will not warp or develop surface cracks, well if they at least last longer before these problems develop. also if they were zinc coated to prevent rust that would be a huge plus
Old 02-21-2008, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

My stock rotors started warping at under 10k miles with relatively mild driving. I'm like you - I want quality at a reasonable price, and above all, don't want something that will warp again.

I went with Brembo blanks from a sponsor here, who also did cryo treating. I waited for over 6 months until the Brembos got back in stock. They will be going on the car this weekend.

One of my primary concerns was I would not put on rotors made in China. I don't care who sells them, if they are made in China, quality control is marginal. I won't put their sh*t on my car unless there is no other choice.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

which sponsor sells cryo treated brembos?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/834900-brembo-blank-now-instock.html

Lets see if I did the link right. If not, I got them from Mike at Rotorsonline.com

Got exactly what I ordered, on time. Good vendor.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my autozone blank rotors and they're doing just fine, i would have got brembo's but they were on national backorder...
Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Launching!

brembo blanks
Old 02-23-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

what are you all that are voting other buying?
Old 03-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Teching In

I voted for the cyro treated rotors because the resist warping. Not sure what blanks PS uses but i heard they use Brembo blanks from somewhere. It would be sweet to have Brembo blanks slotted and cryo treated. I could be wrong on that. One thing i know for sure, PS is cryo treating thier own rotors now.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Teching In

which sponsor sells cryo treated brembos?
any rotor can get cryo treated. frozen rotors will treat any rotor but you have to provide.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

any rotor can get cryo treated. frozen rotors will treat any rotor but you have to provide
mike at rotorsonline cryo treated and zinced my brembo blanks that I bought, and he gave me a great price. I bought hawk hps pads and SS lines as well.

I voted for the cyro treated rotors because the resist warping. Not sure what blanks PS uses but i heard they use Brembo blanks from somewhere. It would be sweet to have Brembo blanks slotted and cryo treated. I could be wrong on that. One thing i know for sure, PS is cryo treating thier own rotors now.
I called powerslot to ask what they use, they gave me a vague answer saying that you might get brembos, or centrics, or whatever supplier they were using. In the future they will all be centrics though. If you want slotted and cryo treated I would probably go with the powerslots though, centrics are nice blanks.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am willing to pay a premium cause I want rotors that will not warp or develop surface cracks, well if they at least last longer before these problems develop. also if they were zinc coated to prevent rust that would be a huge plus
The warping is all in the driving style and events that occur... If you get any rotor hot enough and then have to slam on the brakes, they're going to warp.. And once they start to warp, they never get better until you get them turned...

I'm planning on doing a little brake job friday/this weekend... Hopefully a light turn and some pads will clear everything up..